Author Topic: Collectibles!  (Read 164189 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Collectibles!
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2018, 04:17:48 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2018, 04:18:28 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2018, 10:35:11 am »
What an impressive collection! So, these are 45s?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:07 am »
Thanks Lee.

The only one that's a 45 is the one that's shaped like Madonna, second picture from the top of this page, the record in the middle.

The rest are album sized.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »
The only one that's a 45 is the one that's shaped like Madonna, second picture from the top of this page, the record in the middle.

When my dad was in the hospital last winter, I was looking through his desk (which used to be my desk/the desk in my old bedroom) to make sure I knew where everything important was located, in case I needed it. In the bottom of one drawer I found a small stack of old 45s, most with the little plastic piece you could buy to put in the center so that you could play the 45 on a turntable with a narrow spindle (the kind used for LPs).

Most of those records dated from around 1980, give or take a few years, but one went all the way back to "Harper Valley PTA," by Jeannie C. Riley.

IIRC, the stack had a couple Hall and Oates songs. I'm sure I remember the theme from the TV show "The Greatest American Hero," and also a song called "Key Largo" ("We had it all/Just like Bogie and Bacall") by someone named Bertie Higgins.  I think there was also a single of "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)," by Rupert Holmes.

I'm not even sure I've got anything to play those records anymore. I'll have to remember to check if my turntable has a 45 speed. They could be played on my old stereo (still in my dad's house), but I don't know if that even works anymore.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:55:12 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
Hiya Jeff!

I remember the piece of plastic that went inside the 45, and I remember all those songs you've listed, and liked them all.

Especially "Key Largo" by Bertie Higgins!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:31:09 pm by CellarDweller »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2019, 11:01:00 pm »

My favorite super heroes have made their comeback today.

;D

The Wonder Twins (Zan & Jayna) first appeared in the comic book and tv cartoon "The Super Friends" in the 70s.  They were shape changers who could only use their powers by coming into contact with each other.  By the mid 80s, both the cartoon and comic were cancelled.  They reappeared in the comic series "Extreme Justice" during the 90s, but the book was cancelled a few issues after they reappeared.   In 2002 they appeared in the series Young Justice, but once again, the series was cancelled not long after their first appearance.

Now they've reappeared in a new 6 issue mini-series called "Wonder Twins".  We don't know much about them now, other than Superman took them from their home planet (Exxor) at the request of their father, after they had done something.  They are now interns at the Hall of Justice, working under the watchful eye of Superman and the other Justice League members.

Issue #1 was released today, with two different covers, so I got both.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:54 pm »

Wonder Twins #2 is a great read......for a comic book.

:laugh:

Commentary on the US school system and prison system. Zan & Jayna go on a class trip to a prison, because they can see it for free, which is the funding the school can afford. The twins explain that there is no crime on their planet of Exxor, so they don't understand what prisons are, really.  They also question why prisoners are caught and released over and over.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:34 pm »
I could get into that!
"chewing gum and duct tape"