Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3093307 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #550 on: July 01, 2006, 02:42:18 pm »
Hello PastorFred!  :)

Glad to see you here!
I remember you from the IMDB boards, glad to see you over here, discussing Ennis and Ellery with the rest of us!  It is quite the experience aint it?

You are not the only one who is obsessed with it, rest assured!  ;D
For people like us who believe that Ennis doesn't have to die alone in misery and anguish after Jack, Ellery is a good man, who doesnot replace Jack, but gives Ennis another chance at love and life as a gay man.

I am hooked!  ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #551 on: July 01, 2006, 02:43:04 pm »
SQUEE!!  Thanks for these Lucise!  I'm partial to #1 and 2, myself.  LOVE that image of HJ-Ellery in number 1.  Very Ellery IMO.

Monica

Hey Monica - yer welcome!  ;) 
I am partial to #1 too!

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #552 on: July 01, 2006, 02:47:56 pm »
So true, ain't it? That Jack wants that. There are so many times in Laramie Saga that I can feel the presence of Jack. He's always egging those boys on, too! Somehow I have the feeling that he gets to share in the sweet life that E & E are building. When we hear from those who have gone ahead of us, they speak through our own hearts and minds. So Ennis can't hear Jack's forgiveness until he can imagine it.          And Ellery helps him hear Jack tell him that he had done the best he could, that there truly was ultimately nothing to forgive. And so many other times...

Fred, I've been saying something a long these lines myself... but I like the way you've phrased it so much better!

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #553 on: July 01, 2006, 03:06:34 pm »
I'm hoping that Louise will keep writing about Ennis and Ellery for a long time to come, bringing them right into the present...

So... here's something from the crazy idea department:

If Ellery's career in the Laramie County Sheriff's department moves into the late 90's, I'm very confident that he will be instrumental in solving the homicide of Matthew Shepard. Even if he has moved on, I can imagine his being called back to work on that.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #554 on: July 01, 2006, 03:09:38 pm »

There's a much more literal way Jack was instrumental: It was his journal that got Ennis out of that little room and on the road to Laramie, to Ellery and his future.

Fred,

This is such a good, and very insightful, comment. I hadn't thought of it this way, but it is so verry true. It is like the physical manifestation of Jack giving Ennis the go ahead, not just the ideas and thoughts of Jack in Ennis's head.

I started re-reading the first book this morning so the journal stuff is all fresh in my mind. This really is a very true observation.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #555 on: July 01, 2006, 03:15:43 pm »
Ow wow, Pastor fred, neatfreak, I need to print out and paste your messages over my monitor to remind me that I am writing this saga for YOU FOLKS, the ones who cannot deny and who need to accept the fact of Jack's death, and then what?  I am older than Ennis AND Ellery, sometimes I limp a little with arthritis in my left knee, and I left a relationship behind in the last millenium and feel qualified to state, life goes on people... and finding a new love and a new life does not negate the depth or beauty of the one that began the journey.

In any case, here I am again, typing madly at the internet cafe once more, and yes, this is the last night I am enduring this, at noon tomorrow my seminar ends and it's back to the big computer and my MS Word.

I am in the middle of writing chapter 50 now and hope to get done before this cafe closes.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #556 on: July 01, 2006, 03:18:22 pm »

If Ellery's career in the Laramie County Sheriff's department moves into the late 90's, I'm very confident that he will be instrumental in solving the homicide of Matthew Shepard. Even if he has moved on, I can imagine his being called back to work on that.

A little fact I have come across...and it is an inconsistency in different places in the story--the city of Laramie is in Albany Country, WY. There is a Laramie County, in the southwest corner, and the biggest city in that county is Cheyenne.

Technically, I think, Ellery would work for the Albany Country Sheriff's Department. I know we have said different things, and have shown the badge of the Laramie Police Dept. on this thread, but sheriffs are at the county level, not city, right? At least, that's the way it works here in Maine. And the Albany County website would seem to indicate the same thing (although that has a different sherriff (James Pond) than the one David found the picture of the other day).

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #557 on: July 01, 2006, 03:20:22 pm »
In any case, here I am again, typing madly at the internet cafe once more, and yes, this is the last night I am enduring this, at noon tomorrow my seminar ends and it's back to the big computer and my MS Word.

I am in the middle of writing chapter 50 now and hope to get done before this cafe closes.

Well, then,  stop chatting with us, sweetie, and type! LOL

Seriously, I have had lousy internet all day and it has been driving me crazy. I seriously thought of going into my office so I could get my Chez Tremblay fix.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #558 on: July 01, 2006, 03:31:50 pm »
A little fact I have come across...and it is an inconsistency in different places in the story--the city of Laramie is in Albany Country, WY. There is a Laramie County, in the southwest corner, and the biggest city in that county is Cheyenne.

Technically, I think, Ellery would work for the Albany Country Sheriff's Department. I know we have said different things, and have shown the badge of the Laramie Police Dept. on this thread, but sheriffs are at the county level, not city, right? At least, that's the way it works here in Maine. And the Albany County website would seem to indicate the same thing (although that has a different sherriff (James Pond) than the one David found the picture of the other day).

L

yes I learned all of this to my dismay halfway through "Taking Chances" and changed some of the terminology.  The changeover to the actual "Albany County" sheriff 's department will have to wait till after I finish the chapter 50 sex scene and I do the second edit, which takes second priority to typity typing.  I have half an hour.  Almost done.

Anyone who is on, once I get done and post I will drop by the chatforum again, no one showed before, maybe since it is later in the day I can catch one or more of you!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #559 on: July 01, 2006, 03:37:30 pm »
G'morning Fred!

I hear ya.  I was reluctant to think of Ennis with another man at first.  But Leslie (Mainewriter) convinced me to try reading a few chapters.   Now I'm hooked!

This is such an interesting comment. I have had a lot of people who read my story and I know they liked it a lot. And they were sad when it ended. And many of those people got in touch (email, pm, etc) and said, I really want something to read, what should I read next? The Laramie Saga was my only suggestion. It meets my criteria of being very well written, having a good and believeable storyline, and (as we all know) a very compelling relationship between Ennis and Ellery.

Lots of people (as David attests) object..."Oh no, I can't read anything about Ennis with anyone other than Jack..." I have found I have to suggest it more than once to get them to come around. I have two people I am working on now. One (Front Ranger) is a regular on Chez Tremblay. The other (Lisa--David, you met her) hasn't gotten there yet but she is getting closer. Many are enticed to give it a try because of the promise of hot sex and then something else happens in the midst of those 200+ chapters.

L