Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014907 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2006, 10:25:30 pm »
It probably doesn't count because I used it in a PM to a fellow Brokie, but today, with reference to a real-life issue, I got to write:

"You shut about [name]. It ain't [his] fault. He used to come away easy, but now it's like seein' the pope. This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation."

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2006, 01:10:23 am »
It probably doesn't count because I used it in a PM to a fellow Brokie, but today, with reference to a real-life issue, I got to write:

"You shut about [name]. It ain't [his] fault. He used to come away easy, but now it's like seein' the pope. This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation."

;D

Jeff -

This sounds interesting! What was this conversation about? Fill us in!

Inquiring minds want to know!  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2006, 01:26:46 am »
:laugh: That's classic!

Yeah, I also wear my cowboy hat and I also go into full BBM mode when I do, my boyfriend is also more accepting then...

Melissa -

Jan-Willem responds to the cowboy hat? Thanks for the tip girl friend!  ;)

Ik ga winkelen!  :D

God. I'm going to try this out on Cory and see what happens.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2006, 02:51:03 am »
Melissa -

Jan-Willem responds to the cowboy hat? Thanks for the tip girl friend!  ;)

Ik ga winkelen!  :D

God. I'm going to try this out on Cory and see what happens.

;D :laugh:
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  ;)
Good luck...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2006, 12:17:04 pm »
Jeff -

This sounds interesting! What was this conversation about? Fill us in!

Inquiring minds want to know!  ;)

I'm afraid it's actually quite mundane, David. It was about someone I'm sort of casually dating--I'm trying to court him, you might say. But since there is no commitment, there is also no imperative to rearrange summer travel plans to accommodate each other. It may well be late August till we're able to arrange to "hang out together" again. (What the hell happened to July?  ;D )

I was being advised to look for someone else. The situation is complicated by the fact that he lost his partner of 14 years less than a year ago. But he's such good husband material that if I don't get and keep my hand in, someone else will be at third base when I haven't even come up to bat!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2006, 02:39:38 pm »
A guy at work used the phrase "tell you what..." to start a sentence yesterday.  Hmmmm.... now my suspicions are up about that one.  It would really be awesome to discover a Brokie someplace in the real-world purely through overhearing an overt Brokie-ism.  I'd still find it hard to ask whether or not he was thinking of Jack Twist as he said it.
 ::)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2006, 04:42:20 pm »
A guy at work used the phrase "tell you what..." to start a sentence yesterday.  Hmmmm.... now my suspicions are up about that one.  It would really be awesome to discover a Brokie someplace in the real-world purely through overhearing an overt Brokie-ism.  I'd still find it hard to ask whether or not he was thinking of Jack Twist as he said it.

Why don't you subtly up the ante with a "sure enough" or "s'alright" or a "you bet" or a "me neither"? Then he might respond with a "son of a bitch or a "dumbass" or a "course he hates my guts." Then you can throw in "talks a blue streak" or "what the hell happened to (month)." And he'll say "you know, it could be like this, always" and you'll say "you have no idea how bad it gets" and so on and so on, kicking it up a notch each time, until eventually one of you is saying "this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" and the other is replying, "if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it" and you'll both KNOW -- without either of you ever having overtly mentioned the movie!!!

:D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2006, 05:02:07 pm »
Well, that's a good suggestion.  I'll start with the more subtle ones.

I wonder what most difficult Brokie-isms would be for use in real-world conversation.  I remember that the "Rodeoing ain't what it was in my Daddy's day."  was highlighted as a phrase that would earn us extra points.  Maybe "Goddamned paint brands wore off." would be another.  And, surely, things like "couple of high-altitude f**ks once or twice a year."  and "earlier today I was castrating calves" must be among the toughest.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2006, 05:09:15 pm »
Yeah, some of those would be hard to slip into a conversation with your coworkers, say, if you don't happen to work on a ranch.

How about "stemmin the rose" "wrang it out" or "puttin the blocks to"? Those are difficult because they're all about sex, of course, but also because they're so colloquial. Your conversational partner would just go, "Hunh?" -- and s/he wouldn't be imitating Ennis.

"On the QT" would be relatively easy, though.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2006, 07:58:17 pm »
I wonder what most difficult Brokie-isms would be for use in real-world conversation.  I remember that the "Rodeoing ain't what it was in my Daddy's day."  was highlighted as a phrase that would earn us extra points.  Maybe "Goddamned paint brands wore off." would be another.  And, surely, things like "couple of high-altitude f**ks once or twice a year."  and "earlier today I was castrating calves" must be among the toughest.

Amanda - I did use the "high altitude f..ks" ... check out my previous post. Oh yes ... the reaction I got was one of ... "what in the hell are you talking about?!"
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."