Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014895 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51:39 pm »
Tonight my dog was trying to go somewhere I didn't want him to go. "No, Charlie," I said. "It ain't gonna be that way."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #631 on: October 20, 2009, 12:27:50 am »
I said, "Jesus H!" today.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #632 on: October 20, 2009, 12:32:00 am »
Tonight my dog was trying to go somewhere I didn't want him to go. "No, Charlie," I said. "It ain't gonna be that way."

:laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #633 on: October 20, 2009, 12:51:55 am »
Yay!  I'm so happy to see this thread revived. :)

I guess the only Brokieisms I tend to say these days are basic ones like "sure enough" (which I say a lot).  I also think (without saying out loud), "dumbass" a lot these days when I'm frustrated with something.

Tell you what though, whilst watching a bull riding event this weekend I was struck by the fact that the commentators used the phrase "get up off his pockets" or "he's leaned back on his pockets" (or variations of that phrase) repeatedly, at least 3 times, when describing various rides.  It actually seems to be a very commonly used term.... and I, of course, always think of BBM when I hear it.  I think we've talked about the "pockets" phrase before someplace on BetterMost.  But, this weekend the use of that phrase really was notable.

From day one I've been waiting to hear a commentator use the word "twist" in any kind of specific or pointed way, and I haven't noticed a special use of that word yet (at least not in any way that stands out in my mind as a particularly bull riding-specific term).  Maybe it's more of an old fashioned term... or maybe I just haven't caught them using it yet.  I can't believe I've been following this sport now for over 2 years.  Lately, the duration of Brokie-ness is really striking me.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #634 on: October 20, 2009, 09:07:25 am »
My girlfriend sent me an email, to ask if it was ok to come up from Sydney to stay with us.

The first words in my reply back to her were ......YOU BET!
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #635 on: October 23, 2009, 11:18:55 pm »
My girlfriend sent me an email, to ask if it was ok to come up from Sydney to stay with us.

The first words in my reply back to her were ......YOU BET!
That's funny, I use you bet quite a lot and it has only just struck me that it is a Brokeism. !!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #636 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:19 am »
I often hear an intonation, or sometimes a phrase, in my head. Usually with no connection to what's going on around me. I know it's from BBM, and even if it sometimes takes a while, I always find out from what line it is.

Like e. g. when the girls say "daaaaaddddyyyyy" when Ennis is leaving for a fishing trip.
That specific intonation I often hear, but without the word.

Is it weird, or is it weird??  :-\

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #637 on: October 24, 2009, 03:51:12 pm »
My most common Brokieism is by far "this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation". I never say it because...well it would sound weird to curse in a foreign language...but I often think it. And everytime I think it, I feel like Jack. Sometimes, to amuse myself, I even open my jacket like that.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #638 on: October 24, 2009, 04:02:03 pm »
Is it weird, or is it weird??  :-\

Weird.......wonderful.......whatever........I guess its all part of who we all became once BBM got into our soul.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #639 on: October 24, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »

I haven´t been a person who consider myself being a hugh brokie. But slowly during couple of weeks something have happen to me. I have started to hear Brokeback mountain music. Just the first instrumental part and it comes just over me just like that . Sometimes when I listen to the radio I go OHHH thats sounds like .... BBM intro then its a new popsong or something. And in my head; I go, damn... they should play something much better.