Author Topic: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?  (Read 38818 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Dining Out - Pleasurable or Painful?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 10:37:41 pm »
Gash, I was having so much fun, I hadn't even noticed we'd gone off topic.  :laugh:

(What was the topic again?)  ;)   ;D

I can't remember anymore! ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2009, 12:24:46 am »
There's a cafe near my place of work. I used to go there a lot and I introduced lots of new custom to them over the years. They made the best, to-die-for lasagne in town and had a scrummy selection of fabbo salads to choose from.

I was having lunch there on this particular occasion with a work colleague. I'd ordered my usual lasagne with Greek salad. We were half way through our lunch when I noticed something alien in my salad. It was just a tiny speck but had unmistakably once had a heart-beat!

Because I'd eaten there so many times before and knew how squeaky clean the proprietors were, I didn't make a big fuss about it. Needless to say, I didn't eat any more salad but I did finish my lasagne. I also didn't want to distress my companion, and put her off her lunch. I made sure the little critter was out of sight. It was just a tiny speck.

After the meal, I collected our plates and took them to the counter, telling my friend that I would order coffee in the process.

The proprietors knew me very well. We weren't buddies exactly, but I had been eating lunch there for years (not every day, but certainly a couple of times each month). I showed them the bug (a husband and wife Greek couple run the place) and they hit the roof. They were angry . . . at ME! The man denied it being a bug (it did look a bit like a speck of salad herb) until I said, "It's got legs!" At which point he begrudgedly offered me the coffee for free.

I haven't been back. They're loss. There are lots of other restaurants and cafes around St Leonards and Crows Nest, where I work.

Know the feeling.  I've found bugs in my Chinese food - a caterpillar that looked like a piece of broccoli, but I kept putting off eating until I got to the bottom of my dish and realized what it was,  half of something with legs in my chiliburger, knocked a roach off a friend's shoulder in a Chili's restaurant,  things like that until people stopped wanting to go out to eat with me.  I was eating in a famous Tex-Mex cafe, food was great, salsa scorching and then, across the room, under a table, I saw half of a roach.  Dying, he kicked his legs throughout my meal.  Not sure what cut him in half, but my eyes kept drifting to him.  I've never eaten there again.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 12:42:54 am »
In order to manhandle this thread back into place, I would like to mention that EDelMar and I always like to get our share of vegetables when we go to the New York Deli across the street from our place of work. We always order the celery soda!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2009, 01:08:36 am »
Know the feeling.  I've found bugs in my Chinese food - a caterpillar that looked like a piece of broccoli, but I kept putting off eating until I got to the bottom of my dish and realized what it was,  half of something with legs in my chiliburger, knocked a roach off a friend's shoulder in a Chili's restaurant,  things like that until people stopped wanting to go out to eat with me.  I was eating in a famous Tex-Mex cafe, food was great, salsa scorching and then, across the room, under a table, I saw half of a roach.  Dying, he kicked his legs throughout my meal.  Not sure what cut him in half, but my eyes kept drifting to him.  I've never eaten there again.

You should have pulled a Victor Victoria Del. Well, I guess it would have only been half of a Victor Victoria because you didn't sneak the roach in there with you. ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 01:09:57 am »
In order to manhandle this thread back into place, I would like to mention that EDelMar and I always like to get our share of vegetables when we go to the New York Deli across the street from our place of work. We always order the celery soda!

It did go a bit off topic didn't it Lee? Sorry about that.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2009, 12:02:14 pm »
I was eating in a famous Tex-Mex cafe, food was great, salsa scorching and then, across the room, under a table, I saw half of a roach.  Dying, he kicked his legs throughout my meal.  Not sure what cut him in half, but my eyes kept drifting to him.  I've never eaten there again.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I don't mean to laugh, because if that was me, I'd have gotten up and left.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 12:04:15 pm »
We always order the celery soda!

I've seen this soda, and never tried it.  I always say "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwh" when I see it.   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2009, 04:30:13 pm »

Celery soda Lee? You've got to be kidding me! I've never heard of that before.

I remember a few years ago when they sold soda containing some controversial flavors such as turkey, fruitcake and some others. I don't think they even sell them anymore. I can't imagine why! ;) :P

But celery? Does it really taste like celery Lee? It sounds absolutely disgusting! :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 04:42:27 pm »

I've seen this soda, and never tried it.  I always say "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwh" when I see it.   :laugh:

ewwww yuck. That looks really nasty. Maybe you should buy a can and taste it for us Chuck. If it makes you ralph, I'll send you a bottle of Pepto Bismol compliments of moi. ;)

If Lee likes it it couldn't be ALL that bad... could it?

Lee, I tried those fish tacos and those really scared me (although they really weren't half bad) but I'm going to skip on the celery soda. They probably don't even sell it around here anyway. I've never heard of it before.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »
nobody call suedes turnips?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/