Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415640 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2007, 03:45:15 pm »
Nice Rayn!

I like too your passing name as if you are on a marquee!!

You create writings?? Your comments are wonderful!! Can you use Jack I swear... in your compositions or even make a marquee like a passing words (expression) like your Ryan??

You do movies too?? Use Jack I swear... in them?

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »
When Ennis says: Jack I swear... could that mean now I am too a gay man like you were Jack?

moremojo

« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
When Ennis says: Jack I swear... could that mean now I am too a gay man like you were Jack?
Absolutely. This is a very possible meaning of this moment. There can certainly be no doubt that Ennis realizes that Jack was a gay man, and that he loved and continues to love him. By the same token, he must recognize that theirs was a homosexual relationship, regardless of the issues of sexual identity particular to each of the men. The line could suggest a stammering awareness not only of love, but of identity as well.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2007, 04:06:01 pm »
Thanks  moremojo!

You say this:
The line could suggest a stammering awareness not only of love, but of identity as well.

May I ask: do you think that Ennis means that he is also a gay man exclusively now or is still a bi-sexual still afraid of thinking that he is just for men now, or was just for Jack and will not want another person in his life anymore??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2007, 04:11:42 pm »
[was just for Jack and will not want another person in his life anymore??

Hugs!!
I vote for this! Why? Because Ennis had just learned that his daughter and heir was marrying, and he was thinking of marriage vows, and so this was his marriage vow to Jack!! The reason I think he said just "Jack I swear--" breaking it off there was because he was swearing ALL of it, so much to Jack that he could not enumerate or elaborate everything, but he was swearing to Jack everything and also to himself what you so insightfully pointed out that he was a gay man and Jack's partner and lover.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2007, 04:21:55 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

That is so great Front-Ranger... what you say!!

Wow, wow, you think Ennis is saying, Jack I swear... I am now marrying you!! ??

Hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2007, 05:19:01 pm »
Wow, wow, you think Ennis is saying, Jack I swear... I am now marrying you!! ??
Don't mean to butt in (oh heck...sure I'm a-butting in! Anyone got a problem with that? ;D ;)), but sure, I think this is Ennis's affirmation that he is wedded in his heart to Jack forever. It's a spiritual union more than anything else; Ennis might not even be able to fully articulate all the dimensions of his emotion, as Lee has suggested, but he's aware of feeling something powerful, and has the need to give it voice, however falteringly.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2007, 05:36:32 pm »
Please butt in all you like, Scott!! I live for your always intriguing and enlightening posts!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2007, 06:28:30 pm »
Thanks Scott, and Front-Ranger!!

Do you consider Ennis straight, bi-, or gay before he says: Jack, I swear??

Hugs!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2007, 06:46:52 pm »
I guess you would say that Ennis is gay but that seems to not even begin to describe the love thay had for one another. This will sound cliche' but this is one of the only instances where I actually believe it fits.
I think they were one sould in two bodies. They were so in love and part and parcel of one another.
Look at how they greeted each other after 4yrs! It was ike a day hadn't passed.
I guess if you had to put a label on it then you would have to use gay but it was so very much more than just that!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"