Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913084 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1730 on: July 13, 2017, 01:01:30 pm »
I am really enjoying Lawrence Wright's article about Texas (July 10 and 17), but, as seems to me to be so often the case with The New Yorker today, the article is way too long.

Texas seems to have way more problems than a refusal to drink coffee. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1731 on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:24 am »
I am really enjoying Lawrence Wright's article about Texas (July 10 and 17), but, as seems to me to be so often the case with The New Yorker today, the article is way too long.

So true! I was recently reading something -- I can't remember the topic, but it was kind of interesting. Then I flipped ahead and realized there were about six more pages and just thought, oh forget it, and moved on.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1732 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:01 am »
So true! I was recently reading something -- I can't remember the topic, but it was kind of interesting. Then I flipped ahead and realized there were about six more pages and just thought, oh forget it, and moved on.

I did that, too, recently, and I can't remember which article it was, either.

But if you skip the Wright article, at least page through it and read the part where he writes about the late, great Anne Richards. I think that's the best part! (Apparently Gov. Richards and that other late, great woman, Molly Ivins, were on a first-name basis.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1733 on: July 14, 2017, 01:31:40 pm »
But if you skip the Wright article, at least page through it and read the part where he writes about the late, great Anne Richards. I think that's the best part!

Thanks for the tip!

(Apparently Gov. Richards and that other late, great woman, Molly Ivins, were on a first-name basis.)

That doesn't surprise me -- I imagine they knew each other well.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1734 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:23 pm »
Wow! Looks like the July 24 issue is loaded with interesting things to read.

Right now I'm reading Peter Hessler's article about Grand Junction. I've been through Grand Junction on the train, and it looked like a place I wouldn't want to live. Hessler is only confirming my impression.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1735 on: July 21, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
I'm reading Nathan Heller's piece about the release of a huge cache of Enron emails in the most recent issue. If it had been about Enron, I wouldn't have read it. But it's about emails, and the things average people write in them. Heller is a good writer, and so far the article is entertaining if not hugely informative (so far).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1736 on: July 21, 2017, 10:45:33 am »
I'm reading Nathan Heller's piece about the release of a huge cache of Enron emails in the most recent issue. If it had been about Enron, I wouldn't have read it. But it's about emails, and the things average people write in them. Heller is a good writer, and so far the article is entertaining if not hugely informative (so far).

Thanks for the review. I's sure I would have read it anyway, but I'm glad to have your take on it.

Coincidentally, on Today this morning, they had a discussion about "tweets you should never have sent."

I wonder if that's replaced "e-mails you should never have sent"?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1737 on: July 21, 2017, 01:32:01 pm »
OK, over lunch I finished the Hessler article. It frightened me. It really frightened me. I don't know which seems worse to me, Trump remaining in office, or what might happen if he were somehow removed from office.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1738 on: July 22, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »
OK, over lunch I finished the Hessler article. It frightened me. It really frightened me. I don't know which seems worse to me, Trump remaining in office, or what might happen if he were somehow removed from office.

Yikes. Now I'm kind of scared to read it.

Coincidentally, on Today this morning, they had a discussion about "tweets you should never have sent."
I wonder if that's replaced "e-mails you should never have sent"?

They both still exist. But tweets can be far more damaging. I read a book about people who tweeted things -- mostly lame attempts at humor that came off as racist or otherwise disrespectful -- whose lives were ruined. For example, you may remember Justine Sacco (I couldn't remember her last name right away, but it came up in the list of Google suggestions when I typed in "Justine") who tweeted to her followers, who numbered in the low hundreds, "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding! I'm white" -- an attempt to make the point that AIDS hits the black community disproportionately higher but that was interpreted as racist by pretty much the whole world. She boarded a plane and spent 11 hours in blissful ignorance of the fact that she was the No. 1 trending story on Twitter, with the hashtag #hasjustinelandedyet. When she got off the plane, her phone started going crazy with messages of sympathy from people she hadn't talked to in years -- that's how she found out. She wound up losing her job (as a PR person, which arguably isn't a good fit for somebody with poor communication judgment) and for years could not get hired for years.

The author, Ron Ronson, a British journalist, told about half a dozen stories just as horrific. In each one, the person lost their job and sometimes were afraid to leave their house because of death threats. For one victim of this worldwide internet shaming, Ronson got a firm to do pro bono what it usually charges hundreds of thousands to do: scour someone's google search results by flooding the internet with innocuous stories about how much they love kittens or whatever.

He compared the Twitter shaming to old colonial practices like the stocks, designed to publicly humiliate and shame. Twitter does something similar except that the whole world participates.

In contrast with emails, my brother worked with a guy who called the boss a motherfucker or something like that and accidentally hit "reply all." Not only did he keep his job, but apparently the boss wasn't even that upset.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1739 on: July 22, 2017, 02:50:40 pm »
What was it about the story that frightened you, friend Jeff? Was it the language the Trump supporters used when they said they were going to deliver Colorado to Trump: "We're going to start on the Western Slope and do a sweep east and color it red"?

I've overheard such language from my Republican son-in-law and my daughter. I was alarmed at first but then I realized it was all bluster.

There is a larger question related to this that I will ask you over on your blog, if that's okay.
"chewing gum and duct tape"