Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100684 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2008, 04:49:14 pm »
You three are so cute!

and by the way, we've really taken the thread off topic!   :laugh:

That's for sure. I didn't see a single expression I hated on the whole page!

Oops, scratch that. I hate "That's for sure."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:59 pm »
Well, true with blemishes, but I get them, and find that if I really take care of them with a skin treatment at night, they are very minimized during the day, and not an issue.

Lucky for you!  :)

I think that's a trap we've (as a society) put women into....."Oh, are you feeling bad?  Get a new hairdo!  It will change your outlook!"

Well, sometimes it does! But you have a point -- it can be used to distract from the real problems.

Edit:

Views on this issue must really "travel" with gender, because with equal honesty and sincerity I'd say there are many more attractive men than women. Of all ages, shapes, and sizes. Every time I go out on the streets of Philadelphia I see someone, man or "boy."

I figured someone here might say that.

I should emphasize that the attractive women aren't attractive to me in a sexual sense, just an aesthetic sense. And men don't "have" to be as physically attractive to be sexually successful. That's a whole nother part of this issue.

Oh, I hate the expression "whole nother" something. There! I'm on topic!  ;D

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2008, 04:55:19 pm »

Not unless I get a transplant, and after seeing how they're done, I'd rather be bald.   :laugh:

I always say, if even Elton John, with all his millions, can't get hair that doesn't look fake, then there's no hope for me!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2008, 05:00:36 pm »

I should emphasize that the attractive women aren't attractive to me in a sexual sense, just an aesthetic sense. And men don't "have" to be as physically attractive to be sexually successful. That's a whole nother part of this issue.

Oh, I hate the expression "whole nother" something. There! I'm on topic!  ;D

I understood you meant that aesthetically, and I, for one, have reached the stage where I don't have to imagine every attractive man or boy I meet as a potential sex partner, either. Sometimes it just gladdens the heart to see a happy, smiling, attractive young man.

And shouldn't that be "whole 'nother"?  ;D

Now I think I need to go get my hair done; it will make me feel better. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2008, 05:03:42 pm »
Sometimes it just gladdens the heart to see a happy, smiling, attractive young man.

Yup, I'd agree with that!

And shouldn't that be "whole 'nother"?  ;D

Sure enough, but blame Annie Proulx for that one. I gave up on apostrophes here on BetterMost about the same time I started spelling it "hunh."  ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:47 pm »

Not unless I get a transplant, and after seeing how they're done, I'd rather be bald.   :laugh:

I'll join that queue!  :laugh:

I'm what's called "blokey" here in Australia, when it comes to fashion.  Let me give you an idea of what I mean by that:

* I have a couple of black business suits for work. When one wears out, I buy another black business suit.

* I have 10 pastel business shirts for work. As each one wears out, I replace it with more pastel business shirts.

* I have a collection of silk ties for work, which I've been wearing for years.

* I have a couple of pairs of black business shoes which I replace with yet more black business shoes when they wear out.

* For years I have worn the same style black underwear and black socks. When I need more, I know exactly what I want. No need to shop around. I replace them in one job-lot of 10 new pairs of black underpants and 10 new pairs of black socks. I'm in and out of that store in 5 minutes flat!  :D

* I used to have a moustache for some 20 years. I was comfortable with it and it with me. Saw no need to change it. One morning, a couple of years ago, I shaved it off on a whim. Now I'm just as happy without the mo and probably will be for at least the next 20 years.

* I've worn my hair in the same style for most of my life, not that there's much remaining these days. Can't see any reason to change it.

Yep, definitely blokey!  ;)   :laugh:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2008, 10:12:11 pm »
I'll join that queue!  :laugh:

I'm what's called "blokey" here in Australia, when it comes to fashion.  Let me give you an idea of what I mean by that:

* I have a couple of black business suits for work. When one wears out, I buy another black business suit.

* I have 10 pastel business shirts for work. As each one wears out, I replace it with more pastel business shirts.

* I have a collection of silk ties for work, which I've been wearing for years.

* I have a couple of pairs of black business shoes which I replace with yet more black business shoes when they wear out.

* For years I have worn the same style black underwear and black socks. When I need more, I know exactly what I want. No need to shop around. I replace them in one job-lot of 10 new pairs of black underpants and 10 new pairs of black socks. I'm in and out of that store in 5 minutes flat!  :D

* I used to have a moustache for some 20 years. I was comfortable with it and it with me. Saw no need to change it. One morning, a couple of years ago, I shaved it off on a whim. Now I'm just as happy without the mo and probably will be for at least the next 20 years.

* I've worn my hair in the same style for most of my life, not that there's much remaining these days. Can't see any reason to change it.

Yep, definitely blokey!  ;)   :laugh:

Blokey?  I'd say more like psycho-ey, and what do you do with the bodies?  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2008, 10:43:41 pm »
"The kids were finally being have" (long a) for "they were finally behaving."

I don't hate it--it's a regional thing, I guess. But I heard a salesperson say it this week and I thought about how---everyone knows what it means, but it isn't being used properly. Anyone else hear it in their area?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #278 on: December 16, 2008, 10:50:10 pm »

I don't hate it--it's a regional thing, I guess. But I heard a salesperson say it this week and I thought about how---everyone knows what it means, but it isn't being used properly. Anyone else hear it in their area?

around here, people will say (which drives me NUTS) "We have to conversate!"

One time, I turned to the person and said, "There's no such word as "conversate"!  You can have a conversation, or you can converse. 

::)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #279 on: December 16, 2008, 10:53:18 pm »

I'm trying to think of whether there's any way that might have made sense in some archaic usage, which maybe could have been the original derivation of the word "behave." Like the way "ain't" was originally a perfectly acceptable contraction of "(I) am not" until people started using it incorrectly with other pronouns and grammarians turned against it.

I ain't coming coming up with anything for "being have," though.