Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014861 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #710 on: March 26, 2010, 02:21:00 am »
Um.....something tells me you didn't start learning French in 4th grade, but rather a few years later..... ::) ::) ;D

No, we didn't even have the opportunity to study a second language in school until 7th grade!  >:(

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #711 on: March 26, 2010, 07:29:53 am »
No, we didn't even have the opportunity to study a second language in school until 7th grade!  >:(

That's too bad.

Nowadays they start teaching English in first grade in most schools here I think.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #712 on: March 26, 2010, 09:06:15 am »

10th grade for me  >:(
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #713 on: March 26, 2010, 11:21:39 am »
For a couple of years, my kids attended a suburban school district where they teach Spanish from kindergarten on. In their more financially challenged urban district, they don't teach it until junior high. High school offers three languages.

On the other hand, I can see where, geographically, learning a foreign language would be of more immediate practical value to Europeans. I also have seen, say, German and Italian people interacting in English, so I can understand why it would be good to learn English early.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #714 on: March 26, 2010, 12:27:03 pm »
I also have seen, say, German and Italian people interacting in English, so I can understand why it would be good to learn English early.

At the risk of offending somebody--no one in particular, just anyone in general--I have heard it said that English is now the international language that French once was. I also believe I remember hearing that all airline communication is in English, for example.

Of course, if this is truly the case, it's yet another disincentive for Americans to learn another language besides their own.  :-\

And that's still a shame. At least the way languages were taught when I was in junior high and high school, a lot of history and cultural learning/appreciation went along with learning how to conjugate verbs. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #715 on: March 26, 2010, 12:45:02 pm »
Of course, if this is truly the case, it's yet another disincentive for Americans to learn another language besides their own.  :-\

Good point. Even when Americans travel, they often find enough people who speak English that they (usually) have few problems.

Also, when picking a second language to study, there's no obvious best choice. I have urged my sons to learn Spanish, because that's the one they woul most often be able to use right here in their own country. But ultimately it's their choice.

And that's still a shame. At least the way languages were taught when I was in junior high and high school, a lot of history and cultural learning/appreciation went along with learning how to conjugate verbs. ...

True! Not to mention one's own language -- I have learned a lot about English through studying other languages.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #716 on: April 02, 2010, 03:57:51 pm »

Heya!

I'm here to report that I used a Brokieism today at work while talking with my boss.  While describing a pastel that we were discussing... the phrase "bonelss blue" slipped out of my mouth when I was trying to verbalize the quality of the depicted sky!  LOL, I didn't even think about it or process it as an "about to use a Brokieism moment" before I said it.  My boss seemed to know exactly what I meant... so the whole thing was very seamless and smooth.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #717 on: April 02, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »
Awesome, friend!!  :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #718 on: April 03, 2010, 05:29:05 am »
Go Amanda! :D
"Boneless blue" is a wonderful phrase. I think most people know instantly what is meant, even if they've never heard it before. I did.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #719 on: April 03, 2010, 02:46:52 pm »
My friends Offline Chuck and Adam were helping me move my mom's stuff and I dug a very tangled bunch of cord out to tie everything down in The Truck. To amuse us while I was straightening it out, I said, "We got to git in there and untangle those Chilean cords out of ours." To which Chuck answered right back, "Some of these tangles didn't go up there with you." He always has a Brokeism ready. As for Adam, well, he IS a Brokeism!!

And then Chuck went on to ask if the Chile was with or without beans. I assured him it was with...BetterMost beans!!

I have a picture to prove this all happened!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"