Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014793 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2006, 03:36:48 am »
Post script: I'm actually quite proud of myself for saying "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it" flawlessly because for some reason lately, I find myself completely unable to say this quote. Must be the combination of having the word "fix" in the quote and the word "broke" in the title of the movie because every time I try to say this quote I end up saying things like "If it ain't broken you gotta fix it." "If you can't stand it, it's broken" or "If you can't fix it, its broken."

I think you should be proud the other way around, angry little lawyer. If you're having trouble putting "fix" and "stand" together in a sentence, and when you think of something broken can't help the impulse to fix it, that sounds like a good thing.

I have used the "if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it" line on my 10- and 12-year-old sons on several occasions and, unfortunately, they don't buy that. They can't stand it, and they want me to fix it. Pronto.

I'm hoping that by the time they're 18 -- or, preferably, sooner! -- they realize it's THEIR job to fix it.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2007, 02:38:19 am »
Awesome pic Front Ranger! That is beautiful scenery as well.

Ok, I am so proud of my husband - he sat down to watch BBM with me on Christmas day (his first viewing, and my third). I'm even more proud of this real-life Broke-ism:

Approximately 30 minutes after watching the movie his parents called to organize my birthday party the following day. To make a long story short, after my husband hung up with his parents, he announced that we were responsible for "bringing the hamburger patties and the condiments" for the party. I said, 'the what?' and without missing a beat he said 'ketchup'. Then we both laughed. He's a pretty fast learner if you ask me.

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2007, 02:47:29 am »
he announced that we were responsible for "bringing the hamburger patties and the condiments" for the party. I said, 'the what?' and without missing a beat he said 'ketchup'. Then we both laughed. He's a pretty fast learner if you ask me.

ketchup..????.......cat piss..????......Sure doesnt take much to make us Brokies have a laugh........Great stuff.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2007, 03:28:00 am »
Lee - that's an awesome family picture - thanks for sharing it!

Approximately 30 minutes after watching the movie his parents called to organize my birthday party the following day. To make a long story short, after my husband hung up with his parents, he announced that we were responsible for "bringing the hamburger patties and the condiments" for the party. I said, 'the what?' and without missing a beat he said 'ketchup'. Then we both laughed. He's a pretty fast learner if you ask me.

You can't beat that one, BBM-Cat - LOVE IT!!

When leaving Truman a coupla weeks back in VA, I got to say 'Well, see ya next month then.'  :P
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2007, 03:53:11 pm »

To make a long story short, after my husband hung up with his parents, he announced that we were responsible for "bringing the hamburger patties and the condiments" for the party. I said, 'the what?' and without missing a beat he said 'ketchup'. Then we both laughed. He's a pretty fast learner if you ask me.

Ooh, he's a keeper!  :) 

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2007, 11:17:16 pm »
Thanks everyone! This forum is so fun. My husband and I are going on a short cruise this upcoming week...I have a pre-meditated Brokieism - imagine standing on the deck of the cruise ship overlooking the ocean and the sunset...'It could be like this,...etc.

I'll let you all know how it goes! I can bearly stand to be away from my BBM DVD and this forum for a week but again, real life calls!  :)
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2007, 05:32:14 pm »
I was standing at the kitchen sink looking up at the clouds through the window in front of me.  I craned my head back a bit to see more sky, and looked harder.  Suddenly I was Ennis drying his hands on the towel in Alma's Thanksgiving kitchen, peering out at the snow with the squuncny face. 

I couldn't find what I wanted at Striped Wall.  Ennis has already lost the sort of silly, displeased look by this point:

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2007, 05:38:51 pm »
I can picture exactly the craning, scuuncny (that's a new word for me) look ou're describing, though.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:26 pm »
So, I'm here to report a genuine new use of a Brokieism in my real life recently.  It actually just slipped out and I felt totally sheepish upon doing it.  At work, I called one of my colleagues "Bud"... not once, but twice during the same day!  Granted... I was very sleepy that day (partially due to being up late reading BetterMost).  Those two "Bud" exclamations were completely un-intentional.  It's now just part of my subconscious now I guess.  I think my colleague was more perplexed by my "sheepishness" following the second "Bud" instance than by the use of the term itself. 

:-X :-\

ps. "Brokieism" is a funny looking word when it's typed out.   :laugh:
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2007, 03:40:18 am »
Amanda, you using the word "Bud" has always given me the courage to use it too.   :)