Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415803 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #290 on: October 07, 2007, 06:34:57 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

It could be, I feel, that Ennis still loves somewhat his wiife. As you say, he contiues to love his daugthers.

Will he find another woman or man.... it seems NOT as he does prefers to love Jack only!
ONLY! (I understand that as I lost my partner/lover/buddy/pal to similar circumstances as Jack's death! And still loving him, I must also seek another IF I CAN, but am I in the right mode to be seeking that yet??)

What do you think?

Hugs!!

Artiste, I am sorry about your loss. I too lost the love of my life. Chris died in a traffic accident in California back in 1999. It took me a very long time to deal with the loss. Eventually, I opened up again, and found a wonderful man. We have been dating him for 5 years now. I will always love Chris, I will always feel regrets. But I had to live, and I couldn't live without someone. I was very fortunate to find a very special someone who understands my grief. I wish happiness and contentment as the years go on.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #291 on: October 07, 2007, 06:49:13 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Pray the same continues with you too: a lover and/or partner/ and/ or b uddy / and or pal is great!!

I want that. Wonder how to find one. Where? Etc.? As I am like Ennis...now; without my Jack!! Pensif about my past lover and my future one if I can find!! I swear like Ennis now... for gladly remembering Jack!!

Hugs!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #292 on: October 08, 2007, 07:29:23 am »
We all want to be happy and be loved, have someone to love.  If you look around you where you live, there are  people who you can love and be loved by, not just a "loved one", even though I understand the personal desire for a special loved one. 

However, I would like to gently guide the conversation back to the topic and hope that's ok with everyone.  I feel some responsibility for that since I started the thread and wish it to continue in the intended form. 

Thanks for all your comments on or off topic, they're great and do add to the big pic, but let's keep on track guys not too far from the topic...  Ok?   ;)

Peace,
Rayn

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #293 on: October 08, 2007, 07:36:01 am »
It's the least ambivalent line in the book----and the one with the most debate!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #294 on: October 08, 2007, 10:00:37 am »
Yes!

To me Jack  I swear means that he now loves MUCH more Jack, and that he will KEEP ON loving him.

Ennis is a man of HIS WORD! He is stating that he will continue to love JACK, as well as to love OTHERS, like to love his daughter by going to her wedding!! Of course, he will love now in many wondrous ways to better HIMSELF and the WORLD, especially the GAY world!!

Any comments on this?

Hugs!!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2007, 10:44:47 am »
It's the least ambivalent line in the book----and the one with the most debate!

That is one of the best comments I've ever read on here because it 's so succinct and so true.  Yes, the emotions behind the line are very straight forward and strong. 

It's so Ennis to say it too, as I see him.  He can be very true and honest at times and then too, at times, he can be very ambivalent about his feeling.   Ennis, in my opinion, is a more complex character than Jack, and so it's natural he would say that line.

It's what he means by it that causes debate because again, like Ennis, what he doesn't say is often as important as what he does say.  Great insight brokebackjack!

:)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2007, 11:07:13 am »
That is one of the best comments I've ever read on here because it 's so succinct and so true.  Yes, the emotions behind the line are very straight forward and strong. 

It's so Ennis to say it too, as I see him.  He can be very true and honest at times and then too, at times, he can be very ambivalent about his feeling.   Ennis, in my opinion, is a more complex character than Jack, and so it's natural he would say that line.

It's what he means by it that causes debate because again, like Ennis, what he doesn't say is often as important as what he does say.  Great insight brokebackjack!

:)

I think Ennis wants to let go a lot of the time but he forces himself to hold back. He is a conundrum!
It's like he has 2 sides fighting for dominance! I can so relate to him for that.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #297 on: October 08, 2007, 11:26:54 am »
At least Ennis is a man, saying that phrase!!

And he thinks!! Feels too more??

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #298 on: October 09, 2007, 05:46:40 am »
I meant what I wrote about that line; at the same time, it is deliberately designed so the reader--I am speaking of the short story--fills in the blank. And in the film it is the same.

The problem is we all talk too damned much.

lol
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #299 on: October 09, 2007, 09:50:59 am »
Jack I swear... that from now on that gays or a gay will know that i am a gay man?

Could that be?

Hugs!