Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014897 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1030 on: October 04, 2013, 08:41:06 pm »
I just mean he's willing to let a whole get-together slide, wait an additional three months before seeing Jack again. That, to me, is the behavior of someone who has changed considerably since his eager "You bet," drinking 12 beers, "Jack Fuckin Twist" days. He's either grown more cautious or more conflicted or both.

How about simply older and wiser?

The night-before conversation and the breakdown scene suggests internal conflict is at least one big factor. "It's because of you I'm like this." He loves Jack, but he doesn't want to be "like this."

True. He's nowhere and nobody because he kept quitting jobs to run off to the mountains with Jack. And I think it's rather unfair of him to blame Jack for that.

Agreed. Though at 19 Junior is no longer of coverable age, so the payments would be half of what they used to be.

Seriously, if slightly OT: Once a kid "ages out" of child support, are you still legally liable for arrears that were owed at the time the kid became no longer coverable?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1031 on: October 04, 2013, 08:48:16 pm »
x-man, if I may, I'd like to introduce you to a few golden-oldie, but apropos threads that you might like to peruse at your leisure.  I have my own theory, regarding a pact of self-deception that Jack and Ennis share, that gets blown up in the Lake Scene, that helps me understand their psychologies. 

How did Jack die?

do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident as Lureen describes it to Ennis?

sexual orientation, jealousy and the definition of infidelity

Question about the Lake Scene

Lies and deception

You can't say we haven't been thorough, over the years!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1032 on: October 05, 2013, 02:02:04 am »
How about simply older and wiser?

Well, I'll give you older.

True. He's nowhere and nobody because he kept quitting jobs to run off to the mountains with Jack. And I think it's rather unfair of him to blame Jack for that.

Do you feel like he's blaming Jack for his financial situation? I feel like he's blaming Jack for his own sexual confusion and screwed-upness.

If it weren't for Jack, he'd be peacefully, if not really contentedly, dating Cassie.

Seriously, if slightly OT: Once a kid "ages out" of child support, are you still legally liable for arrears that were owed at the time the kid became no longer coverable?

Oh, I would imagine so. After all, let's say Ennis is in this situation with Alma. Alma presumably would have made up the difference to cover the kid's needs out of her own pocket while waiting on his payments. So it becomes a debt to Alma (whether she needs the money or not).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1033 on: October 05, 2013, 02:05:36 am »
x-man, if I may, I'd like to introduce you to a few golden-oldie, but apropos threads that you might like to peruse at your leisure.  I have my own theory, regarding a pact of self-deception that Jack and Ennis share, that gets blown up in the Lake Scene, that helps me understand their psychologies. 

How did Jack die?

do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident as Lureen describes it to Ennis?

sexual orientation, jealousy and the definition of infidelity

Question about the Lake Scene

Lies and deception

You can't say we haven't been thorough, over the years!

Wonderful old threads! Thanks for posting them, P!

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1034 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:49 am »
Thank you, southendmd, for sending these posting sites my way--not only my way, but to lots of newer BetterMostians who missed them first time around.  They will provide food for thought for some time.

Does this mean the ride of the past 4 pages is over?  I had thought, in my puppydog enthusiasm, that "There's no reins on this one," but I have to be realistic.  "Well, see you around I guess."  But maybe some day soon I can say "Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a get into this again," about another topic, perhaps, but with the same preoccupation with all things BBM.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1035 on: October 05, 2013, 09:12:50 am »
Thank you, southendmd, for sending these posting sites my way--not only my way, but to lots of newer BetterMostians who missed them first time around.  They will provide food for thought for some time.

Does this mean the ride of the past 4 pages is over?  I had thought, in my puppydog enthusiasm, that "There's no reins on this one," but I have to be realistic.  "Well, see you around I guess."  But maybe some day soon I can say "Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a get into this again," about another topic, perhaps, but with the same preoccupation with all things BBM.

X-man, as long as there's a discussion going, it's not over!

As you can see, people are enthusiasticly engaging in this, no matter how thoroughly it's been debated before.

So, keep on, to your hearts content, as long as there's any interest in the discussion.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1036 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:29 am »

If that were what we saw in the movie, I would agree with you.  But that was NOT in the movie.  Jack walks over, sits on the next stool--he does not stand close to him--and the frisson and vibe to not make it from screenplay page to the actor's expression.  What we actually do see is #1.  Cruising is a more complex maneuver than looking directly at someone longer than necessary, as you claim Jack did.  Screenplay bartender watches the whole Jack/Jimbo exchange and has "seen it all."  Movie bartender does not say to Jack "Well, you win a few, you lose a few--nice try." He does ask Jack if he has considered a roping horse, apparently discounting his efforts in the ring that day.  Only then does Jack react in anger.  He stalks out, he does not "look around anxiously."  You seem to be saying that straight people would see the scene as homoerotically charged.  Would they if not previously warned by the screenplay?

Not being of cowboy descent, I'm out of my comfort zone here. But I've been told that among some people (cowboys), calf roping is considered less manly than other cowboyish arts executed on the rodeo circuit.

I've always considered the bartender's remark as a way of insulting Jack for hitting on Jimbo. Meaning that the bartender recognized that that's what Jack was doing. And imo, Jimbo was well aware of it too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1037 on: October 05, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
Do you feel like he's blaming Jack for his financial situation?

That's how I'm taking the "I'm nothing, I'm nobody" lines. He's never made anything of himself because he kept quitting jobs to run off to the mountains with Jack.

I feel like he's blaming Jack for his own sexual confusion and screwed-upness.

Different "layer." But in the context of the "economic layer" of the conversation--why he can't take off in August--yes, I think he's blaming Jack for his own economic situation.

And on that note--waves hand as he heads out the door for the airport to catch a flight to Denver. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1038 on: October 05, 2013, 12:57:26 pm »
Not being of cowboy descent, I'm out of my comfort zone here. But I've been told that among some people (cowboys), calf roping is considered less manly than other cowboyish arts executed on the rodeo circuit.

I've always considered the bartender's remark as a way of insulting Jack for hitting on Jimbo. Meaning that the bartender recognized that that's what Jack was doing. And imo, Jimbo was well aware of it too.

I have become fascinated by the Jack/Jimbo scene.  Serious crayons raises the interesting point that the people connected to the film were straight and they were aiming it at a predominately straight audience, so they would present their intentions in a way comprehensible to a straight audience.

It would seem that if serious crayon's point be true, we must rethink the scene as a man approaching a woman, and that in such a scene what the man (Jack) said would be enough to alert the woman to his intentions.  Would I be right in concluding that straight men just do not offer to buy a strange woman a drink without a sexual agenda?  Or is it that women are so paranoid or have been through it often enough that they mistrust any such overture?  Or both?  If so, it is a shame.  Many enjoyable conversations or even potential friendships must be missed.

Now, if the Jack/Jimbo scene were played out in a gay bar, what Jack said would be enough to make any sexual intentions clear, although we might expect a little conversation to precede the drink offer.  The only thing different would be that the bartender would not likely be disapproving.  If the roping horse remark were made, and Sason is right--calf roping is less "manly" than bronc or bull riding-- then it is a put-down, something like saying, "Try for something more realistic."  But anyone who looks like Gyllenhaal can get anybody he wants.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1039 on: October 05, 2013, 01:30:12 pm »
"Try for something more realistic."

That's not how I understood the bartender's remark.

I've always thought of it more like the bartender is saying "You sissy boy". The calf roping remark is derogatory.

But hey, I'm neither gay nor cowboy, so what do I know?   ;D