Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 187641 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Somebody New (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair) is complete
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 03:14:48 pm »
Just want to let all Somebody New fans know that Jenna is planning a sequel to the story!  :)

The announcement can be found under the LJ community for Somebody New (Helen provided the link above).  Here is a copy of the post.

Schedule for Sequel to Somebody New
Since a few people have asked me, I thought I'd lay out my hopes for writing the sequel to Somebody New. I hate to think that folks might be checking my LJ or the Somebody New Community on a regular basis looking for something new from me. It's better if you have a date in mind!

I am hoping to start writing the sequel to Somebody New,

which will be a novel called Force of Nature, the week of August 13, right after I come back from the Brokeback Backyard Barbecue. I hope to *post* the results from those first writing sessions sometime during the week of August 20, probably later in the week. The first posting will be an introductory, short piece immediately followed by chapter one.

I do hope to post a chapter at a time, or maybe two chapters at a time if the rhythm of the piece demands it, as was sometimes the case for Somebody New. Force of Nature looks to be another substantial novel, although different in pace and tone than SN. I would be surprised if it did not go longer than SN, too. I do have a definite ending for it in mind, along with extensive notes and outlines -- which will undoubtedly change as the story develops. And, I guess I can say that the novel will cover a few months and will start in the summer of 1984, so just a few months after the ending of SN.

There! That's all for now. I can't wait to get back into Jack and Ennis's world again. Thanks so much for your interest!

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 05:05:43 pm »
that is really exciting!! I loved Somebody New and have been looking for an excuse to reread it and now I have one (as if I really needed one anyway...) I also just saw the post about the Somebody New community, I'll have to join... Thanks for the update!!  ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 07:55:00 pm »
JennyC

I love you [                                            this much                                                ]

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 09:21:49 pm »
This really has no bearing on anything, but... I just finished rereading the first chapter of Somebody New and I can't wait to reread the whole thing, I'll probably wind up staying up all night to finish it... man am I obsessed  ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 12:38:12 am »
Welcome to the club Mandy! Somebody New keep me up til 5:30 one morning (more than once  ;) ) I've read it more than once... or twice... or..

O0

Heathen

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 07:12:44 am »
Well, I guess I have to start reading this too then...  ::) Where oh where will I find the time??????

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 08:29:37 am »
Sooooooo I went to bed reaeaeaeaealllly early last night after an especially torturous chiropractic session in the morning and I started reading and.... I really enjoyed it through all the pain that I was experiencing! That's saying something! 

I just hope it doesn't turn out as a soap, seeing that it is over 20 chapters long...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 09:36:23 am »
It doesn't, I didn't think so anyway... I think you'll enjoy it! (I'd say more but, gotta go to work  :-\ )

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 10:55:26 am »
**Slight spoilers for first few chapters**

I just hope it doesn't turn out as a soap, seeing that it is over 20 chapters long...

No it doesn't. It's very, very good throughout, very close to equalling the quality of "If I asked".  It's also interesting to note the difference between Amy's and Jenna's characterization of Jack and Ennis. Amy's boys are 23 years old. Jenna's are close to 40. The two writers do manage to convey that difference in ages just as well as Jake and Heath portrayed it, I think. The younger Jack is much more immediate quicksilver, the younger Ennis slightly more given to demonstrating his "panic" and distress related to his relationship with a man. Older Ennis is better able to hide it although those same feelings are still ruling his life at the outset of the fic and as he works through becoming "somebody new". Their older selves are more considered, more reflected, more deliberate in words and actions - not as jaunty......they demonstrate more life experience in the way they're written, the way they speak, the way they behave.

I think Jenna did an absolutely outstanding job. The scene where Jack quits Ennis and Ennis's subsequent behaviour are so well-written I could just see it happen in front of my eyes. Most subsequent scenes had me on  tenterhooks during the ups and downs of the renewed and developing relationship.  My only gripe about "Somebody New is one OC whose characterization vacillates far too much, IMO, - evidently adapted along the way based on the significant and strong reader feedback Jenna was getting as she was writing.

Jenna's going to write a sequel in a month's time as has been noted here and I'll sure be there.  :)

This one is definitely in my top favourite 3 BBM fics. The other two are Amy's "If I asked" and Jenny's "When the Snow didn't come".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 11:08:56 am by Mikaela »

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 11:08:42 am »
This one is definitely in my top favourite 3 BBM fics. The other two are Amy's "If I asked" and Jenny's "When the Snow didn't come".

Yeah, I liked that last one too (it seems like I have read more stories than I can remember ;)), it was different, a very associative way of writing