Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 418565 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2007, 06:59:48 pm »
Thanks loneleeb3 !

You say think that Ennis was a gay man:
gay but it was so very much more than just that!
...............................................................................................

May I ask you what you mean by:
but it was so very much more than just that!

Hugs!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2007, 07:42:46 pm »
I tried to explain it in the post, I guess I didn't do a very good job.
I think they were one sould in two bodies. They were so in love and part and parcel of one another.
When I think gay I think sexual prefrence and sexuality.
I just think thier love was just so much deeper.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2007, 08:25:59 pm »
Thanks loneleeb3 !

Deep love between Ennis and Jack, I agree with you.

There seems to be different degrees or different times for that??

What do you say?? By saying Jack, I swear... leaves maybe to believe that too?? You think so??

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2007, 02:02:03 pm »
Therefore he will continue to repeat this uncomplete "swearing" for as long as he draws breath.
Almost like he is in purgatory. The short story in particular seems to end on a note of a nightmare

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »
No matter how many times i watch the movie, and i just watched it again for the umpteenth time......i do not think Ennis is gay, nor do I think, he thinks he is gay.......

He loved Jack, and as far as we can see he was not attracted to other men......it was only Jack.....and I believe the sexual side of their relationship was for Jack, Ennis knew he needed it and that was his way of showing Jack that he loved him and would show him in the way that Jack needed to be shown love.....and I think Ennis also felt, that no one loved HIM like Jack did.....

And the Jack I Swear.......because it came just after his conversation with Alma Jnr, and his decision that her wedding was more important than his job, I think he is saying, "Jack, I Swear,  I will never not do anything for someone I love, again"

Just my point of view.....for what its worth......its hard to put into words what Im trying to say sometimes.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

moremojo

« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2007, 01:21:15 am »
Sue, I think your interpretation is perfectly valid. There's enough ambiguity in the story/film adaptation to support a wide variety of conclusions.

I do think that if Ennis is indeed primarily heterosexual (with the exception of his feelings for Jack [their relationship was homosexual, even if they themselves were not]), that that compounds his tragedy in the end. He never loved anyone quite like he loved Jack, a man, and if Jack was the only man to whom he could respond, then the prospect of his finding a similar relationship becomes even more remote. (I hope I am making sense here).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2007, 01:18:02 pm »
Thanks to all!!

It is or could be even remote as you say moremojo that Ennis will NOT find another man similar to Jack, indeed... since he only has Jack on his mind, even if Jack I swear... means Jack you are my only one and will always be my only one!!

And, that Jack I swear... could be more than that too, like now my daughter is getting married, I wish I had married YOU, stayed with you, somehow lived together, at least closer with you Jack?? It could be much more than that, like I will now do like you...Jack: seek someone like YOU !

Yes, of course, like you say moremojo, Ennis is in like a purgatory, because the nightmares, etc., indicate that. I feel that I am too having lost my partner (Wayne) who I figure was killed by a medical doctor in a hospital, that I am  in a such purgatory having lost him even if I battled for his life, and because Wayne was placed purpusely in such a state by that so-called MD!! Those are FIXATIONS that Ennis, Wayne and I have... that last!!! Even after death, I think that Jack (like Wayne) have nightmares because they were killed by persons who murder gays!!
That must be hard to understand for readers, as it is so hard for me too in order to live comfortably with that in my mind set as well in Ennis's!!

That is only one of the reason why I want a remake, another movie like it, and or a serie, but nobody seems to care for that??

Awaiting your news from you and from all,

hugs, hugs!!

Offline lachlan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle
« Reply #237 on: May 11, 2007, 10:40:59 am »
I recall that Annie Proulx meant the motel scene to be pivotal in the short story.  In there,  Ennis remarks that he hasn't considered "doing it" with any other man but "I wrang it a hunderd times thinkin bout you!" (something like that).   I have known quite a few fellows in my time whose sexual interests were exclusively toward women,  but who had one deep,  loving and sexual relationship with another man.   Indeed,  I met someone recently who had just broken up with his girlfriend and,  although not consciously attracted to males,  announced in private to me that he figures his life wouldn't be complete if he didn't have at least one same-sex experience before he settled into marriage.   I've met many guys very like Ennis in that respect at least.
I come upon a bear is what happened!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #238 on: May 11, 2007, 03:48:57 pm »
Thanks lachlan!

You reveal such among straights!!

Yes, I found that to be true stories too for some straights!!

And yet they considered themselves straights ONLY, and some get angry if you mention that they might be gay!!

Are they just starting to be gay, or just playing anything goes?? Or is it like the BM movie: a social refusal impressed as a fixation against gays??

Hugs!!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2007, 04:46:49 pm »
I think he is saying, "Jack, I Swear,  I will never not do anything for someone I love, again"

Hello Everyone,

I'm not surprised this thread is still going.  The ways to take the "Jack, I swear..." statement are so numerous and make for interesting discussion.  I created this thread so long ago and have had many "ah ha moments" about the statement myself.  I know I've written about several here, but tonight, I watched the film again.  This makes the 8th time in two years, I guess.  I got a more or less fresh and solid read for myself on what Ennis meant which agrees with Katie77. 

What I feel this time is, that he's saying, "Jack I swear I will try to live with an open heart for loved ones.  I will do everything I can to learn to do that because I couldn't do that so well for you.  I didn't know how, I didn't really understand love, until I lost you.  Jack, I swear you taught me the meaning and importance of real love and now that I know, I will love others in your memory; Jack, I swear, I will."  It is his last act of love for Jack and the only thing he can really do to go on living.  It's the only cure for the nightmares and the gnawing grief he feels.  I'm convinced that's what he meant now, even though I've taken it in so many other ways. 

Isn't it funny how the mind and heart change and reform over ideas and life experiences?!   I did enjoy seeing my "old friends" Jack and Ennis again, but as I mentioned in some other thread, I still hate the sadness of Ennis over the loss of Jack, I hate losing Jack too, but take small comfort in knowing that their love enlarged Ennis' soul even if it increased his loneliness for a while.   I say this knowing that if I am correct, and if Ennis were a real person, then the more he learns to open his heart to others, the less lonely he will be in the future.  Jack will always be his saddest and sweetest memory, but in the end, there's some hope that comes in to the picture for Ennis. 

Peace,
Rayn

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:54:05 pm by Rayn »