Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415681 times)

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2008, 12:13:02 pm »

fear can kill a full expression of love and if not dealt with and overcome, it can end the exchange of love completely.

I completely agree.  For twenty years, Jack waited.  He always hoped, hence why he jumped in his truck when Ennis got divorced.  Ennis never managed to express his love for Jack, and it was clear that Jack was moving on from prostitutes to actually "seeing a ranch foreman ['s wife]".  The argument on the lake was Jack's way of shouting "I love you and if you don't want me, I can show you a guy who does".  Ennis didn't ask him to stay yet thought their trip in November would go ahead as planned. 

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Proud wolf in human clothing.
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2008, 12:23:29 pm »
I completely agree.  For twenty years, Jack waited.  He always hoped, hence why he jumped in his truck when Ennis got divorced.  Ennis never managed to express his love for Jack, and it was clear that Jack was moving on from prostitutes to actually "seeing a ranch foreman ['s wife]".  The argument on the lake was Jack's way of shouting "I love you and if you don't want me, I can show you a guy who does".  Ennis didn't ask him to stay yet thought their trip in November would go ahead as planned. 

I so agree with what both Rayn said about fear killing love, but what Sandy said too. Fear, in my opinion, can not only kill love. But someone's soul. What I'm trying to say is, fear can stop a person from living life the way it should be lived and not just "living". If that makes sense.

On that note. I'm off to sleep. at 3:18AM. Been up almost 36 hours or more.

And with stark awareness I also realize that I feel extremely dumb. *smacks forehead*

I guess thats just because there is more to life then my brain can handle at the moment??..........Sleeeeeeep.
NIGHT!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

If all is not lost, then where is it?

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2008, 07:54:56 pm »
Thanks Katness!! Thanks to all too!!

Yes, there is fear in all humans, I think!!

I fear more and more others!! Have no choice, in a way... being an Ennis now, I guess!

In other ways, I used to me more of an Jack!

Wow, what a change!!

Been thinking about fear and love... lately.

More comments about it and the BM movie or book from you and from all, please.

A note, for being pensive or for a smile: Jack, I swear... I will reply to you too, since I am now Ennis (like)!!

Hugs!

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2008, 01:06:32 am »
When I read the words "fear and love" I immediately thought of Patrick Swayze's Jim Cunningham from Donnie Darko. Heh heh heh.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2008, 10:52:15 am »
Well that is a wild card association if ever there was one... even if Jake Gyllenhaal is the lead character, but hey, BTW, did you know Jake's real sister, Maggie, plays Donnie's sister in the movie?  What a trip the whole thing is.... but how does it relate, outside of "fear and love", to Brokeback Mountain?!??   You got me~ 

;D

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
Hum, well, Jack loves Ennis, yet Ennis is scared of what could happen if he commits. Yet he too loves Jack but doesn't express it.

So, if Donnie Darko was in that class holding a scenario card, it could say "Jack loves Ennis, but Ennis is too afraid of consequences to commit, yet he loves Jack but doesn't show it" then his teacher could say "now place the x on the line between love and fear where the story would fall".

Hah, my brain works in odd ways. I love it!.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2008, 06:22:23 pm »
When I read the words "fear and love" I immediately thought of Patrick Swayze's Jim Cunningham from Donnie Darko. Heh heh heh.

rofrlmao

completely offtopic, but when my childhood friends saw Donnie Darko they began callin ME Donnie
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2008, 10:39:32 pm »
Oh Yeah....   ???    LOL that's funny... I think     :laugh:   LOL     Could we just go back to Ennis & Jack alone so I don't get so confused??   ???

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2008, 11:50:37 pm »
Well said Katness!

Do you think that Ennis means or says something else too?

By swearing such...Jack I sweak...

Hugs!

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23:06 am »
Oh Yeah....   ???    LOL that's funny... I think     :laugh:   LOL     Could we just go back to Ennis & Jack alone so I don't get so confused??   ???

Heh, sorry for confusion. I'll explain the particular scene I'm referring to.

In Donnie Darko, there are two characters, Jim Cunningham who is portrayed by Partick Swayze and Donnie's teacher Kitty Farmer who is portrayed by Beth Grant (who also was the religious woman running across the street while hallucinating that some blow up dolls filled with helium are angels in Six Feet Under) Anyway. Jim Cinningham is a salesman for an infomercial that (if I remember correctly) Is a system for overcoming fear and feeling love. No matter what it is. Kitty is a fan of his, almost fanatical.

So, during class one time Kitty had some scenario cards. And she picked up the chalk and drew a straight line on the blackboard and put fear at one end and love at the other. She then asked her students to pick a card and read it out loud. Then put an x on the line that that scenario would fall between love and fear. And Donnie comes up and practically says it won't work.

That ^^^ is one of my favourite scenes that leads straight onto another favourite scene. Hence with the convo of love and fear, I was thinking Donnie Darko.