Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 188038 times)

retropian

Re: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2009, 09:42:07 am »
Geez, for some reason this story really made me cry this time. I don't remember getting this emotional during my previous readings. I don't know why it's hitting me hard this time. It's just a great story of what might have been. Perhaps I'm mourning for that, and perhaps because I love someone, who's loves someone else, not me. What might have been.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2009, 11:23:27 am »
Geez, for some reason this story really made me cry this time. I don't remember getting this emotional during my previous readings. I don't know why it's hitting me hard this time. It's just a great story of what might have been. Perhaps I'm mourning for that, and perhaps because I love someone, who's loves someone else, not me. What might have been.

Yes I know what you mean. The bit that always brings a lump to my throat is the epilogue especially. I cannot read that without getting a tear in my eye.

It is a fantastic story of what could have been because the way it was written was so beleivable. I loved the scene in the spa when Jack had got his new job at Tulip Feedlots and they were drinking champagne. The bit where he walked in and shouted "honey I,m home"! made me laugh.  :laugh:

What a fantastic writer Jenna is and what a bloody shame she couldn,t finish FON.  :(

retropian

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2009, 02:01:01 am »
Yes I know what you mean. The bit that always brings a lump to my throat is the epilogue especially. I cannot read that without getting a tear in my eye.

It is a fantastic story of what could have been because the way it was written was so beleivable. I loved the scene in the spa when Jack had got his new job at Tulip Feedlots and they were drinking champagne. The bit where he walked in and shouted "honey I,m home"! made me laugh.  :laugh:

What a fantastic writer Jenna is and what a bloody shame she couldn,t finish FON.  :(

I like how Ennis's character remains the same even as he stretches himself for Jack. Ennis becomes more self accepting but still remains Ennis. The processes he goes through is believable to me. It's a process many formally closeted gay men have endured and completed, and that a presumably straight woman can write about that is remarkable to me. I also like how the physicality of their sex parallels Ennis's development. I didn't catch this in previous reading, but the sex progresses in step with Ennis's progress. When Ennis accepts and forgives himself in the act of giving himself to Jack, that made me tear up. In an earlier scene, Ennis penetrates Jack, and can see that it hurts Jack,  moved me too, because it's a symbol of how Jack is willing to take the hurt for Ennis. Anything for Ennis. It is something I enjoy about this fan fiction, and others, in that the sex, while hot, is more about the love, and she expresses that really well.

retropian

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2009, 04:59:19 am »
Hey. I sent a message to Jenna on her live journal account to let her know how much I enjoyed 'Somebody New'. She says hi to everybody at Bettermost. I also asked her tonight how she had planned on ending 'Force of Nature'. I hope she can give a summary of what she planned since she wasn't able to publish the remainder.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2009, 09:27:51 am »
Hey. I sent a message to Jenna on her live journal account to let her know how much I enjoyed 'Somebody New'. She says hi to everybody at Bettermost. I also asked her tonight how she had planned on ending 'Force of Nature'. I hope she can give a summary of what she planned since she wasn't able to publish the remainder.
that´s great Retropian!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2009, 10:46:25 am »
Have you seen this?

it pisses me off

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=330310137270&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1120

OMG!! No I hadn,t seen that!!  :o Now then. As Jenna was ordered to remove her zine from sale, which she did, how come this is allowed? I wonder if AP's legal team know about this?
As for the seller, I can,t beleive they want to sell it! No way in hell am I parting with my copy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:14 am »
OMG!! No I hadn,t seen that!!  :o Now then. As Jenna was ordered to remove her zine from sale, which she did, how come this is allowed? I wonder if AP's legal team know about this?
As for the seller, I can,t beleive they want to sell it! No way in hell am I parting with my copy.
this is so unnecessary. It really draws unwanted attention to fan fiction and the issue of copyright.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2009, 08:32:14 pm »
I'm buying it-hopefully.
 ;D

Heathen

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2009, 09:33:15 am »
I'm buying it-hopefully.
 ;D

well, even though I don´t think people should make money off of fan fiction, I can´t say I wouldn´t want it too ;)
I hope you win it, R