Author Topic: Most Annoying Travel Habits  (Read 50384 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Most Annoying Travel Habits
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2009, 01:46:03 am »
'Nother annoying habit...leaving your alarm clock set. When bedding down in a hotel room, make sure your alarm clock is not set for some god-awful hour. I've been woken up by an alarm going off in the (empty) next room very early in the a.m. in two places: Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and Manhattan, New York. I tell you, that was a GDBOAUS!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

pnwDUDE

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2009, 01:50:22 am »
'Nother annoying habit...leaving your alarm clock set. When bedding down in a hotel room, make sure your alarm clock is not set for some god-awful hour. I've been woken up by an alarm going off in the (empty) next room very early in the a.m. in two places: Pagosa Springs, Colorado, and Manhattan, New York. I tell you, that was a GDBOAUS!!

That is a 'housekeeping' problem. Them gals are suppose to check stuff like that when they make up a room.

Brad

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »
I really do wonder if the variation in preferred cell phone etiquette is a generational thing.  My niece in her mid-20s will answer her phone sitting in my living room and just start talking with no "excuse me" to me and others sitting there, and no attempt at a short conversation.  Suddenly this invisible, inaudible person has joined our conversation, and we, the people actually in the room with her, usually wind up being the ones who politely shut down.  I've wanted to talk to her about this behavior and how much I hate it for years, but don't trust I'll be pleasant about it, so haven't said anything yet.

I thought I was the only one who thought talking on the phone while in company of someone else is rude.This is something that bothers me a lot. It is disrespectful and I always wonder why the person who calls is suddenly more important!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »
I thought I was the only one who thought talking on the phone while in company of someone else is rude.This is something that bothers me a lot. It is disrespectful and I always wonder why the person who calls is suddenly more important!

Yes, I agree, it is disrespectful when in a group, to ignore the group as if whoever is on the phone is the priority.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2009, 04:03:59 am »
I  got one for you, come across it at an airport though I guess it could happen anywhere: I walk into the restroom and hear this dude yappin on the phone and "taking care of business" simaltaneously. I know this because every now and then he would flush and carry on talking like it was no big thing. Makes you never want to tiouch anyone else's PDA or phone.

Thought it was a new low for the multitasking society, but according to a female freind who was there when I mentioned this later, totally agahast, said oh, it happens all the time in womens restrooms as the girls spend more time in the stalls.

Dont know about you folks but as someone who is not too comfortable going "#1" in public, dont know what'd it do to my plumbing if I was already in a position of needing to use a public facility for the serious business, and along comes some guy, plops down on the throne and then gets on the horn with his buds on top it it. Think it'd be a week before I could unclench.

That brings me back to that memory of mine at Montgomery Ward. :P

Yes. I know what you mean. I have a very shy bladder as well. :(

I won't use a public bathroom unless it is absolutely necessary. And even then, I will ALWAYS enter a stall.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2009, 01:31:34 pm »
I  got one for you, come across it at an airport though I guess it could happen anywhere: I walk into the restroom and hear this dude yappin on the phone and "taking care of business" simaltaneously. I know this because every now and then he would flush and carry on talking like it was no big thing. Makes you never want to tiouch anyone else's PDA or phone.

. . . dont know what'd it do to my plumbing if I was already in a position of needing to use a public facility for the serious business, and along comes some guy, plops down on the throne and then gets on the horn with his buds on top it it. Think it'd be a week before I could unclench.

LMAO!

Maybe the guy had one of those things that hangs on your ear all day (hands-free, ya know)...

What you could do as a prank is get into the next stall and make REALLY loud noises for several minutes. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »

:laugh:  I have a friend who is an office manager for a small company and she's had to purchase new cell phones twice in the last year for one of the owners who keeps dropping it in the toilet!  (I didn't ask how he retrieved it!  Eeewwwww.....)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2009, 02:01:32 pm »
My niece in her mid-20s will answer her phone sitting in my living room and just start talking with no "excuse me" to me and others sitting there, and no attempt at a short conversation.  Suddenly this invisible, inaudible person has joined our conversation, and we, the people actually in the room with her, usually wind up being the ones who politely shut down.

What you might do is continue your conversation — loudly enough to hear each other over her cell chatter.  She'd probably either step out of the room with her phone, or get irritated.  Either way you can say "hey, we were talking."

I've wanted to talk to her about this behavior and how much I hate it for years, but don't trust I'll be pleasant about it, so haven't said anything yet.

Are you the one obligated to be pleasant?  It's your house; you can ask that people be polite there.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 03:15:13 pm »
Here's a tale from the other side of a public-cell-phone-use conflict. About a year ago, I was in Border's bookstore when my brother called. In retrospect, I should have just asked to call him back, but I figured we could be done fairly quickly. Frankly, I hate having people call me on my cell phone, I hate even talking on the damn thing under any circumstances, and I just wanted to get it over with. I couldn't leave the store, because I'd already picked out a pile of books and, as it was, clerks kept attempting to reshelve them every time I turned my head.

So I took my books and moved over into the otherwise empty gift-card/picture-frame area -- about 10 feet from the nearest bookshelves -- and tried to speak in hushed tones. My bro had called about some stuff involving our mom, who was ailing (this was a few months before she died), including health-care and banking issues.

A few minutes in, I noticed this guy crouched over by a bookshelf, as I said about 10 feet away, giving me dirty looks. I lowered my voice further, turned and moved in the opposite direction. Then, a couple of minutes later, the guy suddenly loomed up about a foot in front of my face, and started loudly proclaiming in a sarcastic way: "Oh, gee, we're all just so interested in your bank accounts and all that stuff, so why don't you just tell us all about it and disturb everybody in the store while you're at it, and blah blah blah ..." He was talking really loud, right in my face, making it impossible to continue my conversation with my brother, though I could hear him on the other end laughing hysterically.

Finally, I managed to end the conversation with my brother. The guy meanwhile drifted away to the center of the store, and was examining a table of books. I went up to him and said, "You know, I'm sorry if my call disturbed you. But it was my brother, and he was calling to tell me some things about our mother, who is dying, so --" And he interrupted, "Oh, isn't that too bad? Well, gee, I have my problems too, but that doesn't mean I can just go into a bookstore and bother everybody in the place and blah blah blah ..."

I just looked at him and said, "You know what? You're a jerk," then turned and walked away.

So he literally YELLS after me, "Oh, isn't it nice to just walk away when you can't think of anything more to say blah blah blah ..." his voice echoing throughout the store.

I was kind of shaken, but afterward I had to agree with my brother that it was funny and ironic, especially the part about him shouting after me at the end. I'm sure the guy had been waiting for years for that kind of opportunity. And I have no doubt he wound up much more frustrated by the encounter than I was.

I haven't had a cell-phone conversation in a book store since then. But oddly, I have on at least two occasions heard other people talking on their cell phones in book stores -- including right among the book shelves. In both cases, I'm pretty sure I would have hardly noticed them at all if not for my previous experience, and neither one particularly bothered me. When I heard them, I just smiled.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »
God! Any Borders Ive been to are always really noisy - what a dick.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/