Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016856 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #970 on: August 09, 2013, 11:53:33 pm »
That was used at work the other day here.  There was one of those huge lottery drawings, and we went in on it.  The prize was about $450 million dollars. 

One of my coworkers said that if we won we could "forget what it's like to be poor.".  I smirked.

It's funny that lotteries always draw the most attention when they get way up there into the multiple hundred-millions. For me, if I won, oh, say, $5 million, I would think, "I ain't in the poor house" and would be pretty pleased.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #971 on: August 10, 2013, 09:14:20 pm »
It's funny that lotteries always draw the most attention when they get way up there into the multiple hundred-millions. For me, if I won, oh, say, $5 million, I would think, "I ain't in the poor house" and would be pretty pleased.

I'd be happy with a million.  LOL   I wouldn't be able to retire, but I'd be comfortable!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #972 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:35 am »
I'd be happy with a million.  LOL   I wouldn't be able to retire, but I'd be comfortable!

I know. How crazy is it that a million dollars isn't enough to retire? But yes, I could use a million dollars.

To evaluate whether an amount of money is worth getting excited about, I always think of it this way: If it were a coupon, would I clip it? So if it's, say, "save 75 cents when you buy any three Lean Cuisine meals," and I'd have to go to the trouble of finding the scissors, cutting the coupon, carrying it around in my purse, remembering to buy the three LCs and then get the coupon out at the register and give it to the cashier (and it's that last step where I usually fail, leaving me annoyed that I went to all the other trouble), for 75 cents I figure it's not worth the bother of even trying.

But if it was a coupon for a million dollars, I'd clip it!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #973 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:57 am »

I think I'd rather win one of those "$XXX a week for life" lotteries. But let be, let be.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #974 on: August 12, 2013, 07:27:19 pm »

We were going on a boat ride in the Norfolk marshes and I said to my friend, "Hey, those are some big-ass binoculars you've got there."  She shot back, "Well, we're gonna look at some little-ass birds!"  ;D

There is an aphorism here. If you want to see some little-ass birds, you've got to have some big-ass binoculars.  :P
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #975 on: August 13, 2013, 07:51:37 am »
I think I'd rather win one of those "$XXX a week for life" lotteries. But let be, let be.

I buy those tickets, every pay day, just a few......and I dream!  :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #976 on: August 13, 2013, 09:48:20 am »
I buy those tickets, every pay day, just a few......and I dream!  :laugh:

John, who was in financial difficulty, walked into a church and started to pray. ''Listen God,'' John said. ''I know I haven't been perfect but I really need to win the lottery. I don't have a lot of money. Please help me out.''

He left the church, a week went by, and he hadn't won the lottery, so he walked into a synagogue. ''Come on, God,'' he said. ''I really need this money. My mom needs surgery and I have bills to pay. Please let me win the lottery.''

He left the synagogue, a week went by, and he didn't win the lottery. So he went into a mosque and started to pray again. ''You're starting to disappoint me, God,'' he said. ''I've prayed and prayed. If you just let me win the lottery, I'll be a better person. I don't have to win the jackpot, just enough to get me out of debt. I'll give some to charity, even. Just let me win the lottery.''

Suddenly, the clouds opened up. A booming voice said, ''John, could you at least buy a damn ticket!''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #977 on: August 14, 2013, 09:17:32 am »
:laugh:

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #978 on: August 14, 2013, 06:23:31 pm »
I was just now interacting on Facebook with Barb, a onetime active BetterMostian who hasn't been around much these days. We were talking about the weather and envying each others' climates. She said, "Wanna trade?"

I said, "You bet.  ;)"

Hope she got the double entendre!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #979 on: August 30, 2013, 10:18:00 am »
Just got an email from someone asking if we could be related because her parents, whose last name is spelled the same (slightly unusual) way mine is, were born in the state where I live.

"My parents were from Iowa," I replied. But I was sooo tempted to write, "My folks was Iowan."

After 7 1/2 years, the dialogue is still echoing in my brain!