Author Topic: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)  (Read 188120 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Somebody New (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair) is complete
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 07:15:35 pm »
Woohoo!  The update was successfully posted today!  Wow, it really does look long.  I'm glad it's the weekend since this will take lots of reading time.

8)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 07:24:24 pm »
Well, I threw myself at it right away and having just finished the entire chapter I can safely say that this truly was something to look forward to. Great chapter, drawing the reader right in, good build-up and story development, very realistic (no fairy tale being told here!) and getting very intense as the one day/night it covers progresses. Had me at the utmost edge of my seat!

Good to read a chapter from Jack's POV - loved the early part where he's getting introspective about his life and current situation and his relationship with Ennis.

I have to read the whole thing again, and soon.

And now, of course, there are various "What happens now" questions that make me simply yearn for the next chapter.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:32:01 pm by Mikaela »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2006, 09:59:46 am »
Well, I threw myself at it right away and having just finished the entire chapter I can safely say that this truly was something to look forward to. Great chapter, drawing the reader right in, good build-up and story development, very realistic (no fairy tale being told here!) and getting very intense as the one day/night it covers progresses. Had me at the utmost edge of my seat!

Good to read a chapter from Jack's POV - loved the early part where he's getting introspective about his life and current situation and his relationship with Ennis.

I have to read the whole thing again, and soon.

And now, of course, there are various "What happens now" questions that make me simply yearn for the next chapter.

I completley agree with all of this... this chapter was really well done and I really like Jenna's new approach to the story. There were too many good parts in this to pick to comment on!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2006, 11:19:03 pm »
Yup, I tend to think this is some of the strongest writing I've seen in fanfic (I mean this sequel and Somebody New).  I like the idea of shifting points of view around... Alma Jr. at the very beginning, Ennis and now Jack.  It keeps things fresh.  It will be hard to wait for the update (as usual).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

one_of_one

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2006, 12:41:53 pm »
We have a competition going on over on the Somebody New LJ Community - "What's in the Bag?"

Prize for correctly guessing the little extra Jack brought Ennis back from Kansas City :)

Linkee here: http://community.livejournal.com/somebodynew_j4e/21745.html

Guesses are screened, and everyone who guesses correctly will receive a prize from Jenna.  If there are no correct guesses, prize goes to best near guess.

:)  Helen

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2006, 01:02:52 pm »
Yup, I tend to think this is some of the strongest writing I've seen in fanfic (I mean this sequel and Somebody New).  I like the idea of shifting points of view around... Alma Jr. at the very beginning, Ennis and now Jack.  It keeps things fresh.  It will be hard to wait for the update (as usual).

Yes I completly agree with you there. It,s very similar in style to AP,s writing. IMO it deserves the same recognition, I really honestly think it,s that good. My fanzine of SN arrived a couple of days ago. All I can say is, WOW!! :o :o :o  Jenna does work very hard on her writing, it must really take it out of her. I,ve said on LJ and I,ll say it here...I hope FON is published as a fanzine too when it,s finished. It deserves to be. I think the lady is a legend.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2006, 01:27:37 pm »
Just to drop a quick note to let you know that I have changed the title of this thread to include the sequel.  I haven't read the newest (67 pages! :o) chapter yet.  Looking forward to it!

one_of_one

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2006, 02:26:37 pm »
Yes I completly agree with you there. It,s very similar in style to AP,s writing. IMO it deserves the same recognition, I really honestly think it,s that good. My fanzine of SN arrived a couple of days ago. All I can say is, WOW!! :o :o :o  Jenna does work very hard on her writing, it must really take it out of her. I,ve said on LJ and I,ll say it here...I hope FON is published as a fanzine too when it,s finished. It deserves to be. I think the lady is a legend.

Yeah, the zine is AWESOME is it not!  God, the artwork!  My god! 

And the continued quality of Jenna's writing, especially since she is belting out a hell of a lot of words in such a short space of time, is like nothing else.

My one disappointment is that there are so few artists (using whatever medium) in the BBM fandom.  I wish there were more.  Jenna would have liked there to be more art in the zine, I know. We must have some talented souls somewhere!  I mean, there are so many writers around...and the quality there is so hig...where are all the peeps with drawing and painting talents hiding?

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2006, 02:50:32 pm »
Yeah, the zine is AWESOME is it not!  God, the artwork!  My god! 

And the continued quality of Jenna's writing, especially since she is belting out a hell of a lot of words in such a short space of time, is like nothing else.

My one disappointment is that there are so few artists (using whatever medium) in the BBM fandom.  I wish there were more.  Jenna would have liked there to be more art in the zine, I know. We must have some talented souls somewhere!  I mean, there are so many writers around...and the quality there is so hig...where are all the peeps with drawing and painting talents hiding?

Yes the artwork is absolutly AWSOME!! :o :o I agree with you, more would have been nice lol. ;) And yes, she is belting out a hell of a lot in such  a short space of time. She is very dedicated, we are lucky to have her. Oh btw  welcome to Bettermost..I see your fairly new. Enjoy your stay. :) :)

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: "Somebody New" and Sequel "Force of Nature" (by Jenna Hilary Sinclair)
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2006, 06:24:56 pm »

-very busy, catching up to read that amount of incredibly written fanfiction. ;)