Author Topic: Morning after  (Read 10165 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Morning after
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:30:46 am »
To me it seems odd that after the FIRST tent scene when Ennis awakens that he has no covers on top of him, Jack has his jacket on, Pretty much in the same position as when ennis first stumbled in. I would have thought that Ennis might wake halfway on top of Jack especially the way Jack had his right  hand in both of his. I don't think Jack would have purposly left Ennis uncovered.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 08:54:46 am by Phillip »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Morinig after
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:43:45 am »
I think Ennis probably passed out again afterwards.  LOL   He sure looked hung over in the morning.    Note how they both put their jackets back on after the sex.     As for Jack being under the covers,  I think we all have gone to bed in the summer without the covers on, then woke in the morning to find that we must have felt cold in the night and pulled the sheets over ourselves without remembering doing so.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:52:02 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 11:17:55 am »
I think Ennis probably passed out again afterwards.  LOL   He sure looked hung over in the morning.    Note how they both put their jackets back on after the sex.     As for Jack being under the covers,  I think we all have gone to bed in the summer without the covers on, then woke in the morning to find that we must have felt cold in the night and pulled the sheets over ourselves without remembering doing so.

Ennis never took his jacket off. It was a cold night but maybe Ennis was warm enough with Jack.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 11:51:01 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:41:25 am »
Just a quick thought (and I'm not one for putting the book over the film): there was a passage in the short story that talks about Ennis not feeling the cold like Jack did.  Something about sitting around the camp fire with Ennis in a shirt while Jack says something like "it may be summer over there but over here it's winter".  It also fits with the Yin/Yang conversation about Ennis being hot while Jack is cold (not in the sexual sense of course).  Then we have just the practical sense that Ennis has momentarily pushed off the covers just before the camera cuts to Ennis waking up (after all Jack putting his jacket back on is unseen also).
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 09:00:33 am »
Just a quick thought (and I'm not one for putting the book over the film): there was a passage in the short story that talks about Ennis not feeling the cold like Jack did.  Something about sitting around the camp fire with Ennis in a shirt while Jack says something like "it may be summer over there but over here it's winter".  It also fits with the Yin/Yang conversation about Ennis being hot while Jack is cold (not in the sexual sense of course).  Then we have just the practical sense that Ennis has momentarily pushed off the covers just before the camera cuts to Ennis waking up (after all Jack putting his jacket back on is unseen also).

I think you're probably right about Ennis not minding the cold as much as Jack. This would be an area where the film is true to the character as created by Annie Proulx. "Annie's Ennis" doesn't even wear socks! (When he strips to wash, Jack particularly notices no underwear and no socks, so this is one area where "Ang's Ennis" differs [Heath wears socks].) "Annie's Ennis" "steps around" all year in worn boots, jeans, and a shirt, and adds the canvas coat in cold weather, and I've never thought that coat that Heath wears looks particularly warm. And in story and film, it's Jack who bitches about the "friggin' cold" weather.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:34:32 pm »
Oh my God, he wears socks in the movie and not in the book...  :o

Come on now, that is one minuscule detail.

Jack probably didn't fall asleep directly after they had sex. And people do move in their sleep sometimes; maybe Jack hogged a lot of the covers while he was sleeping.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:52:22 pm by bbm_stitchbuffyfan »
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 11:57:31 pm »
In a film in which significance can be found in things like the position of a coffee pot and kettle on an outdoor grill, or whether or not a fan is whirling, or what color shirt a character is wearing, or someone's prediction of an overnight snow -- in a film when all those miniscule details contain some deep narrative meaning, who's to say that socks aren't important?

Personally, I can't imagine what socks might mean. Maybe nothing. But I'll also say that I skipped the buckets thread for weeks, assuming there couldn't possibly be anything interesting to say about buckets -- and then, when I finally did check it out, was blown away.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:11:57 am »
Actually, I've wondered, off and on, why on earth Annie Proulx included that detail about Ennis not wearing socks. So I've never owned a pair of cowboy boots, but I've spent a heck of a lot of time in leather hiking boots. And they get NASTY after a few weeks on my feet. And they feel slimey if I ever put them on without socks.

Now, I realize there's a big difference between walking and riding. But... leather cowboy boots. No socks. Ick.

So is Proulx saying something about Ennis's poverty -- he can't even afford socks and underwear? (And no parents to buy them for birthday presents. It's a silly thought, but it makes me go :( ) Or something about Ennis's stoicism... this guy can suffer through anything -- look, he doesn't even wear socks.

And was Ang Lee saying something different? Or did Heath just put his, ummmmm, foot down? ;)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:32:56 am »
And was Ang Lee saying something different? Or did Heath just put his, ummmmm, foot down?

However much Ennis doesn't mind the friggin' cold in (most) other situations, perhaps - by making a relatively big point of him removing those hefty socks - they wanted to impress on us that  he's got cold feet in more ways than one?

;)

ETA: FWIW, I've always considered Jack wearing his jacket when they wake up after the FNIT as a continuity error. I know it can be explained by him having dug it out from under the two of them and putting it back on neatly during the night, but...... It still just *looks* like a continuity thing to me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 06:02:52 am by Mikaela »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 08:42:47 am »
ETA: FWIW, I've always considered Jack wearing his jacket when they wake up after the FNIT as a continuity error. I know it can be explained by him having dug it out from under the two of them and putting it back on neatly during the night, but...... It still just *looks* like a continuity thing to me.

I think we need to see all the other takes of the first tent scene to find out. You know, to see if Jack takes off his jacket in all of them. Supposedly Jake tends to play his takes quite differently from one another...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.