Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184636 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4470 on: September 25, 2006, 11:16:48 am »
Ooo... Louise - this sounds ominious! Like Ellery (or Ennis) are going to be driven to do something silly because of it. Sorry for my ignorance but what does WB stand for (this being the first forum I've ever really been involved in)?

Thanks for fixing my post.

Karen

WB means "Welcome back."

There has been a very definite theme since Ellery's first rash and unnecessary injuries and overdoing it in the first month of their relationship to show that Ellery has complete disregard for his own health when it comes to sex.  Only severe and unrelenting pain slows him down: partly due to his libido, partly due to his intense desire to please Ennis and give him what he so obviously craves and has been missing, and partly driven by an underlying fear that he will be kicked to the curb for not putting out, because it has happened.  Saying no in the bedroom is not something Ellery knows how to do, and is consistent with his sexual submissiveness.  Willingness is what he is used to, and as he gets older and less able, and more stressed out, his willingness is being contradicted by his own physical limitations.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4471 on: September 25, 2006, 11:22:39 am »
WB means "Welcome back."

There has been a very definite theme since Ellery's first rash and unnecessary injuries and overdoing it in the first month of their relationship to show that Ellery has complete disregard for his own health when it comes to sex.  Only severe and unrelenting pain slows him down: partly due to his libido, partly due to his intense desire to please Ennis and give him what he so obviously craves and has been missing, and partly driven by an underlying fear that he will be kicked to the curb for not putting out, because it has happened.  Saying no in the bedroom is not something Ellery knows how to do, and is consistent with his sexual submissiveness.  Willingness is what he is used to, and as he gets older and less able, and more stressed out, his willingness is being contradicted by his own physical limitations.

I find Ellery such a fascinating character, he's a contradiction in his personal and professional life.  I find the whole thing about him being sexually submissive very interesting and I understand why he is.  You have just helped me understand that little bit more Louise, and I could discuss this element of his character all day.  I just wish he could stop thinking that Ennis is going to leave him, just because he cant have regular sex.  I want Ennis to tell Ellery all the things he's been thinking about lately, so Ellery knows exactly how Ennis feels about him.  That, at least, should help reassure him.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4472 on: September 25, 2006, 11:27:03 am »
WB means "Welcome back."

Do you know Louise that is so sad. :'( Ellery is so desperate to please Ennis he disregards his own health. No matter how much it hurts he,ll put up with it because he loves Ennis so much and just wants to please him... How sad that he thinks so little of himself. Obviously caused by the fact that Beagle just used him as a convenient orrifice basically. I wanna give him a BIG hug now...bless him.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4473 on: September 25, 2006, 11:28:44 am »
I want Ennis to tell Ellery all the things he's been thinking about lately, so Ellery knows exactly how Ennis feels about him.  That, at least, should help reassure him.

Exactly Christie, and likewise Ellery should tell Ennis why he thinks so little of himself. *SNIFF*  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4474 on: September 25, 2006, 11:32:28 am »
If we could all act on our intellectual and rational side, then there would never be any conflict between our rational minds and our emotions.  But no matter how much Ennis reassures Ellery, it is something he may just have to learn.... the HARD way.  heheh.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4475 on: September 25, 2006, 12:02:02 pm »
If we could all act on our intellectual and rational side, then there would never be any conflict between our rational minds and our emotions.  But no matter how much Ennis reassures Ellery, it is something he may just have to learn.... the HARD way.  heheh.
SO true Louise. And so true in RL too....*sigh*

Hmmm, the HARD way?! LOL Thought that was the wrong way for him right now??

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #4476 on: September 25, 2006, 12:15:32 pm »
It's a new day and a hot, sunny one in lovely Florida.

I already got to read a wonderful new chapter and catch up on other things.  Thanx to all for the encouragment and support- It helped bunches!

Magic - I loved your poem!

Oh, and I'm going to Disney World on Wednesday.  Whoo-weee!    :)

NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4477 on: September 25, 2006, 12:20:56 pm »
It's a new day and a hot, sunny one in lovely Florida.

I already got to read a wonderful new chapter and catch up on other things.  Thanx to all for the encouragment and support- It helped bunches!

Magic - I loved your poem!

Oh, and I'm going to Disney World on Wednesday.  Whoo-weee!    :)

I'm happy to see you posting and cheery again NavyVet  :)

Ooooh Disney World, whooo-wee indeed! I went to Disney Land in Paris a few months ago, it was great fun but it's still not the same as the one in Florida  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4478 on: September 25, 2006, 12:52:53 pm »
*typity typity type....*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4479 on: September 25, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
*typity typity type....*
YOU are totally spoiling us, Louise  :-*