Author Topic: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?  (Read 38802 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:13 am »
What no doggy bags?? We do it all the time here unless its a really exspensive restaurant. The ONLY thing I don't like about doggy bags is if the waiter leaves the bag and box for me to fill. Thats a bit too tacky for me.

I almost always have to ask for a doggie bag. Or a box. Sometimes it is a box. A styrofoam box. A doggie box I guess. Restaurant portions around here are WAAAAY too large. It's such a waste. And I know if I don't ask for a doggie bag, (or box :-\  ) they will just throw it away and I can't tolerate something like that.

My Mom used to say "there are starving people in China" when I was young. That always stuck in my mind. Wasting food is a terrible thing. So, I take it back home and heat it up the next day for lunch... and give a little to Cody too. He always gets a little treat in his bowl later on! :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 02:38:38 am »
The only problem I have sitting at the bar is that

1) smokers sit at the bar.  I don't smoke and don't like the smell when I'm trying to eat

2) I'm short.  The bar stool and bar are normally higher than I can comfortably sit and eat (I'm not reaching down for my food and drink, I'm practically reaching across)

I can relate; #1 is just about obsolete everywhere I've been in the past few years - many city ordinances have seen to it that places that serve food are now smoke-free.  Though I guess it's not nationwide yet.  I agree that I won't sit at the bar if it's smoking.

#2 is a problem I also have; it's like I've developed a second set of manners for bar food.   :-\

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 02:40:45 am »
What no doggy bags?? We do it all the time here unless its a really exspensive restaurant. The ONLY thing I don't like about doggy bags is if the waiter leaves the bag and box for me to fill. Thats a bit too tacky for me.

Yes, I'm all about the doggie bags too.  I've got mixed feelings about who does the preparation.  I don't mind preparing it myself.  Only higher end places prepare it for you, in my experience, so I guess I'm used to it.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 02:53:43 am »
Yes, I'm all about the doggie bags too.  I've got mixed feelings about who does the preparation.  I don't mind preparing it myself.  Only higher end places prepare it for you, in my experience, so I guess I'm used to it.

You mean you trust them with the cooking but you don't trust them to place your leftovers in a bag Lynne?

Good lord! The cooking part is the scariest part (in my opinion). Putting it into a bag is the least of MY worries! :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 02:58:59 am »
You mean you trust them with the cooking but you don't trust them to place your leftovers in a bag Lynne?

Good lord! The cooking part is the scariest part (in my opinion). Putting it into a bag is the least of MY worries! :laugh:

No, it's not a matter of trust.  The whole process is an act of faith.  ;)

It's just can be awkward to do it yourself, but most places don't pack it for you, so I guess I don't expect it.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 03:03:44 am »
No, it's not a matter of trust.  The whole process is an act of faith;)

It's just can be awkward to do it yourself, but most places don't pack it for you, so I guess I don't expect it.

I know what you mean sweetie. I've seen some very disturbing videos on CNN, MSNBC, CourtTV and others. After seeing those videos it makes me want to never go out to a restaurant again. :P

But I don't want to bring THAT up just now. Needless to say, it's always wise to be nice... very nice to your waiter or waitress. :laugh:

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 08:05:43 pm »

I love the concept of doggie bags.  We have a dog, and he gets very upset if we go out to eat, and dont bring him back a treat.  He is spoilt, what can I say?

Beautiful mind

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 08:19:26 pm »
       I love the concept of doggie bags.  We have a dog, and he gets very upset if we go out to eat, and dont bring him back a treat.  He is spoilt, what can I say?

In a nonpartisan nonpetison spirit, I want to add that back before my mom usurped custody of my kitties from me (the Boston era), I would always order Caesar salad with anchovies, then pack up the anchovies for Oberon & Titania.  They were wild for anchovies!  The folks at my regular haunts knew to do it for me without me even having to ask!

;) :laugh: :laugh:

In summary, a kittie bag is a viable option too!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »
that must be american. You dont really do doggy bags in the UK.

In Spain neither. Sometimes I do ask for a doggy bag especially when there are too much leftovers, and my friends think it is embarrassing. I'm like, why? We paid for the food, it ours!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:15 pm »
My Mom used to say "there are starving people in China" when I was young.

I have a friend who went to her grandmother's house for dinner.  Grandma made a meal that my friend didn't like, so she refused to eat it.  This exchange took place:

Gramma:  "You eat that meal!  There are millions of starving people in China that would love to have it!"

friend:  "Oh yeah?  Name three!"

She was made to leave the table, which is what she wanted in the first place.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!