Author Topic: Over the years...  (Read 5496 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Over the years...
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 09:38:31 pm »
That is a really interesting question, Littlewing.

I have been sitting here for a few minutes trying to think this through before I posted, and quite frankly I didn't get very far! ???

It is fairly clear Ennis would have had little exposure, if any to African Americans or the culture. It is also fairly clear Ennis has problems expressing his emotions, but he had a big heart. I would like to think Ennis is fairly open minded (I am remembering the scene where Jack tells Ennis he is a Pentecostal. Ennis didn't know anything about the religion, but he didn't seem uncomfortable or judgmental towards Jack at all when Jack was explaining the religion to him).

I think Ennis would have simply been watching the show and enjoying it. I also think if Ennis did have any thoughts running through his mind, they would have been geared towards watching the show and trying to learn from it.

This is how I think of Ennis anyhow. I like to think of Ennis as a quiet man with an accepting heart and an open mind.  He just has trouble showing it sometimes!  :)

Thanks for your reply, David.  I agree with everything you said about Ennis, and I believe the same can be said of Jack.
I especially like your characterization of Ennis as a quiet and accepting person.  People who are hurting usually have the capacity to empathize with others.  And even if the reverse were true, I can honestly say I wouldn't think any less of Ennis, nor would anything change.  It seems nothing can spoil this perfect movie for me. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »
Thanks for your reply, David.  I agree with everything you said about Ennis, and I believe the same can be said of Jack.
I especially like your characterization of Ennis as a quiet and accepting person.  People who are hurting usually have the capacity to empathize with others.  And even if the reverse were true, I can honestly say I wouldn't think any less of Ennis, nor would anything change.  It seems nothing can spoil this perfect movie for me. :)

I agree with you 100 percent Littlewing!   :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 09:56:52 pm »
Thanks, sweetheart  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 10:36:52 pm »
I would like to think Ennis is fairly open minded (I am remembering the scene where Jack tells Ennis he is a Pentecostal. Ennis didn't know anything about the religion, but he didn't seem uncomfortable or judgmental towards Jack at all when Jack was explaining the religion to him).

... This is how I think of Ennis anyhow. I like to think of Ennis as a quiet man with an accepting heart and an open mind.  He just has trouble showing it sometimes!  :)

Thank you for saying that, David and littlewing! Having just come out of one argument in which the other people insisted Ennis is sexist, and another in which the other people insisted Ennis is selfish, it's SO refreshing to hear from people who think he's neither!

I totally agree with you.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 10:58:30 pm »
Thank you for saying that, David and littlewing! Having just come out of one argument in which the other people insisted Ennis is sexist, and another in which the other people insisted Ennis is selfish, it's SO refreshing to hear from people who think he's neither!

I totally agree with you.

I certainly don't think Ennis was sexist. Not at all. If anything he was a victim of his own environment. But he certainly wasn't sexist. And I truly believe Ennis wasn't racist or prejudiced either. Ennis was a very accepting person, but like I told Littlewing, he had a diffiuclt time showing it. It was there in his heart but he was afraid to let it out sometimes. And I agree with Littlewing on what she said about Jack. Jack would have openly embraced new cultures and customs quickly. Like Ennis, he had a big heart and accepting open mind too. And Jack wasn't afraid at all to let others know how he felt. I think Jack would openly embrace new ideas and concepts, as well as anything "foreign" or different. Ennis would too, but first in his heart and mind, and later on he would show it openly.

But Ennis wasn't sexist at all!

Who said this? ???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:00:43 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.