Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913001 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2040 on: January 03, 2019, 02:36:07 pm »
I just read the review of Aaron Sorkin's To Kill a Mockingbird (Dec. 24 & 31). The review is accompanied by a drawing that's supposed to be Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch, but I think it looks more like David McCallum.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2041 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:11 pm »
William Finnegan's surfing article (Dec. 17) is too long by half, and he uses language that's comprehensible only to other surfers, which I think is a bad idea in a magazine with general interest readers.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2042 on: January 14, 2019, 04:21:37 pm »
I found Patrick Radden Keefe's Jan.7 article about Mark Burnett, and Burnett's relationship to the Fake President, appalling, enthralling, and enlightening.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2043 on: January 14, 2019, 05:23:12 pm »
Yes, John posted the article in its entirety here, just a few posts down.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2044 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »
Yes, John posted the article in its entirety here, just a few posts down.

Yes, I saw that, and I wondered if posting it violated some copyright or fair use provision (sorry, John), but I didn't say anything.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2045 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:14 pm »
Yes, I saw that, and I wondered if posting it violated some copyright or fair use provision.

Not really.

Reprinting part of an article (with credit and ideally a link) is fine, and reprinting all of it probably isn't a big deal if you credit the author and publication. If the New Yorker or the writer (whichever owns the rights) saw it on BetterMost and wanted it taken down, we'd have to do it. But I doubt they'd consider it a big deal under the circumstances -- John credited the author and publication and it's available for free online (albeit on a New Yorker page, which would have ads and get clicks that could help sell space to advertisers, which I guess would be the only possible issues -- they'd lose the clicks from the four or five people who would read it here instead of there).

Jeff probably won't see this, but FWIW for anyone else who's interested.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2046 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
I had my bedside-table New Yorker open to Malcolm Gladwell's piece about marijuana and was all ready to read it until I ran across a thread on Twitter pointing out serious flaws in it. The guy on Twitter, a science journalist, had covered the same issues for ProPublica and had used some of the same research. He pointed to places where Gladwell had cherry-picked data or misrepresented conclusions from the research. He posted screenshots of Gladwell's sentences next to shots of the research paper, so it was pretty persuasive.

How disappointing, because I've always liked Malcolm Gladwell, and have learned a lot from reading his articles and a couple of his books. I realize in recent years he's come to be seen as kind of a hack who manipulates data to support points he wants to make. The opinions were always sort of vague as far as I knew, but this really spelled it out.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2047 on: January 21, 2019, 08:39:15 pm »
Today is January 21, and today I actually began reading the January 21 issue! :laugh: (And the issue doesn't seem to have much of interest to me.  :( )

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2048 on: January 23, 2019, 01:37:25 pm »
In the Jan. 21 issue, there was an article on the filmmaker Donnersmark's biopic of the artist Gerhard Richter. It quotes Donnersmark saying, "There's a German word, übergriffig, which means reaching into a space that isn't really yours. You know how some people just do not respect your space? It's usually people whose space was violated in a meaningful way. They don't recognize the difference between me and you, and just go right into your soul."

He was saying it about Richter but, ironically, Richter could say the same about him.

The author, Dana Goodyear, mused later on that "Charting the underpinnings of one's own creative impulses is a murky, perhaps counterproductive, business. That's what interpreters--journalists, biographers, filmmakers, shrinks--are for." As interpreters, we think we are doing a service, but are we?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2049 on: January 23, 2019, 02:21:40 pm »
I was disappointed by the article about Hell.