Author Topic: Most fascinating U.S. presidents  (Read 3099 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Most fascinating U.S. presidents
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:26:31 pm »
In this president-elect season, and with the release of Frost/Nixon, I got curious about which U.S. presidents BetterMostians find most fascinating. I've selected some of the most prominent, but if your pulse races at the thought of discussing Franklin Pierce, Chester B. Arthur, William H. Taft, Gerald Ford, etc., then check "other" and go for it!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Most fascinating U.S. presidents
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:54:27 pm »
I checked Jefferson, Johnson and Nixon. With a bit of help from Wikpedia, here are my reasons:

Jefferson because, well, he was just so all-around brilliant. Anyone who has ever visited Monticello can't help but emerge amazed. He was a skilled writer, horticulturist, diplomat, university founder, vicarious explorer (Lewis & Clark), inventor, philosopher, architect and, oh yeah, president. But of course, he was far from perfect. He was outspoken in his belief that slavery was immoral, and yet he owned slaves. He promised to free his slaves when he became debt-free, and he never did. He wrote about slavery, "We have the wolf by the ears; and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go."

Johnson and Nixon are almost like bookends -- complex, multifaceted men with outsized personalities. Both had the capacity and desire to do good, both were marred by Shakespearean flaws. By pushing through the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and the War on Poverty, Johnson did more good than I think any other president has in recent years, but then came Vietnam, his undoing. Nixon did more evil than any president in recent years up until (and, some might argue, including) the incumbent. But he did some good things, too: Created Head Start, the EPA, OSHA, and the first federal affirmative-action program. He wanted to create a universal health-care program (but didn't succeed). He traveled to China and engaged in direct talks with leader Mao Zedong, established détente with the Soviet Union. But then the dark side -- he was haunted by paranoia and insecurity, bombed Cambodia, engaged in illegal acts and coverup in Watergate.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:37:45 pm »
Nixon did more evil than any president in recent years up until (and, some might argue, including) the incumbent. But he did some good things, too: Created Head Start, the EPA, OSHA, and the first federal affirmative-action program. He wanted to create a universal health-care program (but didn't succeed). He traveled to China and engaged in direct talks with leader Mao Zedong, established détente with the Soviet Union.

Interesting that the Republican party of the late 60s/early 70s (as represented by Nixon) was that liberal, really.  The U.S. has really swung to the right, all the way around by the looks of things (as conservative and "centrist" Democrats are way to the right of Nixon).

Wasn't Nixon also the first president to approve funding of Planned Parenthood?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:25:46 pm »
Jefferson
Buchanan
Lincoln

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:57:02 am »
Jefferson and Other (Jimmy Carter).

I have long been fascinated with Jimmy Carter.  I posted elsewhere that at the age of 8 I was an activist and avidly followed the 1976 campaign.

From WikiAnswers:

Some accomplishments as president:

* Panama Canal treaties
    * Camp David Accords
    * treaty of peace between Egypt and Israel
    * the SALT II treaty with the Soviet Union
    * establishment of U.S. diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China
    * comprehensive energy program conducted by a new Department of Energy
    * deregulation in energy, transportation, communications, and finance
    * educational programs under a new Department of Education
    * environmental protection legislation, including the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act.

I think, however, I am most impressed with his accomplishments after leaving office through the Carter Center (www.cartercenter.org).  Through his every action, he has impressed me with his dedication to public service, personal integrity, and strength of character.  I've read the books he's published, and he's quite a decent poet.

I took particular note of his decision to separate himself from the Southern Baptist Convention.  As most of you know, I don't have much patience with organized religion of any sort, but given Carter's background, this had to be a major personal crisis for him.

On the flip side, in this interview, Carter talks about homosexuality and gay marriage (http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/915.htm), and we obviously differ dramatically there.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:44:34 am »
Thanks, Lynne! I agree that Carter is interesting, too.

So far there have been six voters, and six votes for Jefferson.