Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415622 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2006, 02:37:54 am »
Sorry for being so Off Topic, but I have strong feelings against people who abuse children.

Rayn

Offline aileen

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2006, 09:42:19 am »
Looking at Ennis' face during "I swear" scene... For me these words always meant: Jack, I swear...if only I could turn back time, everything would be different...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2006, 09:45:48 am »
Looking at Ennis' face during "I swear" scene... For me these words always meant: Jack, I swear...if only I could turn back time, everything would be different...

Hmmmm.  Yeah.  I agree.  His face is so stunning, there.  I swear my heart still stops for a second every time I see him back away from that closet and there are those eyes, black as quartz brimming with those tears.  And the way he pulls his lower lip in right afterwards that tiny bit, as if to attempt to muffle a sob.  Still haunts me.  Always will.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2006, 01:09:56 pm »
Hmmmm.  Yeah.  I agree.  His face is so stunning, there.  I swear my heart still stops for a second every time I see him back away from that closet and there are those eyes, black as quartz brimming with those tears.  And the way he pulls his lower lip in right afterwards that tiny bit, as if to attempt to muffle a sob.  Still haunts me.  Always will.

Yes, that moment is so powerful, partly because it is very emotional but also restrained.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2006, 08:25:40 pm »
All this reminds me of something my mother told me once.  I have two brothers, one five and one six years older than I.  When my next older brother was about six, he was still wetting the bed for whatever reasons - my mother thinks it's because the oldest one had been so easy to potty train and early, so they made the mistake of forcing it on the next one before he was really ready.  Anyway, one night my mother was out at a PTA meeting kind of late-ish while my dad was watching the three of us.  There was a lot of tension and trouble in their marriage for a variety of reasons leading up to this, mind you.  But apparently my brother awoke at about 9:30 p.m., his pajamas and bed soaked.  He started crying about it, being half asleep and uncomfortable as hell.  Well, my dad apparently went to his room, saw all this, and proceeded to start spanking the living daylights out of him.  My mother walked in on this.  After the dust settled, she said very calmly to him, "You can stay the night.  But in the morning, I want you and your things gone.  You're taking it out on the kids, now, and I won't allow that."  This was 1967.

So as to the discussion at hand, I don't imagine Mrs. Twist knew.  As subservient as a woman in her position was supposed to be in that time and place, I just don't see her allowing it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:27:57 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2006, 02:29:06 am »
It occurred to me while working on my third never mind, that Jack acquired his consumate skill as a liar from his mother, whose only defence against her abusive husband was to make him believe what he wanted to hear; she obviously feared him, when Ennis was there, either for her sake, or, more likely, for Ennis's. ...boy, Jack sure was good at llying, especially for someone otherwise so open, loving and sweet.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Mary Twist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2006, 05:40:16 pm »
I agree i think Jack was saying he would SWEAR to see to it that Ennis ashes were laid to rest where he wanted them to be , in the only place he was ever truely happy. I also think he is saying `I Swear` i love you and i will never forget you. So sad x x

Oh, my, this person Karan whose letter is between my two, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, is so mixed up, I'm afraid.  My son Jack did not say "I swear".  His boyfriend Ennis said that some time after Jack died and Ennis had visited us at our homestead and he left with their two shirts. 

My heavens, this person wrote "Ennis's ashes"?  Ennis isn't dead!  My word, Ennis is very alive, my dear.  Ennis called me this very afternoon about what time he's arriving tomorrow. 

You know what they say, "Believe half of what you hear and less of what you read". 

Sincerely,
Mrs. Mary Twist     
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:54:15 pm by Mary Twist »
You come back and see us soon.  We'll have fresh hot coffee and homemade cherry cake!

pinku

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2006, 05:16:27 am »
He means nothing! And the writer herself says that Jack never made swear and Ennis was also not the swearing kind. But the scene was magnificently performed by Ledger and is exactly like the book - he had stinging tears. Beautiful. I am impressed by Ledger's capability as an actor. He has with this movie left his contemporaries far far far behind :)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2006, 11:13:21 am »
He means nothing!

Well, you're the first person in over 100 posts who thinks Ennis meant nothing.  Are you saying what he said was an exclamation, like, "I delare!"  'cause that's possible, but even such exclamations mean something.  They mean suprise or excitement or amazement or bewilderment etc.  Ennis wasn't a man to speak words that meant "nothing".   He's be more likely to say nothing than speak meaningless words.  So, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I don't think many will agree it  There's too much that points to the phrase being chock full of meaning and what Annie P. writes about Ennis not being one to swear anything is more an indication that there was great meaning because it was so very unsual for Ennis use such words. 

Rayn
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 11:18:52 am by Rayn »

Offline Mary Twist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2006, 05:27:03 pm »
Oh, you are rightly so, Mister or Miss Rayn.  Surely Ennis meant something by "Jack, I swear" or he would not have said it.

God bless you all this Memorial weekend.

Mrs. Mary Twist
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:29:18 pm by Aussie Chris »
You come back and see us soon.  We'll have fresh hot coffee and homemade cherry cake!