Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415595 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2007, 09:28:47 pm »
You must tell me when you do come to Canada: Quebec province so you and I, and others can meet.

Try for the end of September 2008 (last week) and early October 2008 (first week), as i will exhibiting (my painting I create) for 2 weeks in Montreal then?? Plan now?? Maybe ??

Hugs!!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:12 am »
I know I've heard people say that they think he says "I'll swear..." instead of "I swear..."

And, honestly I can see how that mistake could be made if you were a first time viewer and/or hadn't read the story.

Hello all,

I got some mail saying there's been recent activity on this thread so I came over to see what the buzz was all about.

Someone said if you listen very carefully with volume turned up, when Ennis presses the shirts in the closet to his face, he says, "I love you."   I can't hear that, nor did I ever hear "I'll swear" in the last line...  Just a comment bringing the thread back to topic.   

moremojo

« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2007, 11:33:21 am »
The elusive 'I love you' in the closet I think will remain one of the great unresolved contested issues among fans of the film. There are those who swear it is there, but agree that it is barely discernable. I've never caught it myself, and if it is barely discernable, it arguably makes little if any impact on the casual viewer and their reception/interpretation of the work. I'd prefer it not to be there--it would detract from the final 'Jack, I swear', which is, among other things, Ennis's affirmation of love.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2007, 05:29:32 pm »
He says both: Jack i swear... I love!!

That seems that to me!!

Hugs!!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #284 on: October 05, 2007, 03:21:35 am »
I'd prefer it not to be there--it would detract from the final 'Jack, I swear', which is, among other things, Ennis's affirmation of love.

I agree Moremojo!  There really isn't any need for "an inaudible" statement of love when it's clear to anyone that Ennis loves Jack. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2007, 11:19:15 am »
Jack  swear... I love you; to me also means that his love is eternal now for Jack, and that he will fight in order to be a gay man now!!

That is what I now think of my former partner/lover/pal who was killed like Jack because he was a gay man!!

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #286 on: October 07, 2007, 05:52:29 pm »
The elusive 'I love you' in the closet I think will remain one of the great unresolved contested issues among fans of the film. There are those who swear it is there, but agree that it is barely discernable. I've never caught it myself, and if it is barely discernable, it arguably makes little if any impact on the casual viewer and their reception/interpretation of the work. I'd prefer it not to be there--it would detract from the final 'Jack, I swear', which is, among other things, Ennis's affirmation of love.

Honestly, I have not heard Ennis say "I love you" in this scene before. But, as I really WANT to hear Ennis say those words......I think that I'll just turn up the volume until it is loud enough for me to hear it anyway.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2007, 05:57:18 pm »
Jack, I swear... you were a saint to me.

Jack, I swear... I will now be your lover.

Could Ennis had thought that??

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2007, 06:04:12 pm »
Jack, I swear... you were a saint to me.

Jack, I swear... I will now be your lover.

Could Ennis had thought that??

Hugs!!

maybe so, certainly he understood that he loved Jack. He was probably still confused about his feelings, but there was no denying them. I like to believe that after Jack's death, Ennis was able to have a great loving father/daughter relationship with his two children. maybe he never established a good realtionship with Alma. In my fantasy, I hope that Ennis is able to find someone, a man or a woman that he can relate to as friend and a lover. Hope springs eternal.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2007, 06:14:24 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

It could be, I feel, that Ennis still loves somewhat his wiife. As you say, he contiues to love his daugthers.

Will he find another woman or man.... it seems NOT as he does prefers to love Jack only!
ONLY! (I understand that as I lost my partner/lover/buddy/pal to similar circumstances as Jack's death! And still loving him, I must also seek another IF I CAN, but am I in the right mode to be seeking that yet??)

What do you think?

Hugs!!