Author Topic: Why did Mrs. Twist (Jack's mother) and MrTwist (his father) let Ennis have shirt  (Read 10653 times)

Offline loreen

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • It's alright...
    • http://loreent.livejournal.com/
I think she was waiting for someone to come and pick them up. I think Mrs Twist sending Ennis up to Jack's room was a test of sorts. Kinda like "if you're the right person, if you're the One, then you'll recognise the shirts."

I don't think Mr Twist knew about the shirts. Even if he would have seen them, I don't think he would have understood their significance

I often think about what happened to those shirts after Ennis died. They are the last proof of what Ennis and Jack had together. I sure hope they weren't thrown away.

Oh dear! I never thought of it in this way - If Ennis was the one. The one who made her son keep blood stained shirts for almost 20 years... This is so moving.

And I can see that now - maybe she really wanted him to see the shirts and to give her a sign- was he the one her son loved the most! Lovely lady!

As for the John Twist, I think that he couldn't care less. Two shirts? What shirts? He just wanted to show a final disrespect towards his son and bury his ashes in the family plot, and that's all. He didn't care for Jack or shirts. Otherwise, he'd let Ennis take jack's ashes to Brokeback.  :'(

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
I wonder if Randall ever visited the Twists. But Mr Twist would probably have said something about it, if he had. Another thing to throw in Ennis´s face.

But I kinda like the idea and how Mrs Twist would have known that Randall wasn´t the One because he didn´t take the shirts with him.

Offline loreen

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • It's alright...
I wonder if Randall ever visited the Twists. But Mr Twist would probably have said something about it, if he had. Another thing to throw in Ennis's face.

But I kinda like the idea and how Mrs Twist would have known that Randall wasn't the One because he didn't take the shirts with him.

IMO Randall was too dandy to go to LF!! He meant very little to Jack, and Jack's mother and father knew that, as Jack was talking about Ennis Del Mar for years.

I believe that mentioning Randall in front of his parents was an act of despair, not of real affection for Randall or even a slightest possibility that he would come to live in LF!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
as Jack was talking about Ennis Del Mar for years.

Exactly. It was Ennis Jack kept talking about all those years.

I don't think sending Ennis upstairs was a kind of test for Ennis from Mrs. Twist, along the lines of "If you're the right one, you'll find the shirts"

I think she sent him deliberately upstairs because she knew he was the one and she wanted him to find the shirts.

Offline loreen

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • It's alright...

I think she sent him deliberately upstairs because she knew he was the one and she wanted him to find the shirts.

Yes, that could most probably be the truth!

Until this thread I never had the idea that sending Ennis to Jack's room is directly connected with the shirts, but it surely make sense. And it is so moving! Especially the love and understanding of Jack's Ma towards their forbidden love ...  :'(

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight

Until this thread I never had the idea that sending Ennis to Jack's room is directly connected with the shirts, but it surely make sense.
Yeah, especially considering how unsurprised she seems to be that he wants to take the shirts with him.
If she had no idea of the shirts importance, it seems to me, she would have thought it a bit..weird that this guy comes along and wants two old, bloody shirts.

Offline Artiste

You say:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Artiste, From my perspective I dont think Mr Twist saw Ennis bag the shirt.
Mrs Twist, well I think she let Ennis have it cause she saw his love for Jack.

TampaTalon           

I say: din't Mr. Twist love Jack too?

Or he would not have let Ennis have that bag?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

Exactly. It was Ennis Jack kept talking about all those years.

I don't think sending Ennis upstairs was a kind of test for Ennis from Mrs. Twist, along the lines of "If you're the right one, you'll find the shirts"

I agree completely. Jack visited his parents right after the summer on Brokeback Mountain and he confided in them. When Ennis said he'd be proud to take the ashes up to Brokeback Mountain, those were the words Mrs. Twist was looking for. And conversely, Mr. Twist was NOT looking for, as he replied in a hateful tone of voice, "I know where Brokeback Mountain is."

I would also have to say that, no, Mr. Twist did not love his son Jack. No loving parent would treat their child the way he did or talk about him that way, especially after he was deceased and unable to defend himself.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Merci Loreen:
         I believe that mentioning Randall in front of his parents was an act of despair, not of real affection for Randall or even a slightest possibility that he would come to live in LF!                       

Loreen, I think you are right.

May I ask to you and to all:
Did you ever think that Jack's wife was a lesbian, and that would colour Jack's life?

Offline Artiste

Merci Front-Ranger !

Can you consider the contrary that Mr. Twist loved or like Jack?

You say:
     I agree completely. Jack visited his parents right after the summer on Brokeback Mountain and he confided in them. When Ennis said he'd be proud to take the ashes up to Brokeback Mountain, those were the words Mrs. Twist was looking for. And conversely, Mr. Twist was NOT looking for, as he replied in a hateful tone of voice, "I know where Brokeback Mountain is."

I would also have to say that, no, Mr. Twist did not love his son Jack. No loving parent would treat their child the way he did or talk about him that way, especially after he was deceased and unable to defend himself. 

Somehow, maybe we can think of what happens, how one feels, after someone dies ?? The STAGES of grief??