Author Topic: BBC News Article.... Womb environment 'makes men gay'  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: BBC News Article.... Womb environment 'makes men gay'
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »

Wow!!

The things you learn from Chez Tremblay...  :o
Chut up!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 10:35:35 pm »
You know, I was thinking tonight as I was taking the dog for a walk. Was Jack perhaps adopted? That would explain why "Ennis couldn't see much of Jack in either one of them," as it says in the story.  Also, it would explain (not excuse) why his father was so cruel. If Jack was adopted, maybe he did have an older brother somewhere.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 09:30:10 am »
My only fear is that Scientist want to learn what makes a person Gay so they can prevent it from hapening in the future!

Imagine if there was a simple test to see how your child would be born?    Everything from physical Birth defects to things like mental disorders.    They could give the parents the option of not keeping the child.   "oh and we discovered your son is going to be a flaming queen of a hairdresser, would you like that Sir?"   

Can you imagine how BORING this planet would be without Gay men and women?

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 10:18:39 am »
Yep, Celeste really speaks to my initial reaction to the article.

Let me also point out that, any one studying Statisitcs 101 can tell you, correlation don't not mean proof. Just because their is more a correlation between homosexuality in biological brothers might rule out one social factor, it doesn't mean that it prooves the biological factor. There are too many exception. Gattaca himself is one, an older brother who gay. I've also met quite a few identical twins who are one gay one straight. If sexuality is biologically and genetically determined, that should be impossible. I take this article with a grain of salt, and wait to see how the study is reproduced and challenged.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 05:17:22 pm »
Can you imagine how BORING this planet would be without Gay men and women Brokeback mountain?

do you think we could cope!? what would we do with our lives? what did we do pre BBM!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 05:41:40 pm »

Let me also point out that, any one studying Statisitcs 101 can tell you, correlation don't not mean proof.

Absolutely!  There is a huge difference between correlation and causation.  This sort of statistical compilation tells us nothing essentially.  Maybe all it tells us is that the more siblings/offspring exist in a family, the more likey it is that at least one will be gay.  And maybe that's just reflective of populatin statistics - that in any larger given group there will be more diversity.

It's not hard to make numbers mean anything, and even less difficult to simiply present them without understanding what they mean at all.  How many siblings do you have to have, and of what gender, to make you straight?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:38 am »
*bumping*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 08:14:05 am »
my goodness! I had foirgotten I had even posted this!! Somebody has been busy digging this morning Lynne!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 10:26:26 am »
my goodness! I had foirgotten I had even posted this!! Somebody has been busy digging this morning Lynne!

Yes, I went searching for it specifically, Kelda, because one of our members had heard this/a similar theory and had some questions.  I'm hoping that some of our members who work in health care/bio-sciences will weigh in with their thoughts.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »
I wonder what the "womb environment" does to/about gay girls?  I love how that issue is completely ignored in the study (apparently).  I'd be curious as a gay girl myself.  I loathe and detest studies like this.  I wonder if they're planning on doing a study about what makes straight men straight (I'm sure they'd leave straight girls out of that one too)?
 >:( >:( >:(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie