Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314803 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 12:17:24 am »
Sorry, I've been out of pocket. 

Yes, you can purchase them over at Alchemy Works.  I highly recommend the site.  I've bought from there several times.

Thanks Delalluvia! I will have to check it out. I love incense. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 11:20:55 am »
Voting reset to zero!! Tell us what you plan to do to celebrate midsummer!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 11:26:09 am »
How 'bout "Not a damn thing"?  :-\ It's Father's Day, and that has to take precedence for me.  :-\

"Happy tussling" is how one celebrates Beltane.  One celebrates the Solstice with a great big bonfire.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:55 am »

I actually voted for "watching BBM."  It's been a while for me and the mood is striking me to see it again... especially today for some reason.  But, I'll wait for the weekend.

Of course, I'll also be calling Dad.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 11:42:53 am »
What a great idea to watch the movie, friend Amanda!! I hope to hear your fresh insights this time around! It's entirely appropriate to watch Brokeback Mountain at this time, because both Ennis and Jack were fathers...and good ones at that!

"Happy tussling" is how one celebrates Beltane.  One celebrates the Solstice with a great big bonfire.  8)

Oh, I wish I'd known this back at Beltane, friend! If the Solstice is for bonfires, I started celebrating early. Went up in the mountains with FRiends last weekend and a campfire was the main feature (along with four-wheeling). I think it qualified as a bonfire because it was the kind where you have to stand or sit about 3 feet away; the kind where you have to dump all your clothes in the washer as soon as you get home to get the smoky woodsy smell out of them!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 01:15:48 pm »
Point of clarification needed: does the summer solstice mark midsummer, or the beginning of summer? Enquiring minds want to know! (Or is that inquiring? I've been surfing Scottish and English web sites, and now my spelling's all shot to hell!!)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:35 pm »
Point of clarification needed: does the summer solstice mark midsummer, or the beginning of summer? Enquiring minds want to know! (Or is that inquiring? I've been surfing Scottish and English web sites, and now my spelling's all shot to hell!!)

The summer solstice marks the beginning of summer.

Now, just to confuse matters, it used to be called "Midsummer Day," which really meant "Mid-year Day," because it was presumed to be the middle of the year, six months after/six months before the winter solstice.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 01:50:17 pm »
The summer solstice marks the beginning of summer.

Now, just to confuse matters, it used to be called "Midsummer Day," which really meant "Mid-year Day," because it was presumed to be the middle of the year, six months after/six months before the winter solstice.

Thank you, friend, that's great to know!!

Another way to spend the day might be to watch Were the World Mine about a gay teenager's audition for a musical version of Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream." Or, you could watch Woody Allen's version, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 07:07:56 pm »
Thank you, friend, that's great to know!!

Another way to spend the day might be to watch Were the World Mine about a gay teenager's audition for a musical version of Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream." Or, you could watch Woody Allen's version, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.

Good idea, friend.  Were the World Mine  just came out on DVD two weeks ago. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKsFo3q_yZA[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 07:37:39 pm »
the kind where you have to dump all your clothes in the washer as soon as you get home to get the smoky woodsy smell out of them!

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to rid your clothes of their smoke and mountain sage and sweet salty stink!  :)