Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314808 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
How are you spending the summer solstice?
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:39:05 pm »
I'm dreaming about getting off work sometime before midnight so I can go celebrate midsummer night's madness. But how shall I celebrate?? Help me decide!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 07:50:38 pm »
In Sweden, they eat cold boiled crawfish and drink icy vodka. That sounds good to me.

(And I'll be drinking my icy vodka out of a certain little splatterware cup!)

Thanks for the reminder, F-R!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:34:58 pm by latjoreme »

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:06:32 pm »
I think I might get some friends together and hitting the Standard Downtown rooftop bar and enjoy the LA evening sky.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:09:15 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 08:09:19 pm »
Congrats on making it into the 1000+ post club Lee!
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:07 pm »
OK, you asked... and for some reason, I feel safe in responding.

I'm reflecting on the fact that it was 5 years ago this morning that a true soulmate of mine finished her 4-year battle with cancer and closed her tortured eyes for the last time as I held her.  Not trying to be melodramatic here, just reporting the facts.  There was not a dull moment in her 37 years.  Mary was one of the world's most passionate, energetic, caring people.  She loved her life, her partner and their son, her friends, the needy children in whose lives she worked tirelessly, her pets, and her rugby games.  Her last words, slurred when she momentarily and partially stirred from her coma, were "Help me live." 

What a gorgeous gift Mary gave me by asking me to walk her last earthbound miles with her ... & darn it all if I didn't get good with the morphine pump in the process!  Standing by her side, I faced the loss I feared every day in between her diagnosis and her death and came out stronger on the other side.  And since she was too g*ddamn special to be buried in the family plot, we made sure that her ashes reached her shaded church yard, crystalline Alaskan waters, and a sunny patch of the Amazon River.  I like to think that the sun hangs in the summer solstice sky just a few moments longer than it used to, since Mary is there to hold it up.

I continue to learn from the lessons of that period of my life.  Mary truly changed my life forever, and I am grateful.  I feel her energy around me all the time.

We rode it, Mary, as long as we could.  I love you.

"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 09:12:10 pm »

I'm reflecting on the fact that it was 5 years ago this morning that a true soulmate of mine finished her 4-year battle with cancer and closed her tortured eyes for the last time as I held her.  Not trying to be melodramatic here, just reporting the facts.  There was not a dull moment in her 37 years.  Mary was one of the world's most passionate, energetic, caring people.  She loved her life, her partner and their son, her friends, the needy children in whose lives she worked tirelessly, her pets, and her rugby games.  Her last words, slurred when she momentarily and partially stirred from her coma, were "Help me live." 

What a gorgeous gift Mary gave me by asking me to walk her last earthbound miles with her ... & darn it all if I didn't get good with the morphine pump in the process!  Standing by her side, I faced the loss I feared every day in between her diagnosis and her death and came out stronger on the other side.  And since she was too g*ddamn special to be buried in the family plot, we made sure that her ashes reached her shaded church yard, crystalline Alaskan waters, and a sunny patch of the Amazon River.  I like to think that the sun hangs in the summer solstice sky just a few moments longer than it used to, since Mary is there to hold it up.

I continue to learn from the lessons of that period of my life.  Mary truly changed my life forever, and I am grateful.  I feel her energy around me all the time.

wow. you are one lucky person to have had Mary in your life. and she to have had you. that was a beautiful post. and the solstice sunset will always be more beautiful for your having shared that with us. thank you.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 09:34:32 pm »
I will be watching Brokeback Mountain..definately!

But  I might try to balance an egg on its' end while I'm watching it! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 09:38:36 pm »

Oh God! Alec. What can I say after reading something like this? That was absolutely beautiful! I'm crying right now.

Thank you for sharing this life journey with us.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 10:44:47 pm »
Thank you very much Alec for sharing that with us. I would like to exit this world on the summer solstice too. I hope I can be half as courageous as Mary. Right now, I am having a wonderful time as Nature is putting on a spectacular show for me. Lightning, peals of thunder, rainbows, dramatic skies, sunsets, clouds, and rays of sun. And that wonderful smell of ozone. How I love the smell of ozone in the evening. Good night, oh my Brokie brothers and sisters.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:26 pm »

Thank you Alec for sharing that VERY touching, poignant and moving memory with us. The infinite grace of the human heart and spirit never ceases to amaze and inspite.  So beautiful and so blessed.