Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415680 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #370 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:37 am »
Jack I swear...

I wish I had moved in with you...

to protect you!!

Happy St-Valentine, my dear love!!

Hugs too!!

Hugs to all and happy St-Valentine!!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #371 on: February 13, 2008, 01:47:57 pm »
It's sure that Ennis last words were mainly a vow of love and the commitment he hadn't got when Jack was alive;but it has been said also that is a phrase open to many interpretations and meanings.In this sense,I wonder if this was a kind of saying that he was to begin a new life,accepting himself just like he was.It's said that we don't know what we have until we lose it;and we know then what we have,WHAT WE ARE AND WHAT WE FEEL...Does Ennis mean that he has came to terms with his own sexuality and he is able to live it in a not so guilty way?.More concretely,would Ennis be able to open himself enough as to have a relationship with another man in the future?.
Well,in the s.s. beginning we see He's alone several years after Jack's death;and that he's united emotionally to his lover's memories,who is alive and by his side only in his dreams.He's alone,yes,but in this very moment of the story;had he could have a relationship,even if it was only a mere sexual relief,as Jack's Mexican hustlers?Or,on the contrary,this irony of being afraid all his life for something that happenned in the end,could make him being more closed,protected into his shield?.The irony of protecting themselves against being murdered by their sexuality by ending in the same way however,is a way of telling Ennis he was right? Or a way to telling him "do as you please because you have only one life and you must live it by yourself before it's too late?".
We've seen also how Ennis lives a kind of "coming out" precisely with the persons whose reaction could have been more violent:Jack's wife and parents.And he feels as more free,more himself than ever before...So,I ask:could it be his last phrase like-"Jack,I swear...I'm going to be myself from now onwards.I'm going to live as I feel,faithful to your memory,but in the way you taught me I was"?.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #372 on: February 15, 2008, 12:03:23 pm »
"Jack, I swear..." 

Of the two men, Ennis was the more formidable fighter and protector. This is ironic since Ennis was the one who was the most fearful of the consequences of their relationship.  Jack was more vulnerable, but the more hopeful. Ennis realized that just as he failed the sheep when he failed to protect that ewe when she was attacked and killed by the coyotes, he also failed to protect Jack by not allowing the relationship which they could have had. If Ennis had been with Jack, it is less likely that an attack on them would have been successful.

People in relationships must nurture each other and protect each other, Ennis's denial of Jack meant he couldn't protect Jack, and so he failed Jack.

Too late, Ennis understood the consequences of failing in one's responsibility, maybe those old words from Joe Aguirre came back to haunt him, "ranch stiff, they're never no good."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #373 on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:48 pm »
"Jack, I swear..." 

Of the two men, Ennis was the more formidable fighter and protector. This is ironic since Ennis was the one who was the most fearful of the consequences of their relationship.  Jack was more vulnerable, but the more hopeful. Ennis realized that just as he failed the sheep when he failed to protect that ewe when she was attacked and killed by the coyotes, he also failed to protect Jack by not allowing the relationship which they could have had. If Ennis had been with Jack, it is less likely that an attack on them would have been successful.

People in relationships must nurture each other and protect each other, Ennis's denial of Jack meant he couldn't protect Jack, and so he failed Jack.

Too late, Ennis understood the consequences of failing in one's responsibility, maybe those old words from Joe Aguirre came back to haunt him, "ranch stiff, they're never no good."

Wow, I have heard alot of pontificating about this point but that was an awsome and very well thought out observation.
I love it! Man, I wish I had thet depth. I can see it after it is brought out.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
thanks loneleeb,

it is painful but I feel a truthful consequence Ennis's failure. not that I am not very sympathetic to Ennis, I am, I understand him. but, I feel as gay men we can't grow from the Brokie experience unless we see these painful truths. and take responsibility for our lives and for caring for the lives of those whom we love.

happy trails!

moremojo

« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2008, 02:57:49 pm »
I agree with this, and would only add that I think Ennis felt guilt even when contemplating the possibility that Jack's death was the accident he was told it was. In the end, Ennis was not present at Jack's time of need, and I think that must have haunted him, even if the feeling wasn't necessarily logical (grieving often encompasses irrational thoughts).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2008, 08:07:05 pm »
Thanks all of you... great comments!!

It could very be that if Ennis had lived with Jack, that Jack would have been safe or safer!! I hope too!!

However, that would NOT have been nescessarally so. For instance, in my case when I had an USA army sargeant living with me, I still got anti-gay menaces... from criminals!! WE are, were, both very masculine men!! So, how do anti-gays find out if we are gays?? They know since they sense it!! ?? Even ladies would come to my place!!

Ennis, when he was young, had seen that dead gay man, one of the two who were living together or working ?? !! That One man in the BM movie was murdered even if they were two tough old birds!! More can be said about that??

Yes, we must protect oneself, two the better, and even more as a group... society!! Since criminals too often become a gang(s)!! One must know that??

It could be that Ennis found that out?? That gang which murdered Jack?? !!

Ennis still will hope for the best for Jack!! Forever!!

Hugs!!   How can we protect ourselves??  Please do!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2008, 11:54:20 pm »
Jack, I swear...

it was so easy to fall in love with you...

hugs!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #378 on: March 03, 2008, 04:18:15 am »
"Jack I swear,"if there's a place we go after death, love will take me to you there.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #379 on: March 03, 2008, 05:50:51 am »
"Jack I swear,"if there's a place we go after death, love will take me to you there.
Wonderful,Rayn¡  :)  But so sad,and for a time ago,still more...
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.