Author Topic: The Laundry Room  (Read 114365 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The laundry
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2008, 01:41:40 am »
I'm glad you're visiting my launderette tonite. Welcome!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2008, 01:18:20 pm »
Welcome to my beautiful laundrette! Altho I'm sure Alma didn't think that way about it.

Yeah, but in a museum job that I worked at for several years, I tried doing laundry the old-fashioned way a few times, and always think of that in the scene where you see Alma scrubbing clothes on a washboard. Even if she didn't have to build a fire to heat water and then agitate the clothes by hand, like in pioneer days, I can really appreciate the appeal that living over a laundromat would have.   ;D  Not to mention Wyoming having such a cold climate; their apartment would have been that much more cozy in the winter.

Would love to stay in that place someday, if they ever decide to rent it out by the night!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2008, 09:43:12 pm »
This is waaaayyy OT, so I'm only posting a link. But here is an essay from the Iowa Review called Laundry, which explores the task of doing laundry and its larger metaphoric meanings. I liked it, and I thought others might possibly find it interesting.

http://www.uiowa.edu/%7Eiareview/mainpages/stanton.html

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2008, 11:48:44 pm »
This is waaaayyy OT, so I'm only posting a link. But here is an essay from the Iowa Review called Laundry, which explores the task of doing laundry and its larger metaphoric meanings. I liked it, and I thought others might possibly find it interesting.

http://www.uiowa.edu/%7Eiareview/mainpages/stanton.html

;D I like the idea of bring outside resources/reference materials to these discussions Bud.  And, it's nice and reassuring to know that Brokies aren't the only ones who feel that laundry can have deep metaphorical significance.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2008, 12:04:57 am »
;D I like the idea of bring outside resources/reference materials to these discussions Bud.  And, it's nice and reassuring to know that Brokies aren't the only ones who feel that laundry can have deep metaphorical significance.

I definitely agree! Our matriarch Annie Proulx does this all the time...cites many sources of inspiration, including history, art, poetry, and Hamley's Ranch Catalogue!

Yes, I love laundry and all its allusions. In fact, in my laundry room I have a series of photographs on the wall which I took years ago. I used to go into people's laundry rooms and poke around and take pictures. I found all that stuff amazing!! THere's also some needlepoint that my mother made for me hanging over the washer. It says, "Please don't do my laundry" LOL!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2008, 06:53:48 am »
Yes, I love laundry and all its allusions. In fact, in my laundry room I have a series of photographs on the wall which I took years ago. I used to go into people's laundry rooms and poke around and take pictures. I found all that stuff amazing!! THere's also some needlepoint that my mother made for me hanging over the washer. It says, "Please don't do my laundry" LOL!

My first thought was: no way I would let you take pictures of my collected laundry mess. And then the sentence in blue: don't do my laundry! How true. My mother-in-law sometimes uses the chance to dive into my dirty laundry when she is at our house and I'm not there. I hate it! She knows it, I've made it cristal clear (and I'm not the shy type). But I guess that's just a typical mother-in-law thing to do: being annoying from time to time  :laugh:.

I just wanted to point out what an intimate thing doing the laundry for someone else is, but then I noticed I pointed out exactly the same thought already two years ago  ::).  Guess I better go and reread the whole thread before I repeat the same ole stuff.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:38 am »
In fact, in my laundry room I have a series of photographs on the wall which I took years ago. I used to go into people's laundry rooms and poke around and take pictures.

Good idea for a photo project, FRiend. When I went to italy last fall with a group of old friends, one woman in the group made a project of photographing laundry hanging from lines, suspended between those beautiful old buildings. She got some really interesting images.

Guess I better go and reread the whole thread before I repeat the same ole stuff.

If we had to worry about that, I'd spend weeks just doing the back-reading! ;D

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2008, 11:46:17 am »
Well I've not read the whole thread (read bits and skim-read through others) and I've not been here that long, but I'm finding it fascinating reading about all the different symbolisms in the film (and in the story - though it's a while since I read the story - I really need to read it again), and while I'd spotted various bits of symbolism, I'd not noticed the laundry one, though now thinking about the film again I see it. Fascinating thread.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2008, 01:04:26 pm »
I've skimmed through the article K linked. I found it a fascinating read, but was too impatient to read it thoroughly right now. Anyway, two quotes from it:

In television commercials for laundry detergent, the housewife sensually presses her face into a soft, warm, fragrant, fluffy towel which, along with a tidy bowl, signifies her success as a wife and mother, as a woman, her love for her family. Laundry signifies love."

Yup, we've all seen this image countless times in different variations. This is exactly what Ennis does with Alma Junior's sweater after she left. The way he cares tenderly about a piece of clothing shows his love for its owner. The fact that it's not freshly washed, but still carries her scent, makes it even more poignant, IMO.

"When the ritual [of doing the laundry] is over, our clothes are clean and folded, and a kind of lesser order is restored. Dirt is gone; life starts anew. The bodies we put into these fresh clothes may do something different this time around."

I think this is a very interesting thought. New chances. We haven't discussed this aspect of doing laundry yet. When Jack does the laundry naked after TS1, something new starts. Before they had been friends, but now they are also lovers, a new part of their relationship begins.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2008, 01:52:53 pm »
"When the ritual [of doing the laundry] is over, our clothes are clean and folded, and a kind of lesser order is restored. Dirt is gone; life starts anew. The bodies we put into these fresh clothes may do something different this time around."

I think this is a very interesting thought. New chances. We haven't discussed this aspect of doing laundry yet. When Jack does the laundry naked after TS1, something new starts. Before they had been friends, but now they are also lovers, a new part of their relationship begins.

Good point, Bud, and way to connect the outside resource with the discussion of BBM!