Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913088 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1750 on: July 27, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »
I'm almost done with the Strait article, and I'm tempted to read it again any make some notes. It's making me feel I've missed something that's maybe important.

Strait and I wear the same brand of jeans.  ;D  He's obligated by contract, but I'm not.  ;D

Maybe I should think about wearing my jeans "stacked."

Read the article to see what "stacked" means.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1751 on: July 27, 2017, 03:48:46 pm »
I wish I'd brought the issue to the hospital with me! I'm here waiting with my mom, who's getting partial hip replacement surgery in a bit.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1752 on: July 28, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »
If anyone hasn't yet seen this Ryan Lizza article about the call from Anthony Scaramucci, drop everything and read it immediately. Don't wait til lunch hour because it's somewhat nauseating.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

The big question is, WWSD? What would William Shawn do with that piece? I'm sure he could never have foreseen the day, but you can't just bleep that stuff out.

It's the closest I've come to thinking Steve Bannon looks respectable in comparison. I hate him, too, but not for reasons having anything to do with self-fellatio.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1753 on: July 28, 2017, 09:21:21 pm »
If anyone hasn't yet seen this Ryan Lizza article about the call from Anthony Scaramucci, drop everything and read it immediately. Don't wait til lunch hour because it's somewhat nauseating.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

The big question is, WWSD? What would William Shawn do with that piece? I'm sure he could never have foreseen the day, but you can't just bleep that stuff out.

Probably not much. TNY has already fallen a long way from Mr. Shawn's standards.

Thanks for the link. It's so recent that I assume it's only going to be available on line. The July 31 issue arrived in my mailbox only today; I've been wondering where it was. By the time the next hard copy issue is out, Scaramucci's little chat with Ryan Lizza will be long gone from the news cycle.

I guess Mr. Shawn couldn't foresee that day either. I mean the magazine being available on the Internet. I guess he was dead before there was an Internet?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1754 on: July 29, 2017, 11:14:25 am »
Probably not much. TNY has already fallen a long way from Mr. Shawn's standards.

Well, it may have been up to his standards in writing and reporting (though I feel like TNY wasn't as newsy in his day). Ryan Lizza demonstrates astonishing professionalism, under the circumstances. I might have succumbed to just sitting there staring at the receiver in shock.

But Shawn was so vehemently opposed to letting swear words go into print. And simply using the F-word is about the least of Scaramucci's offenses in that phone call.

Thanks for the link. It's so recent that I assume it's only going to be available on line. The July 31 issue arrived in my mailbox only today; I've been wondering where it was. By the time the next hard copy issue is out, Scaramucci's little chat with Ryan Lizza will be long gone from the news cycle.

You can tell the difference when you look at the online version -- if it just says the date, it's online, if it says "From the July 31 issue" or something like that, then ... well, you get the point. Sometimes I find myself reading stories from the print version online.

I guess Mr. Shawn couldn't foresee that day either. I mean the magazine being available on the Internet. I guess he was dead before there was an Internet?  ???

He died in 1992, so the internet technically existed, but was used mostly by techies and, I think, some academics -- way under the radar for most people. I first got onto the internet in early 1997. Yikes, it's hard to believe it's been 20 years. That means, roughly estimating, I've probably spent something like four solid years on the internet.

But Mr. Shawn was 85, and the majority of people that age don't even venture onto today's internet. (I just got back from a big convention on aging, so I know this for a fact. I was surprised to hear that even over 65, a third of people don't use the internet.) I can't see @Mr.Shawn on Twitter or anything.

I found out about this story, of all places, on my Kindle, which for some reason offers me Washington Post stories. (I hope I'm not paying for them somehow.) The WaPo story was linked to the NYer story. Even my own paper covered it in this tone of, like, "Can you believe this latest thing?" I try to be pretty circumspect on Twitter but after reading that story, feel like if I ever got in trouble for saying something (very mildly) negative about this insane administration I would point to that front page.

So yesterday I posted that I felt sorry for "House of Cards" and that watching it now is like watching "The West Wing." Anybody here watch HoC? Kevin Spacey is supposed to be playing this conniving, evil, ruthless politician, but it started during the Obama years. Now, compared to real life, Spacey's character seems like he'd make a pretty decent president. Oh, he may have killed a couple of people, which Trump hasn't done (that we know of). But he'd at least know how to give a decent speech to the Boy Scouts, for Pete's sake. And his staff would know how to talk to a reporter from The New Yorker. Compared to 45, he's practically Jed Bartlet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1755 on: July 29, 2017, 03:52:28 pm »
Ryan Lizza demonstrates astonishing professionalism, under the circumstances. I might have succumbed to just sitting there staring at the receiver in shock.
I second that! And Scary Mouth tried to intimidate him into giving his source, with the Mafioso language but he didn't budge!

...I first got onto the internet in early 1997. Yikes, it's hard to believe it's been 20 years. That means, roughly estimating, I've probably spent something like four solid years on the internet.
I got on the Internet in 1994 when I went to work for a DOE laboratory, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Printing costs for their brochures and other literature were a big part of their budget, so everyone was really excited about and pushing to get everything on the "Information Superhighway" instead.

...I just got back from a big convention on aging, so I know this for a fact. I was surprised to hear that even over 65, a third of people don't use the internet.)
That must have been fascinating! I hope you will share other things you've learned there.

I found out about this story, of all places, on my Kindle, which for some reason offers me Washington Post stories. (I hope I'm not paying for them somehow.
My paper, the Denver Post, gives a free subscription to the Washington Post. I think they're trying to compete with other national papers like USA Today, WSJ and NYTimes.

... he'd at least know how to give a decent speech to the Boy Scouts, for Pete's sake. And his staff would know how to talk to a reporter from The New Yorker. Compared to 45, he's practically Jed Bartlet.
:laugh: Who?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1756 on: July 29, 2017, 05:26:06 pm »
Ryan Lizza demonstrates astonishing professionalism.

I always read him.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1757 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:27 am »
Hard to believe, once again I'm actually caught up on the magazine. I had to bring a book with me to work to read over lunch.

Incidentally, I expect I will have no problems with my subscription for next year. I've already received a renewal notice, and I just went ahead and paid it. I'm not taking chances.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1758 on: July 31, 2017, 09:27:41 pm »
Actually, I guess I'm not as caught up as I thought. I found the July 31 issue buried under a stack of papers on my dining room table.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1759 on: July 31, 2017, 11:06:59 pm »
Now that Scary Mouth is gone, I wonder if TNY will even print that awful phone interview.