Author Topic: Why are we like this?  (Read 107648 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Why are we like this?
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2006, 04:17:59 pm »
ednbarby and isabelle,

I LOVE both of your posts.   8)

And, for the record I completely agree that this film has changed my life for the better too.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

karen1129

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2006, 05:59:56 pm »
I will never forget this film, til my dying day.  I still think about Jack and Ennis every night when I go to bed.  The impact it had on me is something I am grateful for.  The best thing it did for me..... and I'm really not sure why, or how.... is it
made me get all the negatives out of my life.  My thinking is defininetly different, and for that, I am grateful.  No negativity in my life.  Won't allow it from others that are around me either.

Does that make sense?

Karen

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2006, 06:26:52 pm »
I have continued to enumerate our special connections with the universe and how this film has affected them in all of my postings, here, and even moreso on IMDB, when my posts were left alone by the various trolls that resided there. We are not "sick puppies" or anything else sick for feeling this way about this particular film. We are not the first people to connect with a film in such a deep, resounding way, and we will not be the last. Many of us have been surprised by our connection to the film, and so many of us are still deer caught in the headlights, but this is not the first time that it has been experienced.

If you do not believe me, look at some of the Sufi mystic poetry of the twelfth century, or at some of the fourteenth century works inspired by the church or the rebirth of classicism. No work of art during the Renaissance came from a small amount of spiritual connection with the subjects that inspired them. Everything about the Renaissance, from its redefined concept of the soul to the new artistic expansions of universal views, was brought about by some spiritual or artistic experience: an aesthetic one to be certain, but perhaps something deeper.

It would not be too far from the truth to perceive our response and the growth of this community as a Renaissance. We have connected to a deep moment of art so profound that it is transforming every facet of our being. As the community grows, and we learn to explore all of these facets, we can nurture the Renaissance within ourselves, and thus sponsor a Renaissance which may indeed be capable of transforming some lesser aspects of human civilization. Perhaps we happy few have been called to dedicate ourselves to this subtle but powerful transformation: to aid the expansion of human consciousness; to translate heartache to heart-growth; to mold our lives into dedicated if flawed mirrors of the ideal; to alter the underlying beliefs of humanity which have so far been of little use to our spiritual manifest destiny.

Can it be that we are the first artists, philosophers, and aestheticists of the New Renaissance? Will the human perspective grow from this experience or be diminished? Whoever has started this thread has asked why we are like this? I wonder now if this should be what we are asking. Is it not more important to understand how we are to use our reactions and responses to this incredible and beautiful story to grow beyond what we were before?
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2006, 06:48:45 pm »
Whoever has started this thread has asked why we are like this? I wonder now if this should be what we are asking. Is it not more important to understand how we are to use our reactions and responses to this incredible and beautiful story to grow beyond what we were before?

As the aforementioned person who started this thread, I would argue that both are valid questions, and that seeking the answers to either can help us grow beyond what we were before. But thank you, Daniel, for a beautiful post! As always, you've offered some valuable insights and ideas.  :D

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2006, 07:27:54 pm »
My thinking is defininetly different, and for that, I am grateful.  No negativity in my life.  Won't allow it from others that are around me either.

Does that make sense?

Karen

Absolutely, Karen. It makes sense to me as I am striving to kick all negativity, coming from me or people I have to live or work with, out of my life.

But it is taking me so bloody long! OK, not 4 f****** years, but almost one, and I haven't started being really truthful yet with the people around me, in "real" life (I am truthful here! And Amanda I agree, keeping these visits to Bettermost is a very enjoyable little secret!).
I am slow, I am worried; I am going to cause turmoil when I start *speaking* to the persons around me; but I can feel it is all about to come out, I am about to spill the beans :o  :laugh:. It's taken time, but by the end of this month I think things will have been spoken.

Namely, that I am ashamed I could not put up with this society's (France's)  bitter homophobia 13 years ago, and I chose a "normal" (squirm squirm) life with a guy over my clandestine love with my lovely.

I am 40; not too late to let everyone know I have come to my senses. I just think I would feel so happy and liberated just by saying it to everyone I know! And, I do think it is the least I can do: I owe it to Brokeback Mountain.
I feel I have no right to let this film down, or all my posting here will have been meaningless, just another make believe.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2006, 07:53:28 pm »
It may very well be because I have explored every possibility in the exploration of why that I am so eager to move beyond. My upcoming book Dreamfilm: Brokeback Mountain Explored is the result of that soul-search, and may be of some value to people who are interested in pursuing the question "Why?"
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2006, 08:58:05 pm »
Hi Isabelle!

That was an wonderful post!  Thanks for sharing this with us.  And, I'm so happy to hear that your experience with the film and maybe with Brokie communities too have helped you on a personal level.  The sentence from your post that goadra highlighted really is amazing.

I think the answer to why we're like this is probably deeply personal for all of us.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2006, 04:36:50 pm »
Hi Isabelle!

That was an wonderful post!  ... your experience with the film and maybe with Brokie communities too have helped you on a personal level. 

I think the answer to why we're like this is probably deeply personal for all of us.

Thanks Amanda. The answer is personal for all of us, that is true.
And yes, finding so many lovely souls to share with, first on IMDb and then here, has definitely  helped me. If I hadn't come across the link to IMDb, totally per chance, I would have tried to swallow my pain and sorrow, I might not have come to understand fully why BBM hit me so hard and that I must make changes, and I would have lived on, as if living someone else's life.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2007, 10:41:54 am »
Wow, Rayn! Really profound words and very well written. I'm thinking of making a couple of backgrounds for users of this forum and perhaps I can use your words on them if you don't mind? Let me know please. Again, thanks for the beautifull reply.

Sure you can use what I've written here.  That's fine. 

Rayn

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2007, 04:43:32 pm »
OMG Penthesilea, I think you just helped me figure it out - why this film has such a spell on me.  I was 5 y/o before I met my cousins, Aunt and Uncle who lived 1000 miles from us.  My Aunt Betty (my mother's sister) was so much different than my mother.  She was sweet, kind and happy.  My mother was more interested in how she looked - her hair, makeup and nails, and cooking and baking and getting compliments from my father.  I always felt like I was just her "little helper" not her daughter.  But, it was even more noticeable at my Aunt's house just how much more fun we had and the things that we were allowed to do (my 2 girl cousins were nearly the same age) and after being there for 10 days, I didn't want to leave.  I didn't realize the whole "thing" until after we got home though.  I felt like I was living in a prison!  My mother always said rude things about my Aunt and tried to get me to hate her.  The same with my cousins.  But, it didn't work.  One time we visited them and I had to borrow a dress from my cousin to go to church.  It was the happiest I have ever been.  I really wanted to take the dress home.  Like you, it was a safe place for me to live and my home was not.  My cousins came to visit one summer and they left early because my mother was so strict with them that one of them sassed her.  My mother didn't speak to her sister or mother for years after that and she said very ugly things about that part of her family.  I never did learn why she hated her sister so much, but I loved her and would have stayed there if I could.

Penthesilea, I feel like this part of my life parallels yours in a way.  I felt like I lived in a prison and I never sassed and never dared to say anything.  I was "in a shell" until I went to college.  People always thought I was shy, but I was just afraid to say anything.  College was different though.  But, I am back in the shell again - easier for me I guess.

BBM hit me like a ton of bricks and I cried for 6 weeks and dreamed about it, woke up and wanted to see the film - saw it twice a day for that 6 weeks time.  I thought I was going nuts.  Thank God for IMDb because there I discovered that I wasn't the only one that reacted that way.  I moved over here a few weeks ago because of the problems on IMDb. 

Not that I feel I need to, but in case you are taking a poll, I am a 64 y/o straight woman with 2 children and 1 grandchild.

Thank you Penthesilea,

Merrily

OMG. Just yesterday, when this thread showed up again, I contemplated to delete this very post you refer to. In the end, I decided against it and now am glad about my decision.

Our stories sound eerily alike.

My mother always said rude things about my Aunt and tried to get me to hate her.  The same with my cousins.  But, it didn't work.
The badmouthing - I hadn't mentioned it, but my mother did this as well. At every opportunity. How I hated her for that when I was a teenager. It is such a mean thing to do. Not being willing or able to create a loving and accepting home for a child - and when the child manages to find another, more loving backup family, then to try to destroy that, on top of all other things, this is truly mean in my book.

So many details are alike in our stories: I also loved to switch clothes with my cousins when I was still a kid. Every once in a while, one of my cousins was allowed to stay with me for a few days. They never liked it, but together we found ways to outsmart my (biological) parents and have halfways good times despite of them. And my mother also once had a very huge blow-up with my aunt and uncle.

College was different though. But, I am back in the shell again - easier for me I guess.

Shit, that's hard. Here our stories differ. The older I got, the more I rebelled against everything and finally broke free from my mother at age 17, and managed to get a better relationship to my father after that.
I was always outgoing and extroverted and not even my mother was able to expel that. She may have succeeded if it weren't for my other family, my refuge, my backup. I am so thankful that I had (still have) this second family.

BBM hit me like a ton of bricks

We all know the feeling. And the reasons for it may be just as many as there are Brokies.

OMG Penthesilea, I think you just helped me figure it out - why this film has such a spell on me.

I'm glad when I was able to help a bit. With a one year old post, that I almost deleted hours before you read it. Some say, there ain't no coincidences.