Author Topic: Through the Veil of Time  (Read 84868 times)

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
Re: Through the Veil of Time
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2006, 11:58:37 am »
Pete and Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. I am new to this bulletin board thing, it is sorta fun!

Jeff, Ennis made me swear on a stack of bibles that I would never make Crab Mongol again. All I remember is that it had a can of tomato soup, a can of pea soup and a can of crab. Maybe some worcestershire sauce? I served it on rice and Ennis spit it out at the table. That from a man who things fried spam sandwiches are a delicacy!

Pete, thanks for the variations. Turkey is good, I've actually done that. What bad associations have I had with turkey?? And heart healthy, yeah, I know that is something I should worry about but Ennis loves real eggs and I just can't bring myself to use that substitute. Try as I might...

Cabbage, hm, interesting. Ain't ever tried that.

If any of you guys are into dropping hints, the 75th anniversary edition of The Joy of Cooking will be published this year. Might make a good Christmas present for a certain blue-eyed, black haired (well, gray now) cowboy y'all know who lives in Quanah, TX...pass that message along to Ennis, willya?

Your pal,

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2006, 12:05:05 pm »
What bad associations have I had with turkey??

Jack -

That was a maybe too subtle reference to a certain Thanksgivin dinner when a certain party was so rude and obnoxious that you had to threaten to kick his sorry ass into next week - or have you purposely forgotten?

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2006, 12:08:03 pm »
Jack -

Don't mean to be monopolizing this here thread thing, but I just had a great idea!   ;D

I hear you're thinkin about havin a chilie cookoff for your next big anniversary party. . . Maybe you could change that to a porcupine cookoff!   :laugh:

Pete

Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2006, 12:43:51 pm »
Jack -

That was a maybe too subtle reference to a certain Thanksgivin dinner when a certain party was so rude and obnoxious that you had to threaten to kick his sorry ass into next week - or have you purposely forgotten?

Pete

Pete,

You need to remember, there are two versions of the story: the Annie P. version (and the movie) and the TRUE story, which MaineWriter wrote up in ALBFS (and is continuing in the sequel).

The things that happened in the movie/story after the divorce postcard visit never happened in real life. So, neither of us never had those horrible Thanksgivings, I never met Randall and Ennis never met Cassie.

And because of that, I like turkey just fine!

Best,

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2006, 12:49:08 pm »
Jack -

Don't mean to be monopolizing this here thread thing, but I just had a great idea!   ;D

I hear you're thinkin about havin a chilie cookoff for your next big anniversary party. . . Maybe you could change that to a porcupine cookoff!   :laugh:

Pete

We did chili (the party was two months ago...). All those meatballs could be a little overwhelming, don't ya think?

I heard you are going to meet MaineWriter in Boston in a few weeks. You'll like her, she's a terrific gal!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2006, 01:00:28 pm »
Hey Jack!

Pleased to see you over here at BetterMost!  ;)
I'm Lucise, some folks call me Milli.
You won't remember me, but we exchanged a few emails a few months ago.  I was trying to convince you to make it to the Calgary Stampede one year.  Remember?  :)

How is Ennis doing?  Do send him our love, and if he can sign on here as well, it'd be pretty special!  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2006, 01:16:55 pm »
Jeff, Ennis made me swear on a stack of bibles that I would never make Crab Mongol again. All I remember is that it had a can of tomato soup, a can of pea soup and a can of crab. Maybe some worcestershire sauce? I served it on rice and Ennis spit it out at the table. That from a man who things fried spam sandwiches are a delicacy!

Crab Mongol! That's what it was! Can't remember for shit these days. Sounds pretty good to me. Thanks, friend!

Ain't nothin' the matter with fried Spam. It's just pork shoulder and ham. Melt a little cheese on it, use some nice whole-wheat bread--you got you some good eatin'!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2006, 09:02:19 pm »
Oh Jeff...believe or not, I did not rip out the page from the cookbook (I should have) but because you are such a true die hard fan and love the story so much, I give you this:

Joy of Cooking says, "For a perfect luncheon or supper, serve with rice and a salad." Yeah right. Those cookbook authors must be on drugs.

Here it is, in all its awfulness glory.

CRAB MONGOL

4 servings

Combine and heat in a double boiler, over, not in boiling water:

1 can tomato soup
1 can pea soup
1 cup cream
1 cup canned crab (or may substitute lobster meat)

When hot, serve over boiled rice. Garnish with parsley.

Trust me, guaranteed to make your lover go "Blech!"

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2006, 09:05:22 pm »
Hey Jack!

Pleased to see you over here at BetterMost!  ;)
I'm Lucise, some folks call me Milli.
You won't remember me, but we exchanged a few emails a few months ago.  I was trying to convince you to make it to the Calgary Stampede one year.  Remember?  :)

How is Ennis doing?  Do send him our love, and if he can sign on here as well, it'd be pretty special!  ;)

Milli, honey, I do remember you and I appreciated your email. Someday, someday, we'll get to the Calgary Stampede and I want you to be our hostess. Do we have a date?

Getting Ennis to sign on here? Hmm, I don't think so. He is too busy googling the WWW for articles on intimate piercings and gay cowboys. What can I say, he's a wild man but I love 'im to pieces. Always have and always will.

Jack
Lazy L Farm
Quanah TX
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2006, 10:55:22 pm »
Oh Jeff...believe or not, I did not rip out the page from the cookbook (I should have) but because you are such a true die hard fan and love the story so much, I give you this:

Why, thank you, friend, that's right neighborly of you!  ;)

Jeff Wrangler (also known in some circles as Jeff Nasty)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.