Author Topic: So what do we look like, anyway?  (Read 230237 times)

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: So what do we look like, anyway?
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2006, 03:51:13 pm »
I'm driving an ancient 22 year old car and don't know what I'm going to do when it finally dies on me and though my friends talk about buying beach houses in Malibu and starting yet another new business, my portfolio's pretty much taken up with food and shelter, you know?

Car?  Car?  You mean you can afford gas?  How many hours have you spent under that c**t truck, trying to fix it?  I hear you.  I'm not in the poorhouse yet, but I look forward to the time when cream cheese does not come under the category of "Luxuries".  My so-called portfolio is a couple of hundred dollars in a coffee can for emergencies.

No, I'm just jealous of all these people with snazzy digital cameras.  Me want.  Badly.

By the way, I hope you're fond of white coats.  'Cause thassa lotta snowy fur.  My kitty was black, so it was black coats for me.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2006, 04:08:41 pm »
OK, I put a picture into Yahoo Briefcase, but when I put it in here it's ENORMOUS! How do I make it smaller? (Digital pictures are NOT my friends.)

I'm not a wiz with this cyber stuff Courtney, but I use photoshop for all my pix and all I did to reduce the Kbs was to reduce it on the canvas with the resize tool.  Copy it while it was highlighted.  Go to file and select New. The new canvas automatically sizes to match the pic.  Paste. Save document as Jpeg. and close.  Hover the curser over the thumbnail and a message window will tell you the size of the file.  If it is under the allotted kb's for posting here, it will be accepted when you browse and attach.........Does any of that make sense?
Ray, you are SOOOOOO funny - of course none of that made any sense to me. I'd be sooo useless in these matters.  If it weren't for my friend who took my picture with his digital, cropped it, sent me a copy (last week), and today, reduced it so that I could use it as an "avitar" (is that what the little picture on the left is called?) and then looked over my shoulder while I posted my picture. Thank goodness for friends!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2006, 04:26:07 pm »
Hmmm... on Chanterais's mention of demographics... affluence... education....  I've thought about that a lot with this community -- I think there must be some common denominators.  Money tends to breed education; education breeds tolerance of beautiful movies in which nothing blows up and of gayness; hell, gayness tends not to breed, hence more disposable income, hence on average so I've heard more money.... It also reminds me of the thread about what made us homophilic.  I'd say that in raw dollars my family clung to the designation of "middle class" like possums to the underside of our back porch; values- and education-wise I think we were pretty damn swanky.  Just thinkin' out loud.

I have a master's degree but no health insurance.
I have a new-ish Prius but still have a modest mountain of college loan debt.  (But no car debt.)
I'm unwilling to spend money on things like clothes and shoes, but money's less of an object in supporting political and artistic causes.  Since it turns out government is for sale, I'd better save up, you know?
This list is reminding me of someone's comment on some board or other that Crash was like an Alanis Morissette song in movie form so I'll wrap it up.

By the way Ray, your avatar might turn me gay.  Everyone else looks great.

64 slices of American cheese.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2006, 05:18:06 pm »
I'm driving an ancient 22 year old car and don't know what I'm going to do when it finally dies on me and though my friends talk about buying beach houses in Malibu and starting yet another new business, my portfolio's pretty much taken up with food and shelter, you know?

Car?  Car?  You mean you can afford gas?  How many hours have you spent under that c**t truck, trying to fix it?  I hear you.  I'm not in the poorhouse yet, but I look forward to the time when cream cheese does not come under the category of "Luxuries".  My so-called portfolio is a couple of hundred dollars in a coffee can for emergencies.

No, I'm just jealous of all these people with snazzy digital cameras.  Me want.  Badly.

By the way, I hope you're fond of white coats.  'Cause thassa lotta snowy fur.  My kitty was black, so it was black coats for me.

LOL!  The minute my car starts becoming a c*nt to fix, that's when I start walking or something.  Right now, the thing is a Tonka truck.  Parts is parts.  One thing breaks down, I just replace it and the things runs fine again, 238,000 miles later, original engine, original transmission.

My cat pics are from disposable digital cameras, pics I took on a recent trip to London were on my sister's digital camera.  I own no camera.

LOL!  I know about the white fur.  My childhood cats were pure black and Siamese.  Black fur for my white clothing and tan fur for my dark clothing.

Now, I've developed a penchant for stylish black and my pet hair remover sticky roller goes everywhere with me!  At least the white hair blends in with my couch and bedroom!

And I'm with you henrypie, it's the education/intelligence/compassion that makes us richer than normal.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2006, 05:28:10 pm »
Actually, I have noticed the similarity in our looks, too, Mandy.  We both have the same shaped face and green eyes... not to mention the pale skin and dark hair which is the BANE of my existance!! 

*why couldn't I tan, O lord? Just LET me tan!?!?!?*
Sheyne - Actually, I'm not usually that pale. As soon as my skin sees a bit of sun, I tan super quickly. During the summer you would think I was a different person entirely. I'll have to wait 'til then and show ya.

Mandy has the most delicately beautiful lips.  Eveybody's talking about the eyes, which are undoubtedly gorgeous, but man, I'm telling you, it's all about the lips.
Aww, thanks Chanterais hunny! Btw, you are GORGEOUS. With the gloves and all, you look very classy.

Henrypie, your post got me thinking. When my boyfriend and I finish University, we will both have several degrees, be very educated but be very much in debt. And that's scary, 'cause finding a good job is questionable. And then I consider my brother and his wife. He did one year in University and one year in a local college, completed no degree or diploma or anything, and now he has managed to work himself up to supervisor at the mine back in my hometown. Between him and his wife, who also works at the mine, they make ridiculously good money, and it makes me question what I'm doing. But, I haven't lost all hope and thus I continue my studies.

Since people seem to be posting pet pics (which are all SOO adorable, btw) here's a my kitty (she's utterly attached to me):
She gets jealous of my laptop 'cause I spend a lot of time on it, so she likes to lie down in front of it, so she actually fell asleep like this:

Here she is admiring the fire back in my hometown over christmas:

And here are my dog & cat back in my hometown, who I miss incredibly:

Wow, sorry for the long post. I just love taking advantage of the pic-posting function!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2006, 05:49:24 pm »
I love this thread.  I can't get over how everyone has taken on such a different dimension.  I'm absolutely a visual person anyhow, but now I can picture you all speaking your posts.  Skinnyhead's green eyes twinkling cheekily, Jude with her warm & soulful Jackesque eyes and a flick of that flowing  hair, Amh with her beautiful smile creeping across her face when she's pleased with her post.  I now picture Sandra Bullock delivering Barb's posts, and Becky letting out a peel of laughter from that happy face. 

And as for Littleguitar, well, you are just my dream girl.  If it wasn't for Marge, I'd be visiting you in South Park in a split!

These are some of the perceptions I now have since this post.  You all just looked like enmoticons in our previous life.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2006, 06:13:50 pm »
*pout* I can't do it! I have a pic on my computer but it says it's too big when I try to attach it under the Additional Options thing, and when I put it in after uploading it into Yahoo Briefcase it shows up HUGE! Hmm, this might be too much trouble. I was just gonna post the pic I have as my avatar...

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2006, 06:20:45 pm »
Courtney, don't fret!

If you don't have a photoediting program on your computer (which you should be able to shrink the pic down with) just send me a link where I can save the pic from or PM me for my e-mail addy and send it to me and i'll shrink it down for you! and e-mail it back to you!

PM me if you want.

:)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:24:24 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2006, 06:24:38 pm »
Thanks Paul and Ray, but stubborn girl that I am I want to try to do it myself first. Grrr....I WILL be smarter than the computer....  :P

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2006, 06:35:07 pm »
I'm still not getting it. I can click the [ img][ /img] thing and I've tried putting a variety of linky things between, but that doesn't make a picture appear. Does the picture have to be uploaded somewhere already?

Shuggy, instead of clicking on "Insert Image" go to "Additional Options" and attach a picture (this one you'll have to have saved somewhere - just browse to the folder you have pictures saved).

~ j U d E
Great, thanks Jude. At the moment I'm at my man's place and I don't think there are any pix of me in this computer, but let's see.... I carved the teddy on the left out of some pumice blown out of one of our volcanoes.  ... so it works! Yay!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:39:05 pm by Shuggy »