Author Topic: Where did you learn about BetterMost?  (Read 26807 times)

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
Re: Where did you learn about BetterMost?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2006, 12:26:37 am »
Hello all,
I heard about Bettermost from Annie Proulx's website [url][http://www.annieproulx.com//url]
from a post sent from Phil  :),
Cheers,
Stripey
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2006, 01:52:08 am »
Hello all,
I heard about Bettermost from Annie Proulx's website

Welcome aboard...Stripey!!  You'll like it here  :)  You've got some great folks here...we're glad to have ya!!!

Hugggs....Nancy  :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline skippydevereaux

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 05:43:31 pm »
I was wondering about the name of the baked beans in Brokeback Mountain, wondering if the name of the bean was real or fake and went to Google, typed in "Baked Beans, Brokeback Mountain" and then went to the images and up popped the little picture of the BetterMost Beans!! So, from there, I came here!! Would LOVE to have one of those bean labels like in the movie. I would wrap it around an actual can of baked beans and keep it on the shelf!! haha.

horo04

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2006, 03:39:55 am »
I actually stumbled upon it looking for Brokeback stuff in Google search.  I use to go on Dave Cullen's site but is just too cluttered.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2006, 08:15:52 pm »
Hello all,
I heard about Bettermost from Annie Proulx's website [url][http://www.annieproulx.com//url]
from a post sent from Phil  :),

That post got removed BTW by the moderator who felt this was a commercial website raking in the dough (because we have some ads) and I was spamming the forum.  Oh well.  BTW, I don't think this site will ever make more than I shell out for this and BBM Radio.  :)
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2006, 08:17:46 pm »
I was wondering about the name of the baked beans in Brokeback Mountain, wondering if the name of the bean was real or fake and went to Google, typed in "Baked Beans, Brokeback Mountain" and then went to the images and up popped the little picture of the BetterMost Beans!! So, from there, I came here!! Would LOVE to have one of those bean labels like in the movie. I would wrap it around an actual can of baked beans and keep it on the shelf!! haha.

This site name came from the fact I couldn't get sued for using it - Hollywood studios have gotten very fussy about what you use as a site/domain name.  I was originally going to call this site beyondbrokebackmountain.com (and the domain is registered for it), but considering past history, there was every chance I'd get a cease-and-desist letter for using the name of the film in a domain name.  It's happened many times before.

Welcome aboard BTW.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2006, 08:19:14 pm »
I actually stumbled upon it looking for Brokeback stuff in Google search.  I use to go on Dave Cullen's site but is just too cluttered.

Yes, we're slowly climbing the Google results engine listing.  The more places that link to us, the higher the results will go.  We're probably going to be the small town-style site for a long time to come, at least until people stop dwelling on the movie and the fan sites start to quiet down.  Since this is designed to carry forward beyond the film, hopefully we'll see less of that.

Offline rob

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
Great to find the site- love the radio mix playing in the background while I write and read.  It's a perfect fit and a wonderful idea!  I found the site through a posting over at the brokeback-mountain yahoo group [BBM].  Quite an active little bunch we are over there.  I prefer the intimacy of a smaller site like this and [BBM].  Not to diminish its importance but Cullen's is just so overwhelming now.  However, any site, any outlet that gets people thinking, reacting and learning from this great work, is worthwhile in my books.

I first saw BBM at the Toronto Film Festival, where our two boys first met their public and first read Ms. Proulx's story some seven-odd years ago.  I was looking forward to the possibility of a screen version, with doubts it would ever come to light, since Gus Van Zandt was shopping it around.  'Can't say enough how profoundly this story and film have affected how I now view life.  The whole idea and importance of 'seizing the day' and treasuring what we've got.  Anyhow, thanks for setting it up, Phillip!  I look forward to exploring and sharing in it!

Rob
Toronto

P.S.:  I try to reference "Better Most Beans" at the drop of a hat.  Love it.  'Wish they were real.  I'd be a spokesperson for sure! 'Gotta love Ang and his penchant for vintage-type labels!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2006, 12:34:50 am »
Great to find the site- love the radio mix playing in the background while I write and read.  It's a perfect fit and a wonderful idea!  I found the site through a posting over at the brokeback-mountain yahoo group [BBM].  Quite an active little bunch we are over there.  I prefer the intimacy of a smaller site like this and [BBM].  Not to diminish its importance but Cullen's is just so overwhelming now.  However, any site, any outlet that gets people thinking, reacting and learning from this great work, is worthwhile in my books.

Welcome to our small town-style forum.  :)

I am a bit behind in updating the playlist for BBM Radio.  I am considering expanding it if there is support from the users.  Right now it runs around $13 a month for 3.5 hours of music.  If I upgrade to the $25-30 package, I get around 10 hours of space which means more music.  I am definitely going to recruit some volunteer "assistant DJs" to help me build the thing down the road.

Please feel free to jump into any/all discussions.  A lot of the messages here often are two people talking back and forth, but that's only because a lot of our lurkers haven't joined the conversation.  We're all a family around here and we welcome everyone's input!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2006, 05:04:58 am »
Would LOVE to have one of those bean labels like in the movie. I would wrap it around an actual can of baked beans and keep it on the shelf!! haha.

I know someone who did that. 

Here's my first post and introduction - I remember when Phillip posted about 6 weeks ago on the IMDb BBM board.  It sounded good, but I was happily ensconced over there.  Now there's been recent unpleasant troll activity over there, and I'm looking for a new, safe home. 

I'm a Brokie, have seen the movie a bunch of times (most recently for a while on my laptop in the front seat of my car this afternoon while waiting for someone), and want to be among like-interested, warm people.  I had that til the troll yuckiness started at IMDb.  Now I'm a refugee.

An update 6 months later - I cannot believe I didn't say that Celeste found us this lovely refuge.  She and I and several others worked hard to invite people over from IMDb, checking with each other - "Did you invite so and so?"

I love it here more than ever.  Thank you for our home, Phillip.

Clarissa
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:46:10 am by Ellemeno »