Author Topic: Anyone see 'Superman'? What did you think? **SPOILER THREAD**  (Read 10629 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: Anyone see 'Superman'? What did you think? **SPOILER THREAD**
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 08:51:42 pm »
Yeah, that's right, I'm a lecherous old horndog.  And if he IS gay, all the better---   that way, when I meet him  ::) and he turns down my advances, it won't be because I'm an overweight woman old enough to be his mother, it will simply be because he has a preference for men.   ;D  See?  Ego intact.  (Ha!) 

Gotta love a healthy lashing of good ole fashioned denial, hunh?!?!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God this made me laugh. 

And good on you for swindling the posters! Gawd, the crew at my local cinemas are so tight that I could stand in front of the Superman Returns display groping the cardboard and licking Brandon's face and all they'd do is politely ask me to leave and never return!  :-\

As a matter of fact, its a life-size display and what do I have to lose, really??  :P

*gets tongue ready*
 ;D
Chut up!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 04:52:39 am »

Just as a bit of an update... apparently the (heavenly) Man of Steel is NOT gay..

Check out this link for the best phwwoooooaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr you'll have all day..  ;D

http://www.welovebrandonrouth.com/

If you scroll down, there's Q & A with links to other pages, there's one question there that asks "Is Brandon Routh gay?" with the answer in brackets beside it.

*leaps away from computer* don't wanna go tripping over your tongues now....
Chut up!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 04:53:37 am »

btw, i CANNOT believe this film was shot in MY country and i never snuck down to Sydney for a perv..  Honestly, i'm losing my touch in my old age...  ::)
Chut up!

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 02:53:59 am »
btw, i CANNOT believe this film was shot in MY country and i never snuck down to Sydney for a perv..  Honestly, i'm losing my touch in my old age...  ::)

Sheyne!  I think I seriously need some lessons in Australian vernacular!  'snuck down to Sydney for a perv.?  What does this mean?!   ???  (I want one too!  Gimme one of those  ;D)

And also----- 

And good on you for swindling the posters! 

This MUST mean something different to you.....right?!?  (Say YES!  :D )  Here, swindling means 'obtaining money or property through fraud or deceit', which....well...  isn't how I got those posters... that young man offered them to me, I didn't even know he had them!  Just didn't want to go around with a big red ' S' on my chest....for 'Swindler'!   Ah-h....who cares...  I just love looking at Brandon--  glad to find someone else who appreciates him too!  I haven't seen him all that much yet (never enough....  um....) but he seems to have the 'likeable' and 'approachable' qualities like our Mr. J.G. (You do remember him....don't you?  Don't you?  SHEYNE!  :laugh: )

Keep posting more Brandon pictures, for those of us who appreciate a fine lookin'....  Iowan/ alien.   ;)
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 10:15:08 am »
Sheyne!  I think I seriously need some lessons in Australian vernacular!  'snuck down to Sydney for a perv.?  What does this mean?!   ???  (I want one too!  Gimme one of those  ;D)

Hehe.. sorry luv, yes, I keep forgetting how much of my Aussie slang gets through - i try to be careful with what I say cause - well - case in point - check it out... confusion...

Australian: "snuck down to Sydney for a perv"
Rest of the World: "travel a great distance to admire and lust after"

In other words, perv means to admire, either covertly or overtly. In Brandon's case, I couldn't do anything about my tongue if I saw him in person.. Man, I'd be tripping on it.

This MUST mean something different to you.....right?!?  (Say YES!  :D )  Here, swindling means 'obtaining money or property through fraud or deceit', which....well...  isn't how I got those posters...

Again, my screwed up national slang...  We're more relaxed about the use of the word "swindle" here. We know what it means, but if you "swindle" anybody, it just means you've managed to obtain anything you didn't have to pay for.  ie - "i swindled myself a drink at the bar" means "some guy just bought me a drink" etc.

I just love looking at Brandon--  glad to find someone else who appreciates him too!  I haven't seen him all that much yet (never enough....  um....) but he seems to have the 'likeable' and 'approachable' qualities like our Mr. J.G. (You do remember him....don't you?  Don't you?  SHEYNE!  :laugh: )

I just luuuuurve looking at Brandon.. What a BABE.  But then, i did have SUCH a thing for Chris Reeves as a kid when the original came out. So its like having that old crush back but so much better.  Buffer, younger, could go on forever..  ;D

Jake? *scratches head* Jake.. Jake...   

*ducks onslaught of tomatoes*

I could never forget. This Brandon "thing" is a silly, transient crush... I'll be back to obsessing about JG in NO time..  :laugh:
Chut up!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 06:47:41 pm »
Just as a bit of an update... apparently the (heavenly) Man of Steel is NOT gay..

Check out this link for the best phwwoooooaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr you'll have all day..  ;D

http://www.welovebrandonrouth.com/

If you scroll down, there's Q & A with links to other pages, there's one question there that asks "Is Brandon Routh gay?" with the answer in brackets beside it.

*leaps away from computer* don't wanna go tripping over your tongues now....

[whew!]  Sheyne Ya gotta give a girl some warning.  I clicked on the link and instantly got shirtless Brandon and Brandon in his tightie underwear and about had a coronary.

As for him being gay...well we're right back where we started.

rtprod says Brandon and Kevin Spacey are gay.  Fansites and Brandon himself  - at least once - says he is not...but then of course, the fansites WOULD deny it, wouldn't they?  Unless the guy had balls of brass and was out?

Dating girls isn't proof of anything as we all know - BBM fans more than anyone.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 07:02:39 pm »

Very true Del.  The guy has a lot to lose if he was to come out. For starters, openly gay men never play the leading man. And Superman is as much a leading man as Rick Blaine from Casablanca.  Gay men don't get that part. And Brandon's about to become a big star through this part.

Yeah, rt told me about him being gay too.. which made me throw my hands up in the air.. i felt a bit like Joan Cusack from "In and Out" "is EVERYBODY gay?!?!!?!"  :-\

And as for shirtless Brandon... sorry for the near-cardiac-arrest thing, mate, but uhhh, if one HAD to drop dead, that would surely be a nice death????:P

I can see your death certificate now:

Cause of Death: shirtless Superman.  :D
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 06:19:52 pm »
I thought the movie was pretty good, within its genre of course. So it seems that we are going to have Superman movies for quite some time. Superman and superboy!  ;D Well, jokes asides, I loved the movie though not Kate Bosworth's performance. She's a bit annoying IMO but prettier than Margot Kidder.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 09:08:37 am »
I was disappointed overall.  The only performance I thoroughly enjoyed in the whole damned thing was Parker Posey's.  She nailed it.  For what it's worth.  In fact, I found myself wishing that she (or Zooey Deschanel or someone - anyone - with a soul and a lick of wit) had been cast as Lois instead.  Kate Bosworth is a pretty girl, but she's got about the personality of a turnip.  There was no spark of eccentric charm like Margot Kidder had - no spark of anything.  And while Brandon Routh is a beautiful human being, I don't think he quite got the humor of Clark Kent or the irony of Superman.  Christopher Reeve was a comic genius, really.  I didn't realize that the first time I ever saw his Superman because he was just so damned good I didn't even think about it.  But TNT happened to be showing his Superman the same night I saw this one, and the superiority of all of it to this one just blew my mind.  And I'm sorry, but for my money, Gene Hackman is the only Lex Luther, too.  I used to adore Kevin Spacey, but I just find him WAY over the top in everything he's done over the last few years.  It's like he got that second Oscar and forgot how to act.  At least with subtlety.

As I've said before, I'm also biased because I really think Jake would have done Superman right.  He would have gotten the humor and the irony and pulled it all off.  So I was probably judging Brandon pretty harshly - I mean, how can you possibly live up to Christopher Reeve AND Jake?  Putting all that aside, I liked the parts of it whenever Parker Posey was on the screen.  And the special effects were of course outstanding.  But if I wanna see stuff blow up, I can just watch the nightly news.

(My apologies in advance for being particularly peckish today - I just can't shake the irritation I feel at giving away three hours of my life, and that's not including travel time, for this movie.)
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 06:09:04 pm »
I was disappointed overall.  The only performance I thoroughly enjoyed in the whole damned thing was Parker Posey's.  She nailed it.  For what it's worth.

You know, soooo many people say this...I must be the only person who thought she was wasted in this role and she pretty much could have phoned in the role or been omitted from the entire movie as a character she was so useless.  Lex is surprisingly kind and considerate of her - when he's not being a psycho.  But you never see them exchange any affection or lounge in bed.  What did she really do?

In fact, I found myself wishing that she (or Zooey Deschanel or someone - anyone - with a soul and a lick of wit) had been cast as Lois instead.  Kate Bosworth is a pretty girl, but she's got about the personality of a turnip.  There was no spark of eccentric charm like Margot Kidder had - no spark of anything.

I didn't like Bosworth personally.  Her character had to do some outlandish things to keep in the plot (I know of no real responsible mother who would have put her child in danger like Lois did).  But a friend of mine who used to be a reporter/Metro editor with our major newspaper actually loved Bosworth and identified with her in her role completely.

Go figure.