Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415826 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »
Thanks for the comment about Heath Ledger. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the barely noticeable mouthing of "I love you" was an ad lib by Ledger(shades of what we now know happened on the set of "Casablanca" with Claude Rains and Bogart ad libbing like mad!). I'm not surprised because Heath Ledger is one of the best actors to come along in some time, an actor who follows his instincts. Gosh, I wish that the Academy had awarded Heath "Best Actor" for Brokeback!

We all know it should have!  :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2007, 10:05:13 pm »

I always thought that Ennis meant.  I swear I always loved you.  If I could have done
differently.  I would have.  I was afraid....and who could blame him...he found out what would
happen..

Beautiful mind

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2007, 10:19:13 pm »
maybe what Ennis meant to say was :

Jack I swear, I remember that old cold time on the mountain whan we heard the wind soughing through the pines,
Jack I swear, I remember that time soaring in the air when we believed that our love was nobody's business but ours,
Jack I swear, I remember the mountain covered with the snow of our memories and regrets.

we'll never really know of course what Ennis meant to say to Jack, but this is what it means to me.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2007, 10:26:21 pm »

Everyone is entitled to the thought that they think he meant..
But tp be angry with him, to me is to be mad at a man that had his own set of reasons that
were to him justified and genuine..
   Its the same old cliqche "walk a mile in my shoes"

Beautiful mind

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33:55 am »
Jack I swear... that from now on that gays or a gay will know that i am a gay man?

Could that be?

Hugs!

I don't believe so...   As I read the book and the character in the movie, I don't think Ennis ever even heard the word, Gay .... His word is queer used as an adjective, "You know I ain't queer".   Gay would be too progressive a word for him and the Gay Movement wasn't well known to people in his parts until the late 70s/80s ...

I don't think Ennis cared much for social movements of his day.   He wasn't concerned with that.  He was more concerned with getting by, and life in general, his friends, family and work.  Plain and simple cowboy, as I see him.  That's my opinion though, based on the book and the movie I read and saw.

:)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2007, 06:26:17 am »
I've never been able to put into words what Ennis meant [IMO] and that is perfect. neither could he. But I think he meant all the above, wasn't angry, didn't even think about randall, the Mexican's, none of them.

He was expressing love.

And the author would have hummed All You Need Is Love. I'm serious. Ennis would have simply loved.

We complicate it all with bullshit words and emotions he wouldn't have bothered to feel, emotions not in the screenplay or the short story.

he would have loved. It's so immense and so awesome he couldn't find anything but "Jack, I swear..."
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2007, 09:48:38 am »
Hi brokenbackjack and others!!

I do not believe that was just so... nor could it be the only thing, brokenbackjack!!

Since I figure with much proofs that an islamic MD killed on purpose my gay love-partner-buddy-pal in the hospital and is getting away with it, and, therefore I can NOT only swear that I can only say that I love my partner, but that I must also express that the criminal islamic MD did wrong taking a life of another only because my pal was a gay man!!

When Ennis says: Jack, I swear... Ennis has to say much more than ONLY Jack I love you!!

Your comments? And from others!!

Hugs!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2007, 07:34:09 am »
He was expressing love.  It's so immense and so awesome he couldn't find anything but "Jack, I swear..."

Of course that's true, and All You Need Is Love, is true, too, but each person who sees the movie or reads the story also comes to their own conclusion which is valid for them.  The fun of this thread is seeing what others conclude and feel and think or imagine.  It's a fun way to get to know each other too.  I'm glad to see it still going after all this time and hope it goes on to entertain and educate new comers if there are any in the future.  I have been so busy lately, I haven't been online at BetterMost lately, so I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the thread and wish you each a Happy New Year!   

Rayn
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:28:19 am by Rayn »

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:47 am »
Well,I suppose everything has been said about this open end that implies so many interpretations almost as persons have seen the movie or read the story...No matter what words we can include after this "Jack,I swear...",IMO all of them go to the same point: Ennis discovers how he has wasted  his life and Jack's,finds the irony that there's in passing all this life protecting themselves to finish like Earl and Rich by denying this "sweet life" together to end precisely like them.He realises how deep was Jack's love and his own love,in spite of himself,how many times he put a denial made by his mind instead of a "I love you"made by his heart...And decides to change,although it's too late for  this time of their lives,not for the others that will come thereafter.From this point onward,think,write or say what you want;everything is valid,mainly because he's swearing to himself too.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #319 on: December 29, 2007, 05:47:29 pm »
That's right!  And, as much as it hurts to think about ( I have tell myself sometimes .. it's only a movie) I hadn't equated Jack and Ennis with Earl and Rich...  Yes, how truly ironic and painfully sad.