Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016765 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1350 on: October 16, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
I was curious, so I looked it up and found the passage below, from the Chronicle of Higher Education. I've noticed the hahaha thing, and like it better -- I've never been a huge fan of LOL because I think it's rarely literally true. I've noticed people putting lol at the end of posts to indicate they're kidding. (EMC stands for electronically mediated communication.)

https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2013/03/01/txtng-rules/

LOL no longer means ‘laughing out loud’ (so the OED gets credit for including LOL in the third edition, but the definition is already out of date). To show laughter, EMC now often relies on “hahaha” (students tell me that you need at least three ha’s to show laughter if they are not capitalized). LOL is now a way to flag that a message is meant to be funny (similar to jk—‘just kidding’) or to signal irony. LOL can also be a way to acknowledge that a writer has received a text—a written version of a nod of the head and a smile (“a chuckle at most,” one student told me).

But my sons, 23- and 24-yo millennials, sometimes say LOL to acknowledge something funny I've said in a text. Maybe they just does it to humor me, knowing a boomer is likely to be behind on the latest EMC.

I guess this explains why a coworker of mine has been using "hahaha." She has three daughters, all in the age range, I think, of, say 18 to 25. I guess she picked it up from her daughters.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1351 on: October 16, 2019, 11:42:00 am »
Last Saturday night I told a friend I needed to get to bed because I was sleeping on my feet like a horse.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1352 on: December 19, 2019, 12:03:20 am »
Working on my kitchen, we had a hitch in our giddy-up when my friend took out the kitchen sink. The pipes, valves, and cables underneath are kind of brittle. And the hardware store didn't have the right fittings to fix it. So, we tried using plastic, foil, and finally duct tape, which worked. So that led me to say, "Between baling wire and duct tape, we'll fix this thing!" I know it's not an exact Brokieism, but provoked a lot of laughs.

Speaking of duct tape, I have my phone sitting in a roll of it right now. It makes a fine phone stand!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1353 on: December 22, 2019, 10:16:21 pm »
The minister brought up duct tape at church today. He said that duct tape works to fix many things, but apparently it can't be used on ducts. Won't stick to them. He was talking about fixing things as compared to restoring them. There's a Brokie lesson in there somewhere.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1354 on: December 23, 2019, 10:43:41 am »
The minister brought up duct tape at church today. He said that duct tape works to fix many things, but apparently it can't be used on ducts. Won't stick to them. He was talking about fixing things as compared to restoring them. There's a Brokie lesson in there somewhere.

Did he say if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it?

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1355 on: December 23, 2019, 12:05:06 pm »
hehe, Annie's sermon.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1356 on: December 24, 2019, 06:58:14 am »

That reminds me of this:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1357 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:49 pm »
So when was the last time anyone used a Brokieism?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1358 on: January 30, 2020, 07:25:01 pm »
I can't remember.

Maybe I should make an effort to do so?   People always ask me to do things, and I always answer with "will do".  Maybe I should switch to "you bet!"

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1359 on: January 31, 2020, 10:07:04 pm »
I can't remember.

Maybe I should make an effort to do so?   People always ask me to do things, and I always answer with "will do".  Maybe I should switch to "you bet!"

Sure enough.  ;D