Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3081159 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2006, 06:08:44 am »
Yes!  That's him!  (I always thought the other photo was a little too pretty and a lot too young.)

Welcome, Sid. Glad to have you here.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2006, 06:30:35 am »
This works, but our Italian model friend has definitely got better bedroom eyes  ;)

ok well let's compromise... your Italian model can be "flashback Ellery" from when he was 18.  Because that guy doesn't look a day over 20!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2006, 06:51:15 am »
Slightly off topic but I have a feeling new folks will be joining us, due to Louise's message on her LJ.

New folks...welcome. I will try to say hello individually but I have one of those pesky things called a "real" job and I need to spend serious time at it this week. It's the end of the month and I have a number of projects with June 30 deadlines. I am going to try to stay off the board during the day...we'll see, that hasn't happened in months. But anyway..

I just wanted to give a little introduction, who we are and tell you why we are named Chez Tremblay, which I know is not intuitively obvious.

Way back when (like December), people started going to see BBM in the movie theater and as we all know, we have all had varying reactions to the movie--usually a profound, unsettling disquietude that doesn't go away. In an effort to assauge and understand these feelings, I sought out an online community and ended up at the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). It was a good discussion but as everyone knows, IMDb is crawling with trolls.

In late January, one of the regulars (Brandon) got the idea to start posting on the Pierre Tremblay board. Pierre was the 1st Assistant Director of the movie. Everyone at IMDb gets a board, but when Brandon discovered it, Pierre had 0 posts. It quickly became "home" for a group of us (I would guess about 200 folks).

We tracked Pierre down (I was the one who found his email address) to let him know what was going on. He actually started posting (a little bit) and his wife, Nicole, became a bit of a regular. One of the coolest things was that we came up with 10 questions about making the movie, and Pierre answered them all. Here's a great tidbit: the tobaggoning scene--that's was Pierre's idea. The original screenplay had Ennis and Alma spinning circles in their truck in a parking lot. But the weather wasn't cold enough for an icy parking lot and the scene wasn't working. Pierre suggested they go up to the mountains and go sledding instead. And I am sure that everyone has heard the story the Michelle twisted her knee, Heath went with her to the hospital, and this is when they started falling in love. Pierre confirmed this little tidbit of gossip to be true. [The ten questions are actually archived on this board somewhere if anyone wants to read them.]

We managed to keep it semi-private for about 6 weeks. At our peak, we had 20,000+ messages.

Then the trolls invaded.

They didn't just post hateful messages, they figured out a way to auto-delete. They started ripping through the board. We lost 10,000 messages in 6 days. By this time, we had truly become a community of people. A group had gotten together from the board and gone to the Aero screening. Another group was planning a brunch in NYC. The thought that these trolls could destroy our community...it was beyond overwhelming. We needed to find a new home.

And that is how we ended up here at Bettermost, bringing our moniker (Chez Tremblay, to honor Pierre's French-Canadian heritage) and our little band of die hard Brokies (also known as Tremblayans, but I am seeing that less and less).

I think, because of what we went through, we are a very friendly and welcoming group. Philip, who runs Bettermost, is also a terrific guy and has provided us with a happy and safe haven. Chez Tremblay...we try to stay on BBM topics but yeah, we get sidetracked. LOL.

I would encourage newcomers to spend some time exploring the board, not just the Ennis and Ellery thread, and not just Chez Tremblay (although I will admit, I don't venture too far--Anything Goes is fun, though). Welcome to ouir community and keep in mind the thing that brought us all together--a story and a movie that has grabbed us and just won't let us go...for whatever reason.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled Ennis and Ellery discussion!

Leslie
MaineWriter (LazyLFarm on LiveJournal)

PS, Feel free to PM me if you have questions, need more info, whatever...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2006, 06:53:41 am »
ok well let's compromise... your Italian model can be "flashback Ellery" from when he was 18.  Because that guy doesn't look a day over 20!

Works for me, but man oh man, Beagle doesn't deserve someone that good looking! LOL

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2006, 06:59:28 am »
I suppose as the nominal guest of honor on this thread I should make a comment about how thrilled I am that people have a place to openly discuss the fics.  They are big, they are long, and there are a lot of plots, characters, and actions involved.  And I have been able to incorporate some suggestions from readers into the plot as I go.  Some of the ideas I have incorporated:

1) Ennis's job:  came from a suggestion from a reader who runs a horse ranch
2) Ellery and Ennis expanding their culinary tastes to include a barbecue grille
3) Dupree exploring the Queer World and becoming better friends with Ennis
4) Jim flirting with Ennis and providing plot complications
5) Ennis seeking advice from Edna and bringing Edna and Wes more into the action in the 3rd book
6) The details of the AIDS plot and the clinical trials of the tests.
7) And of course Bottom!Ennis *blush*

I have also had legal advice from a lawyer, ranch advice from ranch folks, AIDS advice from an AIDS-experienced nurse (Leslie once more) and believe it or not, police information from a policeman! as well as some advice on firearms.

So if you have something you would urgently visualize as needing to be in the story then it might be worth tossing out there, because I might be able to incorporated something if it fits the plot.

So please speak up and talk about anything you would like to discuss here... ! and welcome.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:29:09 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2006, 07:01:25 am »
Works for me, but man oh man, Beagle doesn't deserve someone that good looking! LOL

Yes but he is lanky and has that androgynous beauty that would attract a man who is on the fence about his sexuality!  Not to mention the bitable lower lip.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2006, 07:26:47 am »
Yes but he is lanky and has that androgynous beauty that would attract a man who is on the fence about his sexuality!  Not to mention the bitable lower lip.

Pluckable, too...

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2006, 07:27:24 am »
Just wanted to introduce myself; I'm jumping in at louise's invitation. I'm a faithful reader of every single word (and there weren't enough of them yesterday!), having discovered "Taking Chances" on the slash thread at davecullen.com. I'm really enjoying the pics posted here. My own ideas wander and morph as I continue to read. Y'all get ready for a slew of new members as they read of this new "home!"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2006, 07:30:04 am »
well I sure hope so.  I feel as though we all took our lumps already and it's time we got a little love going.

Welcome neatfreak!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2006, 07:31:11 am »
Just wanted to introduce myself; I'm jumping in at louise's invitation. I'm a faithful reader of every single word (and there weren't enough of them yesterday!), having discovered "Taking Chances" on the slash thread at davecullen.com. I'm really enjoying the pics posted here. My own ideas wander and morph as I continue to read. Y'all get ready for a slew of new members as they read of this new "home!"

Welcome, neatfreak...glad to have you here. This is going to be  great discussion. I am looking forward to the new people!

L