Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1912924 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1910 on: March 21, 2018, 10:24:40 pm »
Hmmm. It does seem
rather sweet--

[youtube=960,540]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0rh1xduHyE[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0rh1xduHyE

Ferris wheel scene from Love, Simon
Nick Robinson and Keiynan Lonsdale

Love, Simon kiss scene 😍😍
This movie was sooooo goood . You guys need to watch Love, Simon immediately !!!

Check me out Below ❤️❤️

Instagram: Iamspicyfruitcup
Snapchat: Based.Jah
Twitter: Spicy Fruitcup

Bye babes ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Iamspicyfruitcup
Published on Mar 18, 2018

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1911 on: March 21, 2018, 10:45:06 pm »
You mean, age-wise or orientation-wise?

I meant the age of the target audience. I've never seen a John Hughes movie, and one reason for it was because I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that the target demographic for the audience was YA. But how much younger were the characters than the actors playing them?

Judd Nelson is 58, so not much younger than you. Molly Ringwald is 50.

I don't get your point about the age of the actors. Today is Nick Robinson's (Simon) birthday. He's 23 and played a teenager.

In Call Me By Your Name, Armie Hammer, age 31, plays 24, and Timothee Chalamet, age 22, plays 17. (I haven't seen the movie, but I'm currently reading the novel, and I'm assuming the ages of the characters in the movie are the same as in the book.)

One might consider that the age differences between the actors and the characters aren't enormous, so I'm just sayin', but the friend who likened Love, Simon to a John Hughes movie also said he had a problem with Call Me By Your Name because he couldn't accept Armie Hammer as a 24-year-old graduate student. He felt Hammer was (or came off) too mature for the role. (My own opinion is that in the novel Hammer's character seems more mature and self-aware than might be typical for a 24-year-old, or at least a 24-year-old roughly 30 years ago.)

Judd Nelson was (turned) 27 the year The Breakfast Club was released; I haven't checked, but I assume he was playing a teenager?

I guess Molly Ringwald is the "outlier." It appears she actually was (turned) 16 when Sixteen Candles was released.

(I say "was [turned]" because I checked the birth years for Nelson and Ringwald, but not their birth dates.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:42:51 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1912 on: March 22, 2018, 06:37:23 pm »
Judd Nelson was (turned) 27 the year The Breakfast Club was released; I haven't checked, but I assume he was playing a teenager?

Correct that he was playing a teenager. My math says he was 25. But still, you got your point across. You don't care for movies whose main characters are teenagers, regardless of the age of the actor.

I tend to be that way, too, but with exceptions. I wasn't actually as big a fan of Oscar-nominee Lady Bird as most people were/are. But I liked Easy A.

(I say "was [turned]" because I checked the birth years for Nelson and Ringwald, but not their birth dates.)

Tip: If you google "Molly Ringwald age" it will come up in big numbers across the top of the page, with her birthday right below it. Below that are the ages and birthdays of associated figures, like Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy. And you can google "breakfast club year" and the same thing happens with movies (Feb. 14, 1985 -- three days before Molly Ringwald's 17th birthday.

Oh, I just discovered you can do something even easier. Scroll down to the list of frequently googled questions about the topic. One is about the ages of the cast members. Click on that, and you get:

How old was the cast of The Breakfast Club?
Ages of the Breakfast Club actors during filming: Judd Nelson (25), Molly Ringwald (16), Emilio Estevez (22), Anthony Michael Hall (16), Ally Sheedy (22).

Probably not a question you'll be googling frequently, but it works on lots of topics.

Yesterday I was haunted by the idea that I had seen, and in fact was actually pretty familiar with, one John Hughes movie. But I couldn't think of one. It just came to me: Ferris Buehler's Day Off. I liked that movie when I first saw it but now I hate it, and not just because Matthew Broderick was 24 and playing a teenager.

BTW, yesterday was Matthew Broderick's birthday.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1913 on: March 22, 2018, 10:16:47 pm »
Correct that he was playing a teenager. My math says he was 25. But still, you got your point across. You don't care for movies whose main characters are teenagers, regardless of the age of the actor.

That would very much depend on the film. No, I wouldn't care for a film full of teen angst--I don't watch TV shows about it, either--but I would probably like Call Me By Your Name. The book is difficult to put down--I could sit up all night reading it. Plus only one of the main characters is a teenager. If a 50-year-old friend liked Love, Simon, I might well like it, too.

But something like Sixteen Candles or The Breakfast Club? No.

I just really didn't get your point about the ages of the actors.

I didn't Google, incidentally. I just took my information from IMDb.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1914 on: March 23, 2018, 09:47:45 am »
I didn't Google, incidentally. I just took my information from IMDb.

Well, if that meant first going to IMDb and then looking up individual actors and movies one at a time, I was just pointing out that googling is faster. You type in "Molly Ringwald age" once and you not only get her age and birthday but also those of her fellow Brat Pack actors and a bunch of other related information -- all on the same page, all from typing three words. Google, incidentally, lifts the information from places like IMDb and Wikipedia or whatever would be appropriate.

I'm not saying this particular issue will ever come up for you again, but this technique works with a lot of things.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1915 on: March 23, 2018, 10:42:28 am »
Well, if that meant first going to IMDb and then looking up individual actors and movies one at a time, I was just pointing out that googling is faster. You type in "Molly Ringwald age" once and you not only get her age and birthday but also those of her fellow Brat Pack actors and a bunch of other related information -- all on the same page, all from typing three words. Google, incidentally, lifts the information from places like IMDb and Wikipedia or whatever would be appropriate.

Yes, I've noticed that about other things, mostly when I need to verify things at work.

When it comes to movies, TV shows, and actors, my default setting  ;D  is IMDb. If the information there is unsatisfactory, I Google.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1916 on: March 23, 2018, 01:16:01 pm »
When it comes to movies, TV shows, and actors, my default setting  ;D  is IMDb. If the information there is unsatisfactory, I Google.

I might use IMDb if I wanted to, oh, deep dive into the cast of a movie or look up an actor's earliest roles or see if anyone is still posting on the Brokeback page, if it even still exists. For basic info, Google seems faster.

For instance, I found myself curious about the age of Tad Friend, the guy who wrote that New Yorker article about ageism that I posted somewhere around here. Up popped large font with his age (55), his birthday, his New Yorker staff writer caricature, and pertinent facts lifted from Wikipedia: a brief paragraph explaining who he is, where he went to school, books he's written and the name of his dad, who also has a Wikipedia entry in case I was curious. Which I'm not.

I will say that I once looked up Julia Louis-Dreyfus' age that way, and saw that her father was also in Wikipedia, got curious enough to click his name and discovered that he's one of the richest people in the world. I never knew that about JLD's background.

UPDATE: I thought one of Friend's book titles sounded interesting, so I clicked on that. It took me to the Amazon page, where I learned this: "Tad Friend's family is nothing if not illustrious: his father was president of Swarthmore College, and at Smith his mother came in second in a poetry contest judged by W.H. Auden--to Sylvia Plath."

And that was interesting because I'd just been thinking about how the college admissions process sustains a non-meritocracy system. Not that this is a great example -- Friend's parents sound like they probably do have merit.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1917 on: March 23, 2018, 03:31:13 pm »

I meant the age of the target audience. I've never seen a John Hughes movie, and one reason for it was because I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that the target demographic for the audience was YA.

Oh dear!  Is this embarrassing or what??  ::) ::)

I loved  Sixteen Candles (1984)--and I was just over 30 years old when the movie was released. I thought it was the cleverest thing (and very, very funny!)--and I had a small crush on Jake (Michael Schoeffling)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOiRMN5nRO8[/youtube]

(Is that a FANTASY or what!!   :D :laugh:)

Nine months later, I also loved  The Breakfast Club (1985)--with great soundtrack!--and, of course, the sensitive jock Andrew (Emilio Estevez)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXBvor47Zs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3CUh8v7MNo[/youtube]

Nearly 6 years after that, a very different, NOT brat-pack, NOT John Hughes film (this one written and directed by Allan Moyle): 36-year-old me  loved, loved LOVED, Pump Up the Volume (1990)--with my MAJOR crush Mark Hunter (Christian Slater--sigh!) (and the amazing, totally cool soundtrack also)!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSzz-t7ywVM[/youtube]

You know, Jeff--you might find yourself liking some of these 80s film--they certainly have their own charms!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:39:35 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1918 on: March 23, 2018, 06:49:21 pm »
Oh dear!  Is this embarrassing or what??  ::) ::)

John, we all have our guilty pleasures.  :)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1919 on: March 23, 2018, 11:30:50 pm »
John, we all have our guilty pleasures.  :)

HA!  :laugh: (Thank you for being so tolerant, Jeff!  ;D )

"Camping Out"