Author Topic: Through the Veil of Time  (Read 85683 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Through the Veil of Time
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2007, 10:01:22 am »
I have to say that this was a wonderful chapter. It brought back a lot of memories from Brokeback. I especially liked the part when Jack was trying to recreate the position he was in when he met Ennis! It was very good Leslie. Thanks!

Thanks, Natali!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2007, 12:06:21 pm »
The moment in chapter one of ALBFS that Ennis said the magic word:

*QUOTE*
Again, Ennis hitched forward, moving even closer to Jack. He held Jack’s right hand with his left, and used his right index finger to push up Jack’s chin. “Lookit me, bud.” Their eyes fixed together. “Jack, if you died, I couldn’t live. And if you killed yerself because of me, well then, I’d hafta kill myself, because I could never live with that weight on my shoulders.” He paused. “And I realized that if we’re gonna start killin’ ourselves and endin’ up dead, we might as well try livin’ together before we do, because what’s the point of being dead if we haven’t done the thing that was gonna get us killed in the first place?”

Jack looked puzzled. “Ennis, what the fuck are ya sayin’?”

“I’m sayin’ yes, Jack. I’m sayin’ yes to the question you’ve asked me ev’ry time we’ve been together for the last nine years. I’m sayin’ yes to some sweet life, yes to a cow and calf operation, yes to whatever other crazy fuckin’ idea ya might have.”

“Oh, Ennis,” Jack breathed, “don’t be cruel.”

“I ain’t being cruel, Jack, I’m tellin’ ya the truth. You said last night, ‘I want you, I want all of you, all of the time. I want you in my life. I want you to be my life.’ Jack, that’s what I want, too.”

“Oh, God, Ennis.” Jack felt himself starting to tremble.

Ennis took Jack’s face in both of his hands. “I love you, Jack. It’s that simple.”

At that point, Jack truly lost it. He fell forward into Ennis’s arms, his breath rasping and chest heaving, thirteen years of bottled up emotion exiting his body. Giant sobs escaped from his mouth and tears poured down his cheeks. Jack almost felt as if he was going to piss himself. “Oh God, Ennis, oh, God….”

Ennis pulled him close, stroking his hair, “It’s okay cowboy, I’m here and I ain’t ever goin’ away.” With his other hand he made rhythmic circles on Jack’s back, “It’s okay, lil darlin’, it’s okay babe, I love you.”

Jack thought he would die at the sound of the words coming out of Ennis’s mouth. Ennis, usually hard pressed to tell someone the time of day, was now reciting endearments and I-love-yous as if they were a mantra. “Oh, Ennis, I love you.” *QUOTE:

Brings me out in goosebumps every time, and now, here they are after more than 30 years, still together and very much in love. *SIGH*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2007, 01:27:26 pm »
Ah, thanks Siouxi...

I love that section, too...obviously! Look at my banner...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2007, 05:45:38 am »
Leslie,

I know I've already said it SO many times, but I just love your J & E sooooo much. :D

This chapter was just absolutely beautiful, hot, and perfect from start to finish. :)

Where do I begin? hehehe

I love this part...omfg...I love this part:

"Jack tried to remember the suppleness of his youth, when his body felt long and lean and languid. I draped, he thought, I draped myself against the side of the truck."

:D Big silly-ass grin on my face. Your wording is so perfect. I can so see it. But the funny thing is, I see both Jacks at the same time...the 19-year old right next to the 63-year old. (Kinda nudging him and saying, 'do it like this, Bud') lol So perfect. :)

And this:

"He was transported back through time and once again, Ennis was 19, standing outside Aguirre’s trailer in Signal, seeing Jack for the first time in his life. He remembered the pose, the posture, the jet black hair, the brilliant blue eyes peering out from under the brim of his hat. The hair wasn’t black anymore but everything else was picture perfect."

Your wording is what made it 'picture perfect.'

And I love Ennis' directness and honesty:

"Oh holy fuck, he thought, I can’t have a hard-on in front of all these people."

HEHEHE That was beautiful. In his 60's, gettin an instant hard-on, just lookin at his man. ;)

And finally, this part...cuz ya know know where my mind always is:

"And,” he added, after a pause, “I want ya ta fuck me in the front seat a this truck. I want ya ta drill me inta this nice smooth leather,” he said, running his hand along the seat, “but sometime when we have time…and mebbe a little lube.”

Gotta love our boys still wantin it all the time...just not quite as rough as that first time. ;) hehehe

Leslie, you are the queen. :)
Love ya, sweetie.

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2007, 04:46:20 pm »
Through The Veil Of Time

Chapter 30. Judging Time

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/28847.html

Thirty chapters seems like a milestone, so I'll give a little synopsis. This story is a sequel to "A Love Born From Steel." It begins in May 2006 with Jack and Ennis, now 63, living on the Lazy L Farm in Quanah, TX. I started it in response to a prompt to "do something with Jack and Ennis in the present."

Lots of sharing about their love, their lives, and their happiness...thirty years on.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2007, 05:39:38 pm »
Another chapter?   :)  You are smokin', Your Highness - and we love it!

Congratulations on Chapter 30 - and what a warm, wonderful chapter it is!

I really enjoyed seeing the funny, inquisitive side of KE.  The categories are great!  And I'm glad he's asking questions as well as observing - shows he's making a sincere effort to appreciate and understand! 

Of course, you know me - this is my favorite part ...

“I am married. I am married in my heart and if ya think a marriage as a covenant between two people, well, we’re prob’ly the most married people here ...

and "covenant" is one of my favorite words!   :)

It's going to be hard for Ennis (and for me) to say good-bye to KE.

Thanks again!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2007, 06:13:26 pm »
Thanks, Marie!

I have been struggling with the judging...it seemed sort of boring to write, "And then Ennis stood up and gave X certficate to X..." As I pondered it, I realized the reason that Ennis asked KE to help him with the judging...and you just read the results.

Yes, a covenant, as in a solemn promise. Ennis believes himself to be married, and is married, and hates it when the government reminds him otherwise.

Thanks for being a loyal reader and commenter! I so appreciate it!

Leslie

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2007, 12:53:32 am »
Through The Veil Of Time

Chapter 30. Judging Time

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/28847.html

Thirty chapters seems like a milestone, so I'll give a little synopsis. This story is a sequel to "A Love Born From Steel." It begins in May 2006 with Jack and Ennis, now 63, living on the Lazy L Farm in Quanah, TX. I started it in response to a prompt to "do something with Jack and Ennis in the present."

Lots of sharing about their love, their lives, and their happiness...thirty years on.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter

Leslie,

Like everyone else, I really loved the interaction between K.E. and Ennis. It just felt dead on perfect. I loved how Ennis used the word 'covenant,' and I also loved how he said that not being able to file jointly really pissed him off.

You always combine just the right amount of thoughtfulness with humor.

I also really loved this part:

"KE nodded, picking up another cup. “Yup, this one, this white chicken chili. I liked the way it looked ‘cause it was white. The chef is a good lookin’ gal, too.”

“Lureen?”

KE nodded and Ennis shook his head. “KE Del Mar, you are too fuckin’ much. Pretty chili and a pretty chili chef.”

“C’mon, you don’t think she’s good lookin’?”

“I s’pose, but I don’t think a Jack’s ex that way. I mostly think a her as a friend. Besides, she musta told ya she’s married.”

KE snorted. “’Course she did. C’mon, give me a break…I’m a dyin’ man goin’ home ta Wyoming in two days. I ain’t lookin’ ta get in her pants, Ennis, I’m just enjoyin’ the scenery.”

I just got such a kick out of that. lol

And this too:

“Well, I guess I got some questions, that’s all. I’m tryin’ ta understand.”

“And I guess it makes sense ta ask me the questions.”

“Well, I ain’t gonna ask that big biker guy!”

hehehe ~~~ Trying to picture 'big biker guy' explaining some of the more delicate facts to K.E.~~~ ;) lol

But this was my favorite:

“Ain’t just the truck, it’s all of it,” KE replied, raising his arm and waving it outward. “This party, yer friends, yer hospitality…” His voice dropped a notch and he gave Ennis an embarrassed smile. “You bein’ nice ta me…welcomin’ me back inta yer life.”

Ennis looked down at his hands, equally embarrassed. “Ah shit, KE…I’m beginnin’ ta think we drank too much beer and the sun is addlin’ our brains…but…thanks.”

Beautiful chapter, Leslie.  As always.  Thank you!

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2007, 10:11:09 am »
I'll second what C* and Marie said.  :)

I really liked this chapter, but you already knew that  ;).

*sends a prayer of thanks to your muse*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2007, 10:53:59 am »
Hey Leslie, I just wanted to let you know I've been back in your Lazy L world for a while now. I started reading at chapter 15 (or so) and was - again - hooked with it. Thank you for this story  :-*.