Author Topic: How Did Ennis Vote?  (Read 11145 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How Did Ennis Vote?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 05:44:22 pm »
Could Ennis have voted for BOTH parties?

Not for the same office in the same election.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 06:01:43 pm »
"How Did Ennis Vote?" or Jack or Alma or Lureen, etc?

I am curious why is this (ese) question(s) interesting?  ???

I have read some interesting speculations on this thread, but the reasons for the question interests me far more than the answer.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 06:31:31 pm »
I have read some interesting speculations on this thread, but the reasons for the question interests me far more than the answer.

Seems like you answer your own question -- it's fun to speculate. The forum is full of these sorts of threads.

Personally, I'm not super fond of really far-reaching speculation: "If Ennis had accepted Jack's offer and they had gone to help out at the Twist ranch, would they have lived in the same house with the Twists and eaten their meals with them, and who would have done the dishes?" That kind of thing. For me, there's just not enough to go on to form sound opinions.

But as you see, there ARE some jumping-off points for speculation about Ennis' politics. And they're interesting for what they reveal about the movie and about Brokies' own ideas.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 06:40:04 pm »
Merci brokeplex!

As Ennis and Jack tried to vary their lives, so why not pose how Ennis would have maybe voted??

Maybe, Ennis would have considered voting for a party which was pro-gay, permiitting gay mariages and others civil rights ?

Answers from you and all, I'll consider interesting !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 06:43:44 pm »
And they're interesting for what they reveal about the movie and about Brokies' own ideas.

I find this to be very true. It reveals a lot about how we view the characters. And it´s not a far fetched question. BBM, to me, is a movie with a message that to a certain extent also is political.

would be interesting to also discuss how Jack may have voted (or if he did at all). Maybe a new poll?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 06:52:40 pm »
It's about time that someone seconds me like you do on this:

Brokeback Mountain (also)       is a movie with a message that to a certain extent also is political              !

That is what I was saying all along... since the USA, etc., the World is changing too much negatively becoming anti-gay, anti-females, educated,, anti-freedom for free persons... since slavery is becoming norm ?

And others say too, somewhat ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »
Seems like you answer your own question -- it's fun to speculate. The forum is full of these sorts of threads.

Personally, I'm not super fond of really far-reaching speculation: "If Ennis had accepted Jack's offer and they had gone to help out at the Twist ranch, would they have lived in the same house with the Twists and eaten their meals with them, and who would have done the dishes?" That kind of thing. For me, there's just not enough to go on to form sound opinions.

But as you see, there ARE some jumping-off points for speculation about Ennis' politics. And they're interesting for what they reveal about the movie and about Brokies' own ideas.

ok, but speculate with more than hunches.

a profile of Ennis, or Jack, Alma, Lureen can tell us more about how they might have voted in an election.

1) demographic profiles are a good start: income level, race, ethnicity, degree of religiosity, occupation, level of education

2) then throw in hunches based upon our knowledge of Ennis' attitudes from the dialog:

for the 2008 election what would Ennis opinion of : same sex marriage, affirmative action, welfare, the war in Iraq, terrorism, the economic downturn, etc. ?

then you can put together a profile of Ennis or any of the characters for any election which they might have voted in, as someone said, probably starting with 1964

I would for the sake of diversity assume Jack did not die in 1983 and he also voted, because he and Lureen are the most likely of the main characters to be registered to vote, so I don't like throwing that character out of the mix.

I would also add Aguirre, OMT and wife, Newsom and wife, and the Malones.

how would they vote based upon what we can fathom of their demographic profiles and hunches about their opinions?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 11:07:32 pm »
Merci brokeplex !

Interesting is your post!

Your views, some or one what would maybe or surely Ennis would have voted for ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 12:23:00 am »
ok, but speculate with more than hunches.

a profile of Ennis, or Jack, Alma, Lureen can tell us more about how they might have voted in an election.

1) demographic profiles are a good start: income level, race, ethnicity, degree of religiosity, occupation, level of education

2) then throw in hunches based upon our knowledge of Ennis' attitudes from the dialog:

for the 2008 election what would Ennis opinion of : same sex marriage, affirmative action, welfare, the war in Iraq, terrorism, the economic downturn, etc. ?

... how would they vote based upon what we can fathom of their demographic profiles and hunches about their opinions?

If you read back on the posts, I think you'll see that that is a pretty good description of what people have done.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 01:24:15 am »

There is an opinion that I can share, since I am closest in age to Jack and Ennis probably. 
I first registered to vote and voted in the 60's.  I registered Republican, because I didnt really
know about the difference that much.  I changed my party affiliation however before I voted for
President the first time.  Because of Calif at the time having a six week registration period required
before election date.  I didnt get to vote for JFK whom I had worked and prayed for his election.
  I was one week too young to do that.  But I can say that the Republican party and the democratic
party were almost completely different then from what they are these days.  There was no talk at all of a gay agendas on either
of the national parties.  They were both pretty conservative religiously, but not near so strident and
open in their right wing agendas.  That pretty much started during the Bob Dole, Newt Gingrich
era.  They were the forerunners of the religious, right wing nut section and division of the parties.
Before that it was only the occasional wing nut in congress like the infamous McCarthy, or his
ilk. 
   But the country was pretty conservative financially and militarily.  Eisenhower was a typical
type American.  He too was a financial conservative, as was Reagan, and all the Republicans that
I have remembered in office.  Ford being the only one of the Republican Presidents that were
more or less centerest.
     I still think that the national parties will only cover the gay issues, when they are drug along
on that road.  I do not see them as leading the way.  Even though some of their candidates
themselves, such as Mr Obama may secretly agree with them, they are worried about the loss
of their base.  If they lose the people they need to elect them.  Then wont be able to get
anything done.  I think they tend to be politically pragmatic.  Its an unfortunate part of the
job of getting elected.

Beautiful mind