Author Topic: A Love Born From Steel - Ongoing Discussion  (Read 298850 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Brokies in Dallas -- need some info
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2006, 07:51:24 am »
No you could not walk.  There is no hotel close enough to the Magnolia to walk. You could take the trolley, it goes right past the West Village and it stops in front of the Fairmount downtown, so you could walk and take the McKinney Avenue Trolley to get downtown to the Fairmount Hotel. There is a nice steak house within walking distance of the Magnolia Theater called Texas Land & Cattle, at the corner of Cole and Lemmon.

If you wanted a theater, restaurant and hotel within walking distance of each other, you'd have to go to Northpark.  The Bradford Hotel is across the street. Another nice feature of Northpark, there is a shuttle that will take you to the DART rail station.

Hope this helps!! ::)

All right, this is sounding good. So a person could stay at the Fairmount Hotel, take the trolley to (where? West Village) and have dinner at Texas Land & Cattle and then walk to the Magnolia to watch the movie. Is this correct?

I have to laugh...I live here in Maine where it says "Vacationland" on our license plates. Friends of friends of friends email me asking for hotels, restaurants, rental cottages, where to go skiing, where to get the best fried clams etc etc. I feel like a walking travel guide. Something tells me that Dallas is NOT a tourist destination. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
Re: A Love Born From Steel
« Reply #251 on: June 04, 2006, 09:12:07 am »
Leslie these stories are just brilliant, and so cute too.  Can I ask you how many chapters your going to write?  The more the better btw.  I think I read them nearly every day. ::)  Your very clever, well done.
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #252 on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:17 am »
Leslie these stories are just brilliant, and so cute too.  Can I ask you how many chapters your going to write?  The more the better btw.  I think I read them nearly every day. ::)  Your very clever, well done.

Three chapters more, definitely...maybe 4. It depends on how the one I am working on turns out, if it is one or two.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: A Love Born From Steel: CHAPTER 16
« Reply #253 on: June 04, 2006, 09:21:18 am »
Hmm,,  feeling woosey and light headed.  Disoriented feeling.  Aching heart and the weight of the lonely wide open spaces comes rolling down apon me.....

that can mean only one thing!      It is just about time for Chapter 17!     ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: A Love Born From Steel: CHAPTER 16
« Reply #254 on: June 04, 2006, 09:22:43 am »
I'm working on it David...having a hard time burying Hal, though.

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2006, 10:02:02 am »
Brilliant cant wait. Theres some VERY steamy stuff in those stores Leslie. ;)  Keep up the good work!! ;) ;)
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2006, 11:31:42 am »

All right, this is sounding good. So a person could stay at the Fairmount Hotel, take the trolley to (where? West Village) and have dinner at Texas Land & Cattle and then walk to the Magnolia to watch the movie. Is this correct?

Yes.

I have to laugh...I live here in Maine where it says "Vacationland" on our license plates. Friends of friends of friends email me asking for hotels, restaurants, rental cottages, where to go skiing, where to get the best fried clams etc etc. I feel like a walking travel guide. Something tells me that Dallas is NOT a tourist destination. LOL

L

I live here and I don't think Dallas or Texas is particularly tourist worthy.  Not much to see and for most of what you can see, you need a car.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2006, 11:39:56 am »
I live here and I don't think Dallas or Texas is particularly tourist worthy.  Not much to see and for most of what you can see, you need a car.

I've been there (several times) and I would agree with the car part, but I have actually seen some interesting touristy things--the Ranching Heritage Museum in Lubbock comes to mind, plus the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I also visited a nice winery in Lubbock.

And one thing about you Texans, you are a friendly bunch!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2006, 12:18:07 pm »
I've been there (several times) and I would agree with the car part, but I have actually seen some interesting touristy things--the Ranching Heritage Museum in Lubbock comes to mind, plus the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I also visited a nice winery in Lubbock.

And one thing about you Texans, you are a friendly bunch!

There are things to see, but not all in one place - the Kennedy things in Dallas, the limestone caverns and Aquarena Springs in Central Texas, the mission tours in/around San Antonio, the Marfa lights, if you like deserts Big Bend National Park, the Strand in Galveston but ye gods not a single place is near to each other and we're talking hours and hours of driving.

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2006, 02:28:54 pm »
Yes Leslie,
One could stay at the Fairmount.  Take the McKinney Avenue Trolley to the West Village where the Magnolia is, and walk to Texas Land and Cattle. 

Our classic car club hosted the national convention in Dallas two years ago, and I was in charge of what to show them during the day on Saturday.  We decided to tour Swiss Avenue on our way to a tailgate breakfast at White Rock Lake, then we had busses take them to different destinations.  Most postitive comments came from the Sixth Floor Museum, but Dallas World Aquarium was also well received.  Our big car show was held at Fair Park.

As I said when I was heading up this committee "Dallas is a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there".

I thnk most out of towners go to Six Flags Amusement Park, the Mesquite Rodeo, and our sports events.

On the other hand, Fort Worth is loaded with great things to see. 
..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.