Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1000816 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #800 on: August 14, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »
so you had sundae candy and eye candy.  :)

Something like that, yes.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #801 on: August 14, 2015, 05:48:36 pm »
I don't know where Rocky Ford is, but I sure hope they don't get their irrigation water from the Animas River.  :(

No, Rocky Ford is in the Arkansas River Valley, its water comes from that river. Update on the Animas, the pollution is down in New Mexico now, on its way to Lake Powell. Surprisingly, the EPA has said that the water in the Animas now tests all clear of pollution!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #802 on: August 14, 2015, 07:38:18 pm »
No, Rocky Ford is in the Arkansas River Valley, its water comes from that river. Update on the Animas, the pollution is down in New Mexico now, on its way to Lake Powell. Surprisingly, the EPA has said that the water in the Animas now tests all clear of pollution!

I haven't heard anything today; I missed the network evening news today as I was grocery shopping. But NBC has followed the story quite closely. I understand your Governor Hickenlooper actually took a drink out of the Animas.

Over my desk at work I have a postcard whereon you can see a small portion of the Animas. The card shows a train of the Durango & Silverton on the High Line in the Animas Canyon below Silverton.

I'd like to go back there some day.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #803 on: August 15, 2015, 01:13:52 pm »
today for lunch, some baked beans with franks and bacon, and some corn on the cob.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #804 on: August 15, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »
today for lunch, some baked beans with franks and bacon, and some corn on the cob.

Yikes! That's the kind of meal I'd have for supper.

Tonight: Barbecued chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob, and ice cream for dessert.

I'm going to try making the corn the way my dad makes it, in the microwave oven, so I don't have a big pot to clean up after supper.

Lunch, such as it was, was just a couple of forkfuls to sample the potato salad I'm having for supper, and about a third of a tomato, with salt and pepper. (The whole tomato originally was about as large as half a cantaloupe.)

Breakfast was a whole-wheat bagel with peanut butter, and coffee.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #805 on: August 15, 2015, 06:56:18 pm »
I'm going to try making the corn the way my dad makes it, in the microwave oven, so I don't have a big pot to clean up after supper.
Let us know how it turns out! I would like to forego washing a large pan myself, but I don't want to end up with microwaved popcorn!
Lunch, such as it was, was just a couple of forkfuls to sample the potato salad I'm having for supper, and about a third of a tomato, with salt and pepper. (The whole tomato originally was about as large as half a cantaloupe.)
Oh, for a second there, I thought you said you ate a cantaloupe. But Paul tells me East Coast cantaloupes are not very good.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #806 on: August 15, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »
Let us know how it turns out! I would like to forego washing a large pan myself, but I don't want to end up with microwaved popcorn!

Turned out great! Best corn on the cob I've had all summer! I wish I had asked my dad years ago how he did it!

It's very easy. Husk the corn, and make the corn wet. Wrap the corn in a paper towel, and then make the paper towel wet. Wrap it all in wax paper. Place it on a paper plate and microwave it on High for three minutes. That's all there is to it. (Use potholders to take it out of the microwave because it's HOT!)

I don't use paper plates in my home, so I just placed it on a paper towel in the microwave, and that worked just fine.

By the way, these instructions are for steaming one ear of corn at a time. I don't know how to adjust them to make more than one ear at a time.

Oh, for a second there, I thought you said you ate a cantaloupe. But Paul tells me East Coast cantaloupes are not very good.

Hmm. Well, Paul's a goor-MAY, and he's clearly never had a Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, cantaloupe.  ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #807 on: August 15, 2015, 08:40:08 pm »
New England melons are non-existent to not very good, and taste like cucumbers. 

I am sure that Lancaster cantaloupes are lovely, as are the Rocky Ford type (these I know). 

Our best melons come "from away", wherever that may be.

There are orange-flesh honeydew melons that I can get at a certain farm stand in Wellfeet on Cape Cod that are beyond gorgeous.  (Gotta check the label next time.)

The best melons I ever had are two:  one, whilst visiting friends in San Luis Obispo, CA, was served after dinner, and I was stopped in my tracks, it was soooooooooo good; and two, was the melon de Cavaillon that I bought in the south of France and broke over a rock to eat like a caveman.  Fantastique!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #808 on: September 17, 2015, 02:06:16 pm »
I made my own home-made breakfast sandwich this morning: Two slices of whole-wheat toast, one fried egg, one slice of turkey breast, one slice of cheese.

With the two slices of toast, it obviously wasn't very low-carb,  :(  but it was pretty good. It might have been improved if I had microwaved it a bit, to melt the cheese, or maybe buttered the bread, but it wasn't bad.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #809 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:54 pm »
today I felt like cheap fast food, so I had a breakfast sandwich from Burger King.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!