Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014878 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #460 on: June 28, 2007, 08:14:59 pm »
It's not so much what I say but the way I say it.  I've got a fairly posh British Accent and yet I keep talking with a  Southern Drawl... my kids roll their eyes and say "Brokeback Mountain" to anyone who's looking at me curiously!

Brokeback sure got me good!

Susie

LOL--Your neighbors will think they have a wild Yank amongst 'em!!   :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #461 on: July 21, 2007, 09:02:21 pm »
Yay! Here's one I haven't seen before.

My son and I were at the farm market today. We only had a limited amount of cash, and we had to get a bunch of stuff. So as the money started to run low, I asked, kind of rhetorically, "Should we get some beans?" then, thinking about how we'd just gotten a big bag of (yellow) beans last week and not even finished them yet, I said, "Nah, I'm sick of beans."

My inner mental ears pricked up. The line sounded familiar, and of course I knew why. PLUS I thought about how it's only July and we'll be going to many more farm markets and wanting to buy more vegetables and soon that would probably include beans, so I added,

"Too early in the summer to be sick of beans."

I did not say it in a Basque accent. My son, of course, was oblivious.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2007, 11:46:25 pm »
I always feel like any beans reference (either in "real life" or in chat) should get extra-Brokie-bonus points around here at BetterMost.  8)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #463 on: August 01, 2007, 12:21:41 pm »
I used a Brokieism during our vacations. Well, in the English speaking world it might not be a Brokieism, but used by a German in English I think it should count  ;D

My husband had a second softdrink during a meal while I didn't have a second one. Before drinking the rest of it, he asked me "Do you want some of this Fanta?" (in German) and sure as hell I replied in English: "It's all yours." with the according Jack tone.  :)

My husband drank the softdrink, but gave no further reaction. He's long gotten used to all things Brokie and even doesn't tease me about it anymore.  :)

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #464 on: August 07, 2007, 10:40:19 pm »
Hi all and for all of you that went to Alberta I hope you had a wonderful, wonderful memory filled time!!!

I didn't actually use a brokeism, but as I was rummaging through all of the junk in the trunk of my car, I ran across a tire iron. Instantly I thought about Jack, and it was not a good feeling. (need I say more)

Before BBM, a tire iron was simply that, but after seeing this powerful movie, a tire iron is no longer just a tire iron!

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2007, 12:16:13 am »
Before BBM, a tire iron was simply that, but after seeing this powerful movie, a tire iron is no longer just a tire iron!

Oh yes, Deb, know the feeling....i feel the same when i see a mountain peak, a postcard, a blue denim shirt even a dam fishing tackle creole.....

And just you mentioning the tire iron, gave me a feeling of dread...

Nothing was ever going to be the same, once Brokeback got us good....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2007, 11:59:21 pm »
You are so right Katie- "Brokeback got us good!"

I went on a picnic at a lake the other day and the trees that were above the lake looked like a mountain range. You and all of the other Brokies know what my first thought was. It is so strange- the smallest things in life that you never paid attention to in the past, after BBM, you pay attention to them,especially if these things were in the story or the movie.

I wanted to throw that tire iron away- but it is a tool that you need!!

And like you said- nothing is ever going to be the same!

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #467 on: August 09, 2007, 12:50:28 am »
Well, my husband and I were in the kitchen today (we live in Texas) - to our horror we saw a Texas-size spider.....we were both unnerved, and it called for a GDBOUS!

We were able to tag team the death of this critter - Mike with the 20-foot distance Raid spray, and I with the kitchen broom and dustpan. Thus, it turned out to be a very 'satisfactory situation' after all, I am happy to report.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2007, 03:52:37 am »
Well as some of you know, I not only have an addiction to Brokeback, but I also am addicted to on line poker (the non cash version)

Anyway, when you play at the poker table, there is a chat section down the side, where you can chat to whoever else is at the table.....

The other day  I noticed a player, whose name was "dusty ol cowboy"....so that got my interest straight away.....

He was chatting to someone and next thing i see him answer with "you bet".....wow....i couldnt take my eyes off those two words, they were like a flashing sign....I continued to read his conversation, and soon after he wrote "yes m'am" now  i dont even know if that was in the movie but it sure sounded like something Ennis would say...

I couldnt resist any longer, so I asked him where he came from....his answer...."Wyoming".......well, i nearly fell off my chair......so then I asked if he lived anywhere near Riverton, and he answered..."bout two hours drive from Riverton".....

He left the table not long after.....probably to get away from the inquisitive Aussie sheila who was asking him questions......but he made my day, that dusty ol cowboy.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2007, 07:16:46 am »
thats a great story Sue!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/