Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 99006 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #280 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:36 pm »

around here, people will say (which drives me NUTS) "We have to conversate!"

One time, I turned to the person and said, "There's no such word as "conversate"!  You can have a conversation, or you can converse. 

::)

Conversate? Hey, I think I kinda like that one!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #281 on: December 16, 2008, 11:02:08 pm »
I ain't coming coming up with anything for "being have," though.

I wonder whether that's related to "ax." You know, as in, "Let me ax you a question."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #282 on: December 16, 2008, 11:14:05 pm »
I wonder whether that's related to "ax." You know, as in, "Let me ax you a question."

Maybe. I always figured that was just kind of careless pronunciation, but ...

Because they say that a lot in New Orleans, I was going to jump from there to a discussion of all the New Orleans expressions that are weird ("making groceries" instead of "grocery shopping," "neutral ground" for "median," "earl" for "oil" and "oil" for "earl," "when I was coming up" for "growing up" -- there's a ton of them) but then I remembered another kind of expression I hate. I hate cutesy names for cities that get way overused, such as "The Big Apple," "The Big Easy," etc.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #283 on: December 16, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »
Maybe. I always figured that was just kind of careless pronunciation, but ...

Because they say that a lot in New Orleans, I was going to jump from there to a discussion of all the New Orleans expressions that are weird ("making groceries" instead of "grocery shopping," "neutral ground" for "median," "earl" for "oil" and "oil" for "earl," "when I was coming up" for "growing up" -- there's a ton of them) but then I remembered another kind of expression I hate. I hate cutesy names for cities that get way overused, such as "The Big Apple," "The Big Easy," etc.

They say "ax" (or, perhaps, "aks") for "ask" in NOLA? I remember reading something about the "aks" pronunciation for "ask" years ago, in the midst of the Ebonics controversy. Remember that?

Well, I guess a media is sort of "neutral ground," between two or more lanes of traffic. And didn't Archie Bunker say "earl" for "oil"? Or was it just "terlit" for "toilet"?  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2008, 11:33:28 pm »
They say "ax" (or, perhaps, "aks") for "ask" in NOLA? I remember reading something about the "aks" pronunciation for "ask" years ago, in the midst of the Ebonics controversy. Remember that?

Yes. Well, they use a lot of Ebonics in NOLA.

Well, I guess a media is sort of "neutral ground," between two or more lanes of traffic.

There's a more literal meaning in this case, dating back from when the city was half English and half Spanish, and Canal Street, with its particularly wide median, ran between them.

And didn't Archie Bunker say "earl" for "oil"? Or was it just "terlit" for "toilet"?  ;D

Yeah, he did say those things. (and "Goils were goils and men were men ...") New Orleans and certain parts of New York share an eerily similar accent, I guess because of similar immigration patterns.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2008, 11:38:05 pm »
New Orleans and certain parts of New York share an eerily similar accent, I guess because of similar immigration patterns.

Same goes for parts of Philadelphia and New York.

injest

« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2008, 12:36:16 am »
Well, true with blemishes, but I get them, and find that if I really take care of them with a skin treatment at night, they are very minimized during the day, and not an issue.

I just can't imagine my husband putting on acne medicine...he washes his face with a paper towel if he feels he needs it when he comes in...otherwise, he waits for the shower. what does he care if he gets a blemish? the cows will still like him, I will still like him and the guys down at the feed store and local cafe dont' care. It is just not something he thinks about.

but if we are going out his jeans better be pressed that's all I'm sayin' about that! (and he might SAY he doesn't...but he puts some thought in his shirts...in his narrow, gotta be a button down, not wild colored, long sleeve way....)

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2008, 06:25:05 am »

I hate cutesy names for cities that get way overused, such as "The Big Apple," "The Big Easy," etc.

How about - and this one is even yucky for me to type - "Frisco?"

I do enjoy "Left Coast" though.

Oh, here's one I've loathed since I was a whippersnapper:  "lady" this or that.  "Lady doctor," for example.  It's not used much anymore, but oy.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2008, 10:20:34 am »
Oh, here's one I've loathed since I was a whippersnapper:  "lady" this or that.  "Lady doctor," for example.  It's not used much anymore, but oy.

Or the flip side: "Male nurse." I bet male nurses hate that one.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2008, 10:33:07 am »

How about - and this one is even yucky for me to type - "Frisco?"

I do enjoy "Left Coast" though.

"Left Coast" always makes me smile.  :)

I haven't heard "Frisco" in a long time. These days I usually hear "San Fran," which always makes me think of somebody's Aunt Fran. ...