Author Topic: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?  (Read 41091 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
When Ennis says his dad thought all rodeo riders were "f*ck ups", then gives Jack sly googly eyes.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Call me a hopeless romantic, but I've experienced love at first sight and so that's my answer.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Call me a hopeless romantic, but I've experienced love at first sight and so that's my answer.

I think for Jack it was definately love at first sight.  But for Ennis, I think it wasn't until they were leaving, that he realized he love him....sigh.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
Here's a new one, and I realize it's post-consummation but it's where I really started to see their love relationship solidify:

For me, it's after they were done untangling them Chilean sheep outta theirs, when they were riding off and Ennis tells Jack he'll run them sheep off again if he didn't quiet down. 

The way Ennis grins at Jack when he delivers this line is so freaking cute, and Jack barely acknowledges it, he just keeps playing his harmonica.  And they ride on.  They're like an old married couple in love with each other they hardly have to speak any words, and don't even have to touch, to show affection.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 11:32:10 pm by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
I think Ennis *started* to fall in the "that's the most I've spoke in a year" scene, too.  That wasn't in the short story, though.  There I'd say it was when, as someone else said, he was riding back to the sheep after talking and drinking for hours with Jack and thought he'd never had such a good time - felt he could paw the white out of the moon (I love that line, too).

I think it started for Jack the moment he first laid eyes on Ennis.  I love how when they're in Aguirre's office, Jack steals a *very* long look at Ennis while Aguirre is talking to him.  Of course he steals a couple of other long looks outside - most notably in the side-view mirror (LOVE that one).  Some might say that's just attraction, but I think you can know you're supposed to be with someone just by looking at them.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Ann Marie - I do love how they're like an old married couple, too, really the whole time on Brokeback.  Especially in the scene after Ennis has "come up on a bear."  Every time I see Jack fuming away with the whiskey bottle, then getting *that look* when he finally shows up, then laying into him with something like "I come back here, hungry as hell, no fire, you're nowhere to be found, and there's nothin but beans."  Hell, I've about said those words a couple of times to my husband.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:08:41 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..

:D :D :D :D

I've been sitting here, giggling away reading this thread - I LOVE this sort of talk!!!  Its the sorta stuff I'm yearning to chat about with people everyday but nobody around me is the slightest bit interested!  That's why I'm so buzzing, cause Ray and I are off to see the movie together and we can talk about it afterwards..

I agree with Victoria that the "hell that's the most I've spoke in a year" scene is probably the clincher for Ennis.  I love that after he says that line, he can't stop himself from smiling even though he probably wants to. Jack, I reckon, was already in love by this point and he can't stop himself from smiling either, as Ennis starts to open up and talk - even though what Ennis is saying is really nothing to smile ABOUT. But it was like this little victorious smirk from Jack, like "at last, I got him".

Jack quite obviously fell in lust, at least, the moment he saw him. That stare while he's leaning against the truck.. phew.. and I do love the furtive little glances in Aguirre's office.  ;D ;D
Chut up!

Offline j.U.d.E.

Pretty much each time I see it, it gets sooner and sooner.

SAME HERE!!  :D  :D  :D

But it's just WE who know! Ennis and Jack don't seem to realize that they fell in love the very first time they meet.... (eh, not sure which tenses to use here..)  ;D  ;D  ;D

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
two interpretations of the question, I think.

1. When did I realize they were falling in love? It didn't occur to me until Water Walking Jesus that they were falling in love.

2. When do I think they fell in love? I think they started to fall in love at the "What?" "That's the most you've said in two weeks."
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
I felt it was that scene where Ennis is talking away and Jack give him that little smile and says that's the most I heard you talk all month, and Ennis offers that's the most I've talked all year and he give Jack that shy little smile.  It opens his face like a flower opening to the sun.  I think that's the moment when they first fall in love.

I also noticed in that scene, after Ennis says, "I mean, what's the point of ridin' some peice'a stock for eight seconds?", and then Jack, "Money's a good point," Ennis then says, "Sure enough, if you don't get stomped winnin' it," he looks at Jack closely for several moments, both concerned and amused, a quick smile and another peircing look, then turns to watch Jack put his boot next to the flame of the fire.  That particular moment caught my attention. 

Although, I'd have to say that entire scene makes very obvious the affection they have for each other.  They care about each other so much and it shows. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:01:13 pm by two_bloody_shirts »
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~